Macy's / macy's may have ripped us off this time!

We purchased all of our furniture from Macy's thinking it will be quality and last for some time. The salesman also insisted that we purchase the "extended warranty" which I am usually against. However he insisted that unlike other companies, this particular one is offer by Macy's itself and that it covers anything that can possibly go wrong with the items. After viewing the warranty paperwork, I realized he could be right since is said with large print "Macy's warranty" on the top.
Well, almost a year later, we started having problems with the cushioning of the items in several places where the frame appeared to be exposed. Also the recliner (which was one of the most expensive pieces) kept of getting stock. There are 3 people that live in our household and one is only 2 yrs old.

After calling Macy's, they directed me to an 800 number. After staying on hold for over 40 minutes, I got an operator on the line that proceeded with asking really stupid questions like when did the problem start, as if anyone logs this sort of thing. He went round and round until he finally said, non of the above are covered under the warranty. When I questioned why, he said it gradual wear and tear and that is not covered under the warranty. I said wear and tear of this magnitude in a year, he said "yes". I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was denied that chance, he went on to say they are not a part of Macy's, they have nothing to do with Macy's and when I said I don't think I would ever shop there, he said "he couldn't care less". I immediately called Macy's and asked for the sales person that sold us this crap and of course he no longer worked there. The lady said that she felt my frustration and that she would schedule for an in house inspection, a month later. The inspector came and agreed with us completely on our statements and said someone will be in touch in 3-5 days. 3 weeks later we called to find out what happened and were told that the inspector denied our claims even though he was in agreement with us at the house (we were told this is a tactic used not to be confrontational while at customer's house). I was outraged and called the furniture depart. Supervisor that scheduled another in house inspection (another month later). The same thing happened again.

To date we have no resolution. The store manager still hasn't called me back.

Here is a tip. DON"T SHOP THERE. If you do, just take your chances with the product and DO NOT BY THE SCAM THEY CALL EXTENDED WARRANTY.

Macy's may have ripped us off this time, but I think in the long run, they really ripped themselves off. Bad customer service will not get any business far, even one as large as Macy's.

If you shop there, specially for big ticketed items, GOOD LUCK!

C

Comments

• Va
      30th of Nov, 2006

The Furniture was ordered on 8/5 with a warehouse delivery date of 8/7. Through a frustrating series of attempted phone calls and visits to the store, on 8/29 I found out that our order had been mysteriously canceled, and delivery moved from August 7, to after September 21. Phone calls didn't work, as you cannot reach anyone in that dept. by phone. Finally I reached a Manager who, after research, told me I'd never been given an early August date. (I have it in writing.) Then, since that late September date,it took 6 attempts to get all 4 pieces of the bedroom set delivered. There was damage on the bed each time, though in different places. The delivery drivers were 1 hour early on 2 of their delivery attempts. As a decorator who doesn't live on the property it was always a problem. Now that the furniture has finally been delivered. (November 15, last piece in place). The client called today to say the drawers aren't working properly. I could never recommend Macy's and am embarrassed as a professional to have had a client inconvenienced such as this. I had so many other choices. Believe me - Never again!

• Ka
      3rd of Mar, 2008

I have had the worst experience with Macy's Furniture department. My wife and I had a credit from our warranty company to purchase a new couch from Macy's. Initially we had good service, but I think that was just so they could get the sale. We have been working with Mary Ann Cunningham and John Mcgill at the down town Portland Location. When my wife and I selected the couch that we wanted, they made the mistake of making a $ 1,557.00 charge to our checking account. I understand mistakes happen, so we where forgiving of that. Next my wife and I decided that we wanted to change the color of the couch. Mary Ann Cunningham insisted that we could not change the color. We thought that was kind of suspicious so we called another Macy's and spoke to a different associate, who told us it was an very easy procedures to change the color of the couch. All they had to do was cancel the order and create a new order for the correct color that we wanted. When finding this out we contacted John Mcgill at the down town Macy's. Mary Ann Cunningham was on Vacation at this time. John canceled the old order and created a new order, when doing that for the second time making the mistake of charging our checking account again for $1,557.00. We called and disputed the matter. Macy's was not supposed to take any money out of our account. John then tried to fix the situation by canceling that, but what ended up happening was an additional charge was made. Now $ 3,114.00 was taken from my account. After days of being on the phone and dealing with this mess. They finally managed to clear up the issue. Also we had put in several calls to the manager at the down town Macy's branch and never heard a word from her. We finally received our new couches in the color that Mary Ann said she couldn't change them to. Now again they have recharged our checking account $ 1,557.00. So again, I am for the fourth time, dealing with the same situation. I will be placing a call to my bank to alert them that this is a fraudulent charge that I never once authorized Macy's to make this charge. I will never do business with Macy's again. I understand mistakes happen, but how can the same location make the same mistake four times in a row? It completely baffles me. This has been a great inconvenience. I can not remember the last time that I received such poor customer service.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MACY'S. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF.