M & I Bank / Lack of Goodwill

1 1341 Greenwood CourtShakopee, MN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 952-233-8440

As a teacher at a Shakopee Public School, Sun Path Elementary, I am involved with a school fundraiser called Pennies For Patients. It has been heartwarming to see how excited the students have been to donate their coins to benefit the Leukemia Society.

Unfortunately, a pall was cast over my fundraising efforts that left me greatly angered. I was eager to get a count of the coins collected mid-week. I made a phone call to the nearest bank to the school- the M & I Bank located on Greenwood Court. I was hoping to take the coins to that bank to use the coin counter since it was the closest in proximity to the school. I called ahead of time, stated my name, my school and the reason why I hoped I could use their coin counter. I was told that there would be no problem. I reiterated my request several times; Sun Path students had collected a large amount of coins. At this point, the weight of the coins was incredibly heavy. I did not want to have the slightest chance that there would be any problem when I arrived at the bank. Having been reassured several times that I would be able to use the coin counter, I felt confident that I would not have an issue.

Sadly, that was not the case. When I arrived at the (nearly empty) bank, the manager refused to count the coins with the coin counter. I stated that I had called ahead of time, but she said no- because I was not a customer. I offered to pay a fee but was also rebuffed. I was told that there would be ‘no benefit’ for the bank to help me with this.

I understand that banks have policies, however I am disappointed that the employee with whom I spoke to on the telephone was unable to inform me of the policy when I had asked several times. I am also sad that when the M & I Bank employees saw me struggling into the building lugging the weight of thousands of coins that, out of goodwill, could not have helped a local school (not to mention a worthy cause).

Given the nation’s current animosity towards the banking institution, I cannot say that the folks at M & I Bank helped bolster my confidence or trust in banks. I now know that I cannot take my school’s coins there to be counted. I also know that I will not ever consider that branch of M & I Bank for any of my future banking needs.

Sb

Comments

• Cl
      20th of Sep, 2009

That's really sad to hear. No, it doesn't benefit the bank directly to let you use the coin counter -- but it doesn't cost the bank anything to let you use the coin counter either. The manager should have kept the promise that the employee had made (even if the promise shouldn't have been made), because it really benefits an institution like a bank to be known in the community for keeping its word. Sounds like the branch manager was terribly short-sighted.