Lynda Lemus / Unpaid claim

1 CA, United States Review updated:

My home was burglarized on 09/05/2009. All my jewelry, a shotgun, camera, computer were taken. Farmers insurance covered the new window and sent a check for a small amount to cover some replacement costs. I also received a letter that indicated that I would have to purchase other taken items and then submit the receipts for payment. I was hoping that my items were recovered when these theives were caught, but no such luck. I bought a new engagement ring and wedding band which are comparable to what was taken. Much more was taken, in excess of $26, 000 worth, but I chose to settle for just having a engagment ring and wedding band because the insurance company allows for $8, 000...OR so I thought. I submitted the receipt and now am told that I can't buy jewelry, it has to be other items instead. The other items taken are not as important to me. What difference should it make what I choose to buy? Not only were we given the run-a-round when asking to speak to our claim's adjuster Antwon...they kept saying he wasn't there, he's on vacation...etc. etc. The truth is he doesn't work there anymore and we were never given any information a new claims adjuster. I think Farmers insurance is the absolute worse company. We've been with them for 30 years and not only were were victimized by the ### who broke into our home, we were further victimized by FARMERS Insurance.

Ly

Comments

• Wp
      21st of Mar, 2011

I am sorry, but you do not have a leg to stand on here. It matters what items you buy because replacement cost could be different. If you have a TV that is stolen, the insurance company will pay you Actual Cash Value, meaning that a TV may have a 10 year life span, but it is 5 years old. Actual Cash Value will depreciate that TV by 5 years. Now, if you buy another TV and you have replacement cost, the insurance company will reimburse you for the additional amount. You should have your jewelry endorsed onto your policy. If you read your policy, there are limitations to theft due to jewelry and furs. Reason being is that I could tell an insurance company that I lost a $90, 000 ring. How do they know if I actually had it? If that ring is named specifically, then I pay a higher premium, but it is covered. E-mail me and I will be more than happy to help you understand what you have so you can protect yourself in the future. (shawn@dennisroseneagency.com)