M Billing Hot Planet / Unauthorized debit

1 San Jose, CA, United States Review updated:

My account was debited for $34.95 without my authorization. I have filed a police report and filed a fraud complaint with my bank. When I called the 800 number on the electronic check (image) I was told that I must have purchased this subscription. I told them I did not and this was a fraudulent charge. They said they would see what they could do to reverse the charges. I feel like all I did was confirm information for them. I sent out an email to other direct sales consultants I know and 4 others have been victimized also. Where are they getting our information? I don't use this account very often but I caught it because I monitor the activity through electronic banking.

Comments

• Ri
      30th of Dec, 2008

I received an overdraft letter yesterday (12/30/08), from a bank that I rarely do business with. This bank account was opened a few years back when I started a Mary Kay business which I am not doing anymore. I also used this account for Propay which was tied to the Mary Kay business I left this bank account open with a small balance.

The charge was to PHE Subscriptions (Pink Home Entertainment) on 12/19/08 for $34.99. This was done as a check draft using my routing and checking account #. The toll-free number on the check (866 #) is to a place called MBilling (also has several other similar names) that states they only handle the payment part and that they are a 3rd party. This is not true. This whole thing is a scam. MBilling, however will refund you if you do call and complain. They will only tell you the basics and they also state that they are in Cyprus which is untrue. If you cannot get through with the above 866 #, then they have a few more #'s: 866-296-7952, 800-876-0930, 218-740-6479.

If you had this happen to you there is a detective in North Carolina that is trying to put a case together. I actually spoke with him tonight and he has a lot of info about this scam. His name is:

Detective Flynn
    Pitt County Sheriff's Office
    252-902-2767
    dbflynn@pittcountync.gov.

Please e-mail him if you are one that has had their account violated; even if the name on the paid to area is different than PHE Subscriptions and it does not matter where you live in the U.S.

Also,

1) Cancel your bank account because they will keep using it.
    2) Go online to the FTC Bureau to open an Affidavit (step-by-step info)
    3) Go to your local police station to file a report.
    4) Notify/alert the three credit reporting agencies regarding the fraud.
    5) Report the companies to the BBB.
    6) Get a copy of the front and back of the check. Make sure it is legible or have the bank pull the original if you need to which I plan on doing tomorrow since it is hard to read my copy.

I hope this helps someone. Just know that there are good people like Detective Flynn working to get these criminals who belong under the jail.

• Em
      6th of Feb, 2009

The following is an email sent to me about this case from Detective Flynn.

The FBI took the case a month or so ago. They have been in contact with the "president" of M. Billing. I am not sure if they have made any progress or not. They were able to seize a fair bit of money from the company and as a result the compnay has been unable to do business.

So they have been caught. I just wanted all to know!!