Long Kitchens aka Long Fence / This has been a nightmare, a long nightmare

My experience with Long Kitchens (also known as Long Fence). James from Long Kitchens came to our house. He wasn't prepared. He didn't have all counter top or cabinet samples with him. I should've shown him the door, but didn't b/c we were promised a $500 discount over the $750 promotion if we had them come out during the week before 5 pm. My husband had already taken off work to be there, so we couldn't reschedule.

He measured, told us the cost of our kitchen. We talked it over and agreed to go with them as he apologized for not being prepared and told us the kitchen would be done to our satisfaction, and we would not have to pay until such time. We were also told our kitchen would take "apx 3-5 days" to complete, which was basically the selling point.

They sent another guy out with James several days later (his supervisor) to "remeasure" and said our cabinets would be in in a few weeks. I said "wait a minute, James told me it would be FINISHED in 3-5 days!". At that point the supervisor glared at James. He said no, to "be prepared to be without a kitchen for at least two weeks". Had I not put down a $6000 dep and was past the cancellation date, I would have cancelled. We were told that the cabinets would be in in about a month.

After weeks past that time, and many phone calls from me and being told "oh the cabinet makers are so busy that they can't fulfill all orders on time", they began installation, after sending out yet 2 more employees to remeasure. After the cabinets were completed (the installers were excellent and perfectionists. They also informed me that Long Kitchens overcharges and that they, the installers, make very little comparatively).

A few days later, enter another measure guy. He brings out a high tech laser measure on a tripod connected to a laptop and so on, and spends a good deal of time measuring. After he is done he asks me to sign the form agreeing to his measurements. But his Laptop "is not working correctly", so I cannot read what I'm signing. I reminded him to be sure the backsplash comes all the way to the edge of the wall. He said it would. Well, when installed, 2 weeks later, it did not reach the end of the wall. I immediately contacted Long Kitchens. They asked if I signed the paperwork when the measurer came out (which one??). I said yes, but that since I had NO WAY of knowing if the measurements were correct (I don't own a high-tech laser measure and if I did, would not know how to work it and they had 4 different measurement times)and that I told him my wishes about the back splash. They asked did I tell the countertop installers it was done incorrectly. Yes, and they said "talk to Long Kitchen". Long asked that I email pictures to the counter top people to show that it was not finished. I did and heard nothing.

Then I get a call from Long wanting their money. I tell them the counter top co. never contacted me to fix this and they would've know this had they bothered to do a customer satisfaction call. They ask me to email them the pics instead. I do.

Then I got a letter from their collection dept b/c I had not paid the rest of my bill. I called them and they said not to worry that it would be fixed to my satisfaction. Several weeks later I get a call from them. First words out of their mouths were basically "wheres our money?". I then went through the long story with this guy (who already really knew the story). I told him they were not getting a dime until they finished the job. I also informed them that I was not given a discount (I had previously discussed this with them before) as was advertised, and I still have that flyer, for the 750 off and the additional 500 off for the time the appointment was scheduled. He then told me "oh, thats only if we didn't give you any discounts on your order at the estimate with James." First I'd heard of this. And he wouldn't discuss the 500, saying that they were loosing money on our kitchen order, that we were basically getting it "at cost", that it was "under estimated", and they just couldn't give me the advertised discounts. And was I sure that I wanted to have the counter extended, as that wasn't really "how its done" and that I should peel off my new wallpaper and go to Macy's to the "eye-shadow makeup dept" and ask to see earth tone colors to use as paint ideas since wallpaper really isn't "in". Huh? I ignored his sexist comment and told him that i liked my new wallpaper just fine and wanted the counter top done the way it was told to me that it would be. I tell him they will not get any money until that time.

At this date, I'm still waiting for it to be fixed. This has been a nightmare. A Long nightmare.

Va

Comments

• Jm
      3rd of Mar, 2008

I've had a very similar experience with the Long Fence Deck staff. I received a demand letter from a collection agent over the weekend. I plan to hire an attorney and sue Long Fence for breach of contract. They fastened a deck to my house even though we agreed in the contract for a free standing deck and I informed them the builder explicitedly stated that a deck shouldn't be fastened to the deck.

The sales person who sold us the deck told us that Long Fence has their on trained staff which was a crock. They hire contractors and our contract staff couldn't understand me when I told them not to fasten the deck to the house. They did a terrible job and no one has come back to fix the work.

I think I'll start generating some letters to the local better business bureau and some other places that will get some negative publicity for Long Fence regarding their business practices.

• Re
      2nd of Jun, 2008

Forgive me for saying this because I do sympathize with your situation... Long Fence (and all their ventures) hurt ALL of us in the remodeling business. However, did you not check their BBB record? 101 complaints in 3 years? I don't care how many jobs you do, that's a ridiculous number of complaints. I don't know how Long Fence stays in business. I have NEVER heard one good thing about them yet people sign contracts with them all day, every day. I don't get it.

• Ri
      29th of Apr, 2009

Unfortunately, Long Fence's only strength is their marketing. Most every customer is disappointed when they find out that Long Fence only hires the cheapest subcontractor, without even a background check, to complete their jobs for them. Profit is much more important to Long Fence than a satisfied customer. Their motto is that most people only buy a fence, deck or sunroom once in their lives. Therefore, they are not interested in developing loyal customers with things like quality work and fair prices.

