Lufthansa / Flight from Munich to LA - left hungry

On 25th June 2006 I was traveling with ten students from Munich to Los Angeles with the flight number of LH 452.The beginning of journey looked quiet fine. Due to a very long journey we had been offered two meals. The first one was fine. But second one was meal with pork. Because we are from Turkey and are Muslim, we are not allowed to eat pork. My students are on the ages of 14 and 17 so I hold their responsibilities and their parents would be annoyed if they know they had eaten pork. So I asked a crew who was called P. Kamanaski if there was any other choice for me and for my students to eat with the explanation of that we are not allowed to eat pork. Her response was so furious and unrespetcful to me. She shouted at me and told me that it was the only choice for us to eat and it was pork. The two guys (one of them is called Andy and I can give his mail address if it is required) from USA who were sitting next to me unfortunately witnessed that unpleasant conversation.

The crew had already picked all the meal trash and we were nearly landing when another guy who was crew, too came and told me that the kids can have some sandwiches which were left from the first class. On that moment I felt very bad as we were begging food from someone, and sandwiches which were left from the first class meant obviously begging. Beside this if they had the choice of sandwich why that crew called P. Kamanaski did not told us this alternative first instead of being unrespetcful and shouting at us. So it was a very late choice.

As a being a member of Lufthansa Club and having the membership of Miles & More, I would like to ask and complain how can Lufthansa leave my group of eleven , ten of them children, hungry on such a long ( 12 hours ) air journey. We have been very insulted with the disrespectful behaviors. We paid for our traveling and we were not there to beggar food from the first class.

As a being Muslim we are not allowed to eat pork according to our religion. We expect there should be some respect to people’s belief and religion especially in a country like USA and Germany.

We are traveling back to home again with Lufthansa on the 16th July, 2006 and have some hesitations about being left hungry again. We all trusted Lufthansa very much and I hope they will recover their mistake.

Ne

Comments

• Lu
      29th of Apr, 2007

You should book muslim meals before the flight. Wouldn't be any problems.

• Be
      20th of Jun, 2007

Today morning my mother had a flight from Hamburg to London with Lufthansa airline (flight number LH 4790) and from London to Chicago with Virgin Atlantic airline. Since she is quiet old and also she came to Germany to visit me (his son) and doesn't know Germany, I went with her to the airport. Unfortunately at the check-in place in the airport, I met a very impolite Lufthansa personnel, I have never seen before. I think her name was something like "Akkari" and I think she was Indian. I used to travel to and from several airports and several agencies but I've never seen such an impolite, helpless and offensive behavior from any staff.

When we showed her my mother's ticket, she told us offensively that I can not issue your mother boarding card because the return ticket from USA to London is four days after her visa's expiration date (still I don't know if it is part of her responsibilities or not!!). However, I and my mother told her that the USA regulation for the duration of staying doesn't related to the expiration date of the VISA and provide her with the piece of paper with the logo of USA government that was sent by the USA embassy in Berlin to us which said that upon her arrival to the United States, the passenger should go to the immigration office and register her arrival and THEY will determine the duration of staying. Afterwards, the Lufthansa staff, told me I will show you the regulation. Then she showed the screen of her computer which said some regulations for entering USA and none of them leads to her conclusion and I told her that I can not conclude from any of them your statement. Then she told us, I should speak with the Lufthansa manager in the Airport because I can not make risk to issue you the boarding card!!! Then she went and came back after a while, and said that the document you are providing from USA embassy is from your travel agency and you are lying and my manager didn't know and I will try to ask the police officer. Then she made a phone call and after her call, she told us in a very impolite way that I will issue you the boarding card but in London you know and your Virgin Atlantic!!!

After that my mother was very upset and angry. I really don't why she did that kind of bad and impolite behavior to us. I heard some complaints about Lufthansa but I never imagined such a bad behavior with their customers.

• Z
      5th of Sep, 2007

It doesn't sound like you actually preordered your meals. If you don't inform them well enough in advance of your needs, you can't honestly expect any airline to take along extra food just on the off chance that they will actually need it.

• Be
      6th of Dec, 2007

Lufthansa, there are many better ways to fly other than with Lufthansa.
    I used to fly with Lufthansa between Germany to Malaysi, but since I know that their service bekame worse, I have changed to fly with Emirate or Singapore Airlines.

Advantages of LH:
    Everywhere Lufthansa advertisement.
    German Airlines

Disadvantages:
    -- Very unfriendly, disqualified service (low payment staffs without quality)
    -- Food is worse, sometime you will 20 cent Made in China noodle soup as lunch
    -- Internet Best Offer always anounced after the required dates so you can never get the "best price".
    -- If your baggage is damaged by LH no one takes care.
    -- If some one vegeterian Indian or non-pork eater Muslim has always problem, instead of saying sorry the service staffs ask them "why you don't book this food or that food", passengers are not happy.

All these are my personal experiences or what I saw with my own eyes.
    I doubt how long Lufthansa can exist with such service !
    It is immposible to compare Lufthansa with Emirate Airlines, Malaysian or Singapore Airlines.

• Ro
      26th of Jan, 2008

Lufthansa are a bunch of smelly poop heads. They smell of urinal cakes and fartiness.

30th of Mar, 2010

My experience with Lufthansa has always been orgasmic since the stewardesses were so kind to pleasure me in the restrooms in the back. I can't wish for better service.

• Al
      18th of Apr, 2010

God obviously wanted to experience you!

• Ob
      18th of Dec, 2010

Even if you order Moslem meal on Lufthansa, it's NOT halal meat. (They admit it on their website.) It just says it's "not pork" (which is not sufficient for Muslims). The owner of the complaint above apparently didn't know special meals had to be pre-ordered, yet nothing would have changed even if s/he'd had.

6th of Aug, 2012

could you please give me a call. My id is 21643775.

• Mr
      4th of Jan, 2016

I agree with most complaints against Lufthansa, I ordered a Muslim meal 6 months before my travel. Onboard when i said i ordered special muslim meal, the stweardess were staring at one another not knowing what a muslim meal or halal food was. Hurriedly they shoved vegetarian meal in my hands telling it is halal and went away. If they dont serve muslim meal why the hell do they provide the options while booking. vegetarian is different and halal muslim meal is different. very dissatisfied, this happened to me in my onward and return journey as well