Macanthony Realty International / scams

1 Bulgaria Review updated:

We and many others have had massive problems with MRI, Macanthony Realty International. Promised rental deals not materialising, being told that they only use reputable developers, then finding out the developers are totally untrustworthy and are using the apartments without permission. People being made to buy apartments different to the one they viewed - inferior apartments, no after sales rental, inability to re sell apartments. It goes on and on.

Iz

Comments

20th of Dec, 2008

I purchased a property through MRI, a development in Bansko Aspen Golf . The development overran by several months, i was finally told it was complete in July, i am still waiting to get my keys!!! I have left several messages and emails and to no avail. Their rental section have called month on month to try to sign them up, i in no uncertain terms told them where to go. They are complete cowboys in every respect. The property was over priced, the construction was delayed and i have yet to get my keys. Why will they not hand over the keys???? It does not take a genius to work out. I tried to make a complaint and NONE of the so called chiefs had the decency to call me back. I have purchased 5 properties through them and have had major problems with all of them. Steer clear, false promises and lies.

• La
      21st of Dec, 2008

Re.MRI Scams. Before they change their name to maybe DCC Property. Read what other victims have said about them. We have to stick together on this. /link removed/ www.overseasCafe.com, www.theanswerback.co.uk As their lawyers have alrady stopped people like eyeonspain from anay comments at least the [redacted] can say what they like including former employees. the MacAnthony family are a disgrace.

• La
      21st of Dec, 2008

I wish to add to my complaints of malpractice with MRI that all victims should read the following. SCAM victims of MRI macanthony reality international READ more about this company and let anyone you know wishing to buy from them what is in store for them.

www.darraghmacanthony.com
    www.mrioverseasproperty.com/mri-team.aspx
    www.foromarbella.com
    www.blogcatalog.comtopic/darragh+macanthony

The fact that they have lied about furniture packages, lied about rentals must make us feel great to know that they are possibly setting up another company under DCC property
    READ www.investmentpropertyrumours.blogspot.com

and those like my friend who bought in Cyprus. READ about the mri malpractice www.news.cyprus-property-buyers.com

23rd of Jan, 2009

I have had nothing but trouble with this company I parted with my money to join there rentals team and have had nothing sent to me not even a client number, no answer to emails, no answer to phone calls, always going to call me back but dont does anyone know how to go about reporting them or trying to get money back i have never known a company so deceptful and full of lies.

• Bo
      24th of Jan, 2009

Have nervously listened to my fathers worries regarding his retirement investment, a property in Bansko, Bulgaria purchased through so-called MRI overseas properties. On closer inspection of the paperwork and following a bizzare phonecall from a Bulgarian mortgage company stating that Bulgarian Government prohibits banks from giving any further mortgages as agreed, phone your Lawyer! A google search shows it appears he has just thrown 38000Euros into the bottomless pit of these scam artists pockets. Can we really call them a Company? Can they not be named and shamed on national media?

• Ri
      27th of Jan, 2009

Can we just double check the information regarding Bulgarian Morgages not being available to anyone.I am aware there is what i regard as more than a unhealthy alliance between the morgage brokers the solicitors and the company we all use to share the same bus going to the exhibitions and a fair amount of the staff worked for Both MRI and the morgage company at one time or another they were even part of the MRI training package that you recieved in there head office in Marbella, I think it may be closed now.
    I deeply regrett having worked for these people even if it was for thank god a short time, thankfully i was not one who signed there ushal gagging order that they make all staff sign when you leave the company or everyone would be a hell of alot wiser to this shower.

• Ni
      29th of Jan, 2009

My brother and I bought 2 properties in Bansko in Bulgaria from MRI.this was 2 years ago.I bought 2 furniture packs and we were assured that we would be in by jan 08, well here we are Jan 09 and no keys, deeds, act 16 or furniture packs. I spent £130 on my apartments. what legal redress have we? Bulgarian law i understand is useless. I have been informed that although we were sold a Ski/Golf property we cannot use the Pirin Golf Course by Ian Woosenham as it is a private course.

Can anybody mirror this experience?

NIGEL

• Ne
      12th of Feb, 2009

Got caught in the MRI mortgage loop ultimately losing apartment I'd put a 30% deposit on, and furnished.

Neil
    Swansea

• Fl
      26th of Feb, 2009

I agree with all the comments on this page. I too have been ripped off by MRI. I also bought and paid for their furniture pack. Now that my apartment is finished they are demanding more money from me. Over 1000 euros for vat or some such nonsense, If I do not pay this they will keep all the money I have already paid and I will receive no furniture. When I threatened legal action. They responded by basically saying 'bring it on'. We are a Spanish company . Legal action will be very expensive, will take years and we will won. I am in a catch 22 situation. I don't trust them and don't want to throw good money after bad.

