M Model and talent Agency Inc. / Unprofessional

1 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Hello everyone, I know this is going to be a little off from my normal types of blog posts out there but I just want to put word out there to help any girls or guys out there who are trying to achieve their dreams. I don't want anyone to fall into the potential traps out there or money grabs without being educated or knowing as much as they can before figuring stuff out for themselves.

*disclaimer: I am not saying I am right and that I know every single thing about the company and how excellent they are, I am just sharing my personal experience and thoughts*

In the past few weeks I have been starting to strive for my dreams in the modelling industry since you all probably know my dream is to model in Japan. I have been hunting for modelling agencies in Toronto that might suit my needs or that would be willing to help and support me. I did quite a bit of research online to learn a little about the industry before taking a swing at things. I found a few agencies near by in Toronto that were not just for high fashion models.

There I came across mmodels.ca . I creeped their site and it seemed okay so I also looked into their facebook and blog. Everything seemed OK, nothing to amazing but it seemed like they were getting stuff done so I figured I would apply and see what they had to say. After I applied I learned about ACTRA Toronto which is a community that has a certain rule to modelling agencies type thing. GOOGLE IT! I will not reiterate :P Basically the agency wasn't on the list for that community so I was like foooooooock okay I will still wait to hear from them,

About a week later I got a call from them asking me to come in for an interview. And this is where it all begins...

The women on the phone did not inform me of whether I had to bring anything with me! So I did research on what to bring to an agency and figured out you need to bring your portfolio or a CD with your photos on it and a resume. So I thought it was strange that the women wouldn't mention anything like that.
When I got to Toronto and was trying to locate the building there was no sign... I walked into the build number they provided me with but there wasn't even a sign on the inside within the list of other companies within the building. So I literally had no idea if this was the true location or not :S I had to randomly go to floors asking if this was MModels. When I found it, it was just a secretary and she said yes this is MModels. I found it very suspicious that there wasn't a single company sign on the outside or inside of the building. Not even the front desk! Now the place looked clean and nice don't get me wrong. But very suspicious. ( I did not go alone)
I was 10 minutes early for my interview and I waited 40 minutes past my interview time to see the agent! The agent was 40 minutes late to see me! On top of which no one informed me why he was late, how long I would have to wait of even tell me he would just be a minute. I just sat there while the secretary was awkwardly quite and evasive.
When the agent finally showed up it was a man which caught me off guard. I was under the impression I was going to be meeting someone else from the emails I shared with her and talked to on the phone. She did not mention I would be meeting with some one different and in the end of my emails I said "I look forward to meeting you ____" and she replied the same! wtf! >.<
The interview was horrible. We rushed into his office and he apologized to me for being late. The interview was a huge rush. He basically told me what an agency does. Which I already knew, he flipped through his booking system on his computer "showing me how it worked" Signed one of his clients up for an audition and asked me if I had any questions! I asked him some basic stuff about pricing. He said they cover the cost of everything which sounded amazing! Until after his very fast talking he said except for comp cards you pay those yourself. He tried to move onto a new topic about portfolios but I stopped him to ask how much for the comp cards and he said 500$!!! Sorry but I am poor as ###...
During the interview his phone was ringing off the hook! It was so painfully awkward that after the 4th call I just told him to answer it. Then after that his cell phone started ringing... like seriously bro... turn off your phone in and interview. You were already 40 minutes late to bring me in you should at least be prepared by now. After that he took my CD with my photos and scheduled me in for a second interview and gave me the agency agreement sheet to read over. By this point I just wanted to get out of there. He didn't even stand up to shake my hand good bye.
"The worst interview I have ever had... I have had better interviews for grocery stores where they are 10X more professional"

I had plenty of time to do more research on the place but there was hardly any reviews out there on them. But I had plenty of time to re think the situation over and over.

2 days before my second interview I was browsing craigslist for part time jobs since I may need extra work soon and found an ad from MModels looking for talent! I was like... well that is odd, why would an agency in the heart of the fashion district need to post ads on craigslist of all places. So That got me a little iffy about this place.

I am personally taking this modelling seriously since it is a long term dream of mine to model in Japan! I don't want to be with a company that will throw themselves at who ever.

But I figured I would give the second interview a shot and see how they are this time and if they are more serious and professional. They called me the day before to confirm I was coming in and I confirmed.

I was 5 minutes late for the interview since it was raining a lot and traffic into Toronto was backed up even though I left 2 hours early.

but...

I waited 30 extra minutes for him!!! He was late by 30 minutes to the interview!!! Thank god I didn't show up early again.

I almost just stood up and left but my sister and I said we would give it 5 more minutes then leave.
But he finally showed up. The most unprofessional situation ever.

The second interview was the exact same as the first one which surprised the hell out of me. I thought he was going to tell me all about his work, what he can do for me and how promising it looks for me... But he basically showed me the same stuff as before, said the exact same stuff and I asked the exact same questions.

He handed me the contract and read over it with me and it was meh.

Then he asked my sister if she had any questions because I brought her in with me this time.