• Lo
      23rd of May, 2009

I work for Long Kitchens and wanted to share some real customer feedback we've received recently:

Geraldine W. from Baltimore, MD said:

"I was really very satisfied from beginning to the end with the installation of my new kitchen. Thanks so much! All of your representatives exhibited such professionalism and consideration and respect towards me. Thanks again!"

Nancy E. from Reston, VA said:

"My experience with Long Kitchens was incredible. From the design consultant to the installers the selection, installation, and cleanup was superb. All work was done absolutely on schedule with no surprises anywhere in the process. The quality of the oak cabinets, countertop, sink and faucet was better than I expected for the price. And I can’t say enough about the “face” of Long Kitchens….your people. They were pleasant, friendly, absolutely professional, and willing to do little extras such as raising my counters an inch to conform with existing appliances. Just a pleasure to do business with your company"

Annabelle F. from Annapolis, MD said:

"Very pleased with all of the workmen. Especially pleased with Jerry Stephenson, beautiful work. And Bob the plumber does excellent work."

• Co
      1st of Jun, 2009

It is disturbing to hear such negative comments; the company is a huge contractor completing, from what I know of them, 25, 000 projects per year.

If a company does 100, 000 projects over 4 years and has 101 complaints...and another company completes 1, 000 projects with 12 complaints, would any math majors like to point out which company has a better record.

Obviously the people above have legit complaints but for people to generalize about a company that has a strong brand name with a longstanding reputation is just sour grapes - especially from a compeitior.

As far a subcontractors, every major contractor in this area uses subs. Go buy a pool...the whole job is subcontractors.

The strength is their brand.

• Lo
      5th of Jun, 2009

I work for Long Fence and Home and wanted to share some real customer feedback we've received recently:

• Dorothy S. from Great Falls, Virginia said:
    “Salesman was very explicit and thorough in his demonstration of the windows. Very persuasive indeed. Good personality. Friendly and patient… So far no problem with the installed windows. Will do business with you again.”

• Barbara G. from Laurel, Maryland said:
    “This serves as a compliment to your staff and the quality of work recently done to my kitchen cabinets and counter tops. Let me first say that I was very impressed with the professionalism, patience, and knowledge of the products that were offered to me. The sales representative was very detailed and specific during his presentation, I never felt like he was after a sale. The presentation made me want to remodel at this time…The installers did an excellent job cleaning up after the job was done. However, what most impressed me was the job was done less than the estimated time. I am extremely pleased with the work done to my kitchen. I will definitely recommend Long Fence and Home to family, friends, and co-workers. I also plan to get windows and doors from Long fence and home at a later date. ”

• Ignatius P. from Clinton, Maryland said:
    “The installers arrived before time (which was a plus). They were professional and courteous and got the job done when they said they would do it. They explained how the product worked and advised I could contact the office at any time if something went wrong or were to happen. I must say that I was a bit leery seeing we had other contractors come in to do what was supposed to be a professional job but Long Fence and home out them all to shame. We love our new windows and have already recommended the product to family and friends. Thanks for setting such a high bar in customer service and satisfaction.”

• Nancy E. from Reston Virginia said:
    “My experience with Long Kitchens was incredible. From the design consultant to the installers the selection, installation, and cleanup was superb. All work was done absolutely on schedule with no surprises anywhere in the process. The quality of the oak cabinets, countertop, sink and faucet was better than I expected for the price. And I can’t say enough about the “face” of Long Kitchens….your people. They were pleasant, friendly, absolutely professional, and willing to do little extras such as raising my counters an inch to conform with existing appliances. Just a pleasure to do business with your company”

• Catherine B. from Arlington, Virginia, said:
    “I was very impressed and pleased with the entire process. On the same day I called to check on the status of my broken window. The salesperson came by on the evening (worked with my schedule). He is smart, articulate, pleasant, knowledgeable and not pushy. I loved the doors he showed me. He did not pressure me...Did a fabulous job installing my door. I'm happy. Thanks.”

• Jaheen T. from Crofton, Maryland said:
    “Great experience from start to finish. From our first meeting to the clean-up of the installation team it was a pleasurable experience. Our windows have helped to make our home a cocoon protected from the outside world.”

• Be
      29th of Nov, 2009

Funny--after Long Fence & Home called me and DEMANDED that I remove my complaint and I refused, these so called positive comments from so called customers with only an initial for their last names were posted under my complaint. I smell a rat.

• Re
      2nd of Jul, 2010

Elizabeth B. from Huntingtown, Maryland says:

Signed loan paperwork which explicitly said the contract was void if loan was not approved. Loan was not approved. Brought more paperwork with higher interest rate. Did not sign. Brought more paperwork with higher interest rate but with 90 day grace period. Did not sign.

Long Fence and Home salesman promised the return of our deposit since the original loan did not go through.

Long Fence and Home representative says no refund unless cancellation paperwork is signed.

Hmmm... the cancellation paperwork for a loan that wasn't approved? Or the cancellation paperwork for the loan we never agreed to?

• Ge
      28th of Jul, 2012

from: George E-
    Have read the above complaints about Long Kitchens, and though some points may be valid about the company, I wanted to make a point to let people know about the outstanding work that was done by one of their employees, Bob the plumber was polite, efficient and went the extra mile to make certain that the job was done correctly. I hope the company appreciates the extra effort he puts in to his work to satisfy the customers.