Flatcap

• Re
      9th of Mar, 2009

I have also purchased with mri and also took on their aftersales package (waste of money) they were no help at all with some of the problems i had, they just passed me from one person to another.
    I have found other apartment owners more help than mri
    there are some owners forums over at
    www.bsc.ukgo.com

• Mg
      20th of Mar, 2009

I'm in a similar position in Bansko ... I've setup a personal webspace giving some more info ...

Thanks.

• Bo
      25th of Mar, 2009

I too have purchased through MRI back in Mar'07 and it has been a nightmare ever since. I could write about all problems I have encountered but this would be the size of the New Testament by the time I finished.

The highlight however, has been that we were basically advised by MRI representatives in Bansko, when we asked about financing the investment as we were not wanting to release equity to do so, that "we shouldn't worry about getting finance as someone will give you finance over here".

After nearly a year of going through the mortgage application with CFP, who were introduced to us by MRI on our initial visit to Bansko, and numerous calls from MRI wanting us to sign up for this and that if we didn't want to miss out, we were eventually given initial approval in Nov'08 only for it to be taken away in Dec'08 due to the bank concerned pulling all such products from the market. This left us in a difficult situation in that we had no money to complete the investment and were in danger of losing the 20, 000 euro approx we had already forked out to MRI and their sidekicks for property, after sales, rental management services etc.

With no other avenues open to us in which to raise funds we were resigned to the fact that we would loss all the money we had already invested. We weren't too impressed by this as it was MRI et al that led us into this situation in the first place by making such false statements as referred to above.

To add insult to injury we have recently received a letter from lawyers of MRI in London that they wish to take us to court for the outstanding balance owing on the property in there "due to the loss of opportunity to sell to another buyer"! Yeah hilarious!

This has caused us a lot of worry and stress but we have not secured anything against the project so I’m not sure what these people think they can achieve from this action.

If the law is equitable and stands for justice surely these crooks don't have a leg to stand on unless they stole it from one of their many scammed customers. It is them that should be taken to account for their deceitfulness and down right fraudulent activities.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; my advice is to stay well clear of these crooks

• Ia
      26th of Mar, 2009

I am just about to complete on a property in Cyprus, Adriania luxury resortin Peyia. Is ther any body else out there who is in the same position. I still have to pay a 5% final payment before completion.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreicated

Ian

• Co
      12th of Apr, 2009

we too have been scammed by mri. we purchased 3 properties in Palm Marina in Bulgaria. Joined the aftersales which was just another scam.paid for 3 furniture packages amounting to 22, 400 euro. now they want an extra 4, 500euro for vat. we wont be paying. we were told our furniture would be cancelled and no refund given. Has anyone gotten a solicitor on to them or taken them to court. it is barefaced robbery. dont no how they are allowed to get away with it.causing us a lot of anxiety and stress. has anyone gotten their money back for their furniture or has anyone paid the vat and had their furniture installed. Please let me know . any advice welcome.
    colette

• Ge
      24th of Jun, 2009

Has anyone used/heard of Solution Overseas? I believe they are part of the MRI Group?

• Mr
      1st of Jul, 2009

This company are nothing but thieves. Our build in Bansko was supposed to be complete in March 08. Still waiting, even though they demanded the last payment at Act 15 in November.
    This morning, they demanded another 20% for "VAT" on the furniture pack we paid for in 2007!!! Pay up or you will not get your furniture...

Thieves, pure and simple.

I really do not think that I would get the furniture, even if I paid the extra 20% Currently looking for a solicitor to help out here. The distance selling regulations ust surely apply.

Same her with respect to the "lifetime after sales service" - HA! rip off that was!

###!

• Cy
      13th of Jul, 2009

There is a place in HELL for a company like this - and people who steal the life savings of good hard working people.

• Mu
      24th of Jul, 2009

we have been invited by mri construction to a meeting in Birmingham or London in August.
    This is to discuss the completion of our property in Bansko, we have put down 50% deposit but cannot get a mortgage now for the balance.
    A very arrogant and rude man named David Jenn from Mri construction said if we didnt turn up for the meeting we would be taken to court in Bulgaria and then consequently have a judjement against us in the UK to seize our assets. We will probably go to the meeting just tell him what we think of MRI. I can't see how any court in Bulgaria can have any ruling in the UK, plus it will probably take them years to get to court.
    Has anyone had any similar conversatiions with MRI regarding property in Bansko?

• Cy
      31st of Jul, 2009

Check this web site out, if you want the real scoop on the MacAnthony Realty gang

MRI Support Group - Misled Realty Investors Support Group.

4th of Aug, 2009

Hi Muggedup,

I think you will find they are right, I own a property in Almeria Spain and could not complete on my 3 bed penthouse apartment due to the banks removing the mortgage product!! They are now pursuing me through the Spanish and UK courts to recover the money and force me to complete. Bulgaria is no different due to it now being a part of the European Community and these new laws fall with EU regualtions. So if I where you I would be careful how you handle this situation and actually work with the developers and not against them.

And it will not take years either, more like a few months. The developers have the rights and the law on their side so be aware, dont be stupid.