Macy's - Home Store / deceptive selling practices & b.s. delivery fee

Costa Mesa, CA, US Review updated:

On 08/15/09 at 2:39pm Pacific time, I went online to the Macy’ web site to review the item (“Blair Leather Ottoman in Taupe color”) I wished to purchase. I called the phone number [protected]) to discuss availability and shipping. I was told it would cost $80 to deliver the item to my house. Since the item only cost $299, I asked if they could tell me if it was in stock at a nearby Macy’s retail store so I could pick up the item myself to avoid paying a delivery charge. I was told that I would have to contact each individual store location directly.

Afterward, I called the Macy’s Home Store at the Costa Mesa, California (South Coast Plaza) location. I spoke with “Sue” a Sales person in the furniture department. I asked her if the “Blair Leather Ottoman in Taupe color” was “in stock?” and she said that it was in stock.

At approximately 5:50p I went to the Costa Mesa store to purchase and take home the Ottoman. I met with “Sue”, now known to me as “Sue Munro, Furniture Sales Consultant”, the very same Salesperson I had spoken with earlier in the day. Now she told me that I would have to pick it the furniture item up at the City of Industry Pick–up location. So when she had me on the phone that “the item was in stock, ” it was not at the store location. In fact they keep no furniture inventory at the retail store location. So she lied to me. Why did I have to make a trip to the Macy’ store at all? I knew what wanted. She should have taken my order over the phone and saved me a trip. Clearly, she should have told me over the phone that all furniture must be picked up from the City of Industry location as they maintain no inventory at the retail stores.

Now the worst part is that I, not only do I have to make time to travel to the City of Industry which involves additional costs and probably 2 hours of travel time round trip, depending upon traffic conditions, but as the Salesperson processed my purchase, she told me that I had to pay a “$25.00 Delivery Fee.” Delivery Fee! What delivery fee? They are making me pick up the item myself requiring approximately 2 hours of driving time. I should charge then a time and gas fee

So I have to pay a $25 Fee to pick-up my own furniture and they have the gaul to call it a ‘Delivery Fee.” The salesperson tried to explain that at the warehouse ”they have to take it (furniture) down from a palat.” What? This is a Fraudulent Charge and it is insulting that they tried to charge it me.

This ‘Delivery” fee was never disclosed to me when I spoke to the Internet Furniture Sales Salesperson. It was never disclosed to me when I called in to the Retail Store and spoke with Sue. There are no signs posted in any prominent manner in the store that all furniture must be picked up by the customer at the City of Industry with a $50 Delivery Fee assessed unless the customer opts for home delivery which involves a different, higher fee schedule.

This is very bad business indeed. Macy’s should be stopped from imposing “a delivery fee” when the customer picks up merchandise. They should stop the practice of stating that “an item is in stock” when in fact, they do not maintain furniture inventory at the retail store locations.

Ti

Comments

• Sf
      Sep 24, 2009

I absolutely agree. I just got off the phone with Macy's who advised me that to deliver an Ottoman to my house they would charge me $85. If I pick it up myself from the "warehouse" in Youngstown I would only be charged a $25 "delivery" fee. When I queried why should I pay a delivery fee when I am in fact "picking up" they told me it was because they had to move the item from their inventory center on "Bailey Rd." in Canton. When I advised them that I live less than 20 mins from said road they advised me that I would still be charged the fee because there is apparently a "crew of men who will be waiting there to help me load it"! When I advised I did not require a "a crew of men" to help me load an ottoman she told me that "no one has the authority to waive the fee", and basically admitted that it is impossible to purchase this particular ottoman for the price it is advertised at.

To her credit the customer service rep advised that she fully understood my complaint and "wished" she could help. I suggested that Macy's just jack the price of everything they sell up $25.00. If they'd done this with me I'd have purchased it and been none the wiser.

Silly Macy's...don't TELL people your stealing from them right before you try to steal from them!

• Te
      Oct 27, 2009

I purchased a recliner at JC Penney's in Oregon, it was next to a outlet store that sells only chairs where I went first. I decided to see what Penney's had and they had one I decided to buy that was on sale. I wanted to pick it up, due to the fact if it is home delivered I have to pay Washington sales tax and nobody had the one in the color I wanted in stock. I prepaid for it and was told I had to pay a $50 delivery charge, upon asking why I had to pay a delivery charge if I was picking it up at the store. I was told that I had to pay for it to be delivered to the store, from the factory. I paid it because the chair was on sale and still cheaper than any of the others that I had looked at and it was more to deliver it to my house and I would have had to pay sales tax if delivered to my house.

They get every dime they can squeeze out of you, no matter where you go. One of the local tv stations is promoting a story they will show Thursday at 11 pm about Macy's selling a cz bracelet as a diamond one. I have a feeling that whoever bought it didn't realize that stores sell CZ bracelets in fine jewelry. We shall see, it is the start of sweeps month so they could be twisting the story for those viewer numbers.

• Ri
      Dec 09, 2009

Macy's should be ashamed. A $25.00 charge for picking up furniture? I run a very succesful small office furniture dealership in Oregon. We never charge someone if they want to pick up an item from our location. What a bunch of HOOEY!!!

• Or
      Oct 28, 2015

I just went to my local macys store to purchase a Liam sectional power reclining sofa for $1899 and just because of the delivery fee "185" i end up not getting it. How many "2000 dollar" customers they lost because of that? At the end of the day, it will cost them more than $185 to keep that item in stock when they could just move the inventory.

We all know that the delivery fee is a rip off because there is no way of getting around it, so why donT they just include it in the price? You see their intentions towards their customers?
    I've done more research and here what i found out. In the beginning it seems that they want to sound more competitive with their prices and move the inventory but then i found out that they donT care about selling the items as much as they care about making money on you.
    Its your decision if you want to do business with them but if you do at least you need to know this before you spend your dollar with them.