Macy's / hired, than told the position I was hired for was given to someone else upon arrival to my orientation

1 Valley Plaza MallBakersfield, CA, United States Review updated:

I was interviewed Wednesday, July 15th for a sales associate position at Macy's. I was hired on the spot and signed hiring papers. I was told to come back that Friday for orientation. Upon arrival at my orientation I was told the position I was hired for was given to someone else and that I actually wasn't employed. Then I was interviewed again with the same exact questions I answered earlier that Wednesday. After, I was told I would be called if any positions opened up. In summation, Macy's appears to be incredibly unorganized and completely inconsiderate of potential employees time and energy. I have no further interest in working for this company and will never purchase from them again. Understandably, there's nothing Macy's can do to compensate my time and effort in this frustrating experience. However, I do suggest management not hire on the spot until they are sure the position they are hiring people for is actually available to avoid being unprofessional.

Vi
Jul 17, 2015

Comments

Ke
  17th of Jul, 2015

With your attitude I doubt you would have lasted long anyway.

Vi
  17th of Jul, 2015

I'm sorry Kevin Richards, but your comment is neither useful or relevant to this situation and seems to be a little personal.

Re
  17th of Jul, 2015

Well Victoria, the fact that you saw fit to say Macy's hiring practices aren't professional makes you sound judgmental and unprofessional. You are on a general complaint site, not the web site for Macy's, therefore you have left yourself open for criticism.

17th of Jul, 2015

Nope you have bad attitude and I doubt with your attitude you would last long even if they did follow through. Perhaps if you grow up and stop acting like you are four years old they would want to work with you.

17th of Jul, 2015

Well looks like you are just butthurt because you did not get the job. Face it someone was more qualified than you, but you think that with your hollier than thou attitude that you are better qualified. I seriously doubt they hired on the spot, you must have been mistaken.

17th of Jul, 2015

Obviously you were mistaken by what they said and someone was better than you.

17th of Jul, 2015

Also how is Kevin Richard's comment personal?

Ks
  18th of Jul, 2015

It sounds like they probably hired a friend, relative, or a previous applicant. Sounds unorganized to me.
Mive on to something better.

18th of Jul, 2015

I doubt it was that kstew, once they found out the OP's personality they changed their mind. assuming the OP was not mistaken.

Th
  20th of Jul, 2015

It is a legitimate complaint if she signed hiring papers, was given a start date, showed up for that start date and then told that she was no longer needed.

20th of Jul, 2015

Do you really believe everything you read The truth you must know, for all we know she could be lying about all of that and be angry because she never got the job and thought she was better than everyone who applied. Had she been black she would have played the race card, since she is not black she has to result to lying.

20th of Jul, 2015

Yeah and you believe everything you read don't you truth.

20th of Jul, 2015

She is most likely lying about signing the papers and angry she did not get the job.

20th of Jul, 2015

If she were black she would play the race card, since she isn't she has to result to lying and saying she was promised a job she was not.

Th
  21st of Jul, 2015

"Do you really believe everything you read The truth you must know, for all we know she could be lying about all of that and be angry because she never got the job and thought she was better than everyone who applied. "

Yes, she could very well be lying. All you or I can do is judge the complaint on it's face and the events described in this complaint, assuming it is truthful, is a legitimate grievance.

22nd of Jul, 2015

Racism is alive and doing quite well. Kevin Richards' comment about playing the race card is offensive on so many levels. Discrimination in employment is REAL, and clearly those with the benefit of white privilege don't see it because they don't experience it. This whole notion of "playing the race" card is insulting and biased given the history of this country. Minorities are always accused of "playing the race card", but no one acknowledges that the majority has the rest of the deck, using at their will or whim. This woman more than likely experienced what she has shared. Sure, someone more qualified or simply the interviewer like more after making an offer is more than likely what happened. They more than likely didn't want to rescind the offer, in the event another position opened prior to the orientation. In any event, I believe her and it was probably a blessing in disguise.

Au
  27th of Oct, 2015

She should talk to an attorney about unlawful discharge.