Lucky Surf / Fraudulent Checks

Burke & Reinhart Law Firm
1263 West Lanford Ave 45018
Battle Creek
Phone: 647-887-0867
My husband received a National Sweepstakes Winner Notification letter from Lucky Surf.com located at 1263 West Lanford Ave. Battle Creek, MI 45018, yesterday congratulating him on winning $25, 000.00. Enclosed was an Official Check in that amount. The letter stated that a cashier's check was also enclosed to "offset the cost of a Prize Seepstakes Affidavit in the amount of $2950.00USD. The letter went on to read that the affidavit had to be obtained through the Law Firm of Burke and Reinhart and provided a contact person by the name of Karen Stevens and a number of [protected].
My family was ecstatic! My husband is recovering from 3 recent heart attacks and the diagnosis of PAD, CAD, severe diabetes, diabetic neuropathy and the damage associated with these complications. We have an enormous medical bill debt, not to mention the loss of income and medical insurance because he couldn't return to work! We have exhausted our savings, our son's college fund, we have nearly lost our home, and we have had to sell possessions just to buy medication and eat!
Obviously, receiving a notification of this kind, was thought to be a gift from God.
When we tried to call the agent, Karen Stevens with the Law Firm at the only number provided on the letter, we received a message that said, "You have reached the desk of Karen Stevens at Burke and Reinhart and that she is in the office but away from her desk or with another client. Please leave a message and I will return your call in 1 to 2 hours." Then the message states, "Sorry, there is no more room to record new messages." and then it hangs up. We tried for days to contact this person. We tried to obtain another number for Burke and Reinhart only to discover that the Law Firm doesn't exist, the address doesn't exist, and the phone number is a cell phone from Toronto Ontario. This letter has sponsors listed at the bottom from GAP, Food Lion, Google, Wal*Mart, and AAA! We contacted the bank, Woodforest National Bank, that the checks are issued from, to discover that the routing number is a valid routing number for their bank. The account numbers do not match any account at their bank, but they are signed with 2 signatures, they are official appearing checks complete with watermark security.
After repeated attempts to contact Karen Stevens, I did manage to reach her, but she said she was with another client and told me to call back in 2 hours. I told her that we have been trying to reach her for days. She said "They had experienced some technical difficulties, " "Call back in 2 hours, " and then she hung up on me. I have not been able to reach her since.
I have emailed Lucky Surf, explaining the situation and received confirmation that my inquiry was received, but I have not heard back from them. I attempted to send another email, but it was rejected stating, "I had exceeded the maximal message count for today."
Our family has suffered the loss of my mother, my husband's 3 heart attacks 6 months later, the loss of medical insurance, job, income, savings, college funds, and now the stress and heart break of thinking our prayers had been answered only to discover that it is a hoax. I sure hope there is a logical explanation and that Lucky Surf will make this right with us or the culprit(s) behind a terrible scam are brought to pay for this crime!

A  11th of Jul, 2009 by
I received the exact same letter, please let me know how you make out! AJBrunetti@Hotmail.com
A  11th of Jul, 2009 by
I received a letter from Lucky Surf that I was a winner of a National Sweepstakes Winner of 25, 000 and a check for 2950. to offset the cost of the prize sweepstake. I am single and the stress of the economy has hurt my business. I thought this was a dream come true. I was so excited I couldn't sleep. The next morning I got up and called Karen Stevens at the number that was provided only to get a recording that said to leave a message and she would get back within 2 business hours and the voice mail was filled up. I continued to call and did get a hold of her and she said for me to go to my bank cash the 2950.00 check and go to a payment center and send her the money for the affidavit so she could send me the paper work for me to go to H & R Block with my 1099 to claim my 25000.00 and I could pay the taxes right then or wait till the end of the year. I need to call her in 30 min. so she could tell me where to wire the money. I went to my bank and talked with a teller who said it was a scam and made copies of the check and was going to check it out. I called Woodforest National Bank where the checks were issued from and they wan't me to fax them a copy, I did, and got a call back and was told that the checks were no good not to cash them. If you get a check DON'tT cash it . you will be stuck with oweing the bank the 2950.00 that you sent to someone else.
A  14th of Jul, 2009 by
Hi everyone,
Today I received the same letter/checks, etc...
Here is my question for all of you on here who also received these items:
In the last month, have any of you purchased anything online or via an 800 number that you obtained from an infomercial on tv?

I do not want to list the name of any certain products in case they are totally unrelated to this check-scam BS, but I do get the feeling that the company selling the item I purchased is either in cahoots with these check-scam jerkoff's, OR they are rotten souls who sell off their customer lists ten seconds after receiving your info.

Please comment on here if you did in fact purchase any infomercial product in the last 30 days.

I ordered this item a week ago, and since then have received a massive increase in junk mail: sweepstakes/catalogs/CHAIN LETTERS!!!
N  20th of Jul, 2009 by
I recieved the exact same letter a few weeks ago and I also was very excited about this only to find out it was a fake. I actually got a hold of Karen Stevens and she told me to go to the bank and cash the cashier check and wire the 2950.00 to them so she can send me my afidavid. The bank searched into it for about two hours, also calling the woodforest national bank who told my bank that the check was a fake. I called Karen Stevens back and got a hold of her, and told her that the bank said it was a fake check and she laughed about it and hung up on me. Later I found out that then number was a cell phone number and so I sent a text message saying "I hope you have fun getting peoples hopes up and then just to find out its all a fake, you are going to get caught sooner or later and I hope they make you pay." The best advice I can give is to watch out for scamers, dont fully trust anything until you check it out first.
N  25th of Jul, 2009 by
I recieved the same letter and my husband has been out of work since November and has been in the hospital
2 times and had 2 emergency surgeries. He has filed for disability and we are behind on everything. I thought this was a gift from God. This was very helpful, this kept me from making a huge mistake . I truly hope this
Karen person get punished for playing with peoples emotion.
N  30th of Jul, 2009 by

Lucky Surf - fraudulant checks
lucky surf
1263 west lanford ave
Battle Creek
Phone: 905-324-0508

I received two checks for 25, 000.00 and for 2, 950.00 and these phone numbers to call 647-887-0867. I called the bank but over the phone they could not verify if they were real or not. I did call the numbers but no one answered, I can only guess that they would want you to pay a tax first on the money and of course you never get the money. It is ashame that people will do so much to get to you and any way how did they get to me?
A  19th of Jun, 2011 by
The site is a scam. They don't pay anything. I had enough points for an Amazon e-certificate. Applied for it and received nothing. E-mail produced no satisfactory results. I quit the site.