She asked him the exact same question I asked him in the first interview about the comp cards and how much they would cost and he lost his mind on her!!!

He raised his voice and said "Do you even understand what comp cards are?!" I was like :O:O:O:O:O!!!

I asked him the exact same thing a week ago and he explained it politely and calmly to me. And my sister said well I know professional photographers who could do it for us for next to free. And he went on a rant on how they need to be through the company.

NOW, I understand composite cards need to be through the agency because YOU as a model are through the agency but over $500 is a steep price for someone starting out. And for anyone who has done their research they would know printing composite cards is not nearly that expensive to put together.

Along with that; the contract stated it was an open contract and that if the model isn't exact to regulations he or she can be terminated at any given time... So basically if they decided I "did" something wrong they can cut me off and take my over 500+ dollars in comp card money but I get to keep my portfolio.

His reasoning for the price being so high? He said I have to pay that much because some models only go to 10 auditions then don't go anymore, so agency loses money.

The contract also stated you would be considered a FREELANCER...
Uhm I can freelance myself through ModelMayham... For free.

I thought to myself :

Maybe you should learn how to interview people... he did not once ask me why I want to model, what my aspirations are, why I want to do the kind of work I want or what kind of companies am I interested in.

To me it sounded like they are a company that will take anyone who is willing to put the 500+ deposit in and then cut them if they don't feel like they fit the bill.

*Thankfully he had his phone off this time LOL*

To sum it up:
Unprofessional
Pricey
Sketchy/risky 1 year agreement
Not interested in your goals or dreams
I later took a closer look at his business card and realized he was the Senior Agent!!!

Sorry you need to be more professional if your going to be the top senior agent of a modelling agency.

Remember ladies and gents, Don't sign anything. Do your research and pay attention to their body language, how they address you and how they interview you.

A modelling agency should care to know about YOU and why YOU want to model and what YOUR goals are!

You are what will make them money after all!

An agency will cover the cost of everything, comp cards are an exception but they should NOT cost half a grand. You can print your own professional cards for way less then that.

Respect is important.

I am not super cocky in my looks or think I am the most beautiful person around, but I know through personal freelancing that I have a good look and can find modelling gigs with ease and shouldn't be treated like that at a modelling agency that isn't for high fashion.

If I went to a high fashion agency like Elite models then I would expect them to be like... uhm... your too short to be represented by us.

And shooo me away.

But not by a commercial print agency.

Now I am not telling you to beware of MModels. If you are willing take the huge risk in it and drop over 500+ on business cards then by all means go ahead.

But for me this is something I don't have the money for... I only have 70$ in my bank account right now! :P

But I am more warning you of how unprofessional the business was, especially with the Senior agent who represents the company in a whole.

Plus if he wasn't interested in my look I doubt he would have wanted to see me again.

So be careful! And go see for yourself if you still are interested.

That is my story. I wish you all the best of luck.

BEFORE YOU GIVE ME SOME DIRT NASTY COMMENT, REMEMBER,
I AM SHARING MY TRUTHFUL EXPERIENCE! I AM NOT BASHING THEM.
I WENT TO MMODELS VERY VERY EXCITED AND WITH AN OPEN MIND.
THIS WAS JUST MY EXPERIENCE.

THIS POST IS:
NOT AN ATTACK ON THE COMPANY.
NOT SAYING THEY ARE A SCAM
NOT SAYING THEY ARE FALSE
NOT SAYING THEY AREN'T WORTH YOUR TIME.

Cu
Jun 4, 2013

Comments

• Cu
      4th of Jun, 2013

but...

But he finally showed up. The most unprofessional situation ever.

He handed me the contract and read over it with me and it was meh.

The contract also stated you would be considered a FREELANCER...
    Uhm I can freelance myself through ModelMayham... For free.

I thought to myself :

*Thankfully he had his phone off this time LOL*

To sum it up:
    Unprofessional
    Pricey
    Sketchy/risky 1 year agreement
    Not interested in your goals or dreams

You are what will make them money after all!

Respect is important.

And shooo me away.

But not by a commercial print agency.

So be careful! And go see for yourself if you still are interested.

That is my story. I wish you all the best of luck.

BEFORE YOU GIVE ME SOME DIRT NASTY COMMENT, REMEMBER,
    I AM SHARING MY TRUTHFUL EXPERIENCE! I AM NOT BASHING THEM.
    I WENT TO MMODELS VERY VERY EXCITED AND WITH AN OPEN MIND.
    THIS WAS JUST MY EXPERIENCE.

THIS POST IS:
    NOT AN ATTACK ON THE COMPANY.
    NOT SAYING THEY ARE A SCAM
    NOT SAYING THEY ARE FALSE
    NOT SAYING THEY AREN'T WORTH YOUR TIME.

• Bk
      9th of Mar, 2017

Damn thats crazy, have you been signed by an agency yet? I got a call from them earlier this week for an interview. I have read alot of negative reviews about this agency and some good; im mot sure what to do; they claim they have done 2 of drakes videos as well as a few mtv commercials but theres alot of people that say they are a scam ahh