londonbaseapartment.com / short term rent in London - scam

55 CATHERINE PLACE, SW1E 6DY Tel: 07853456566England, Greater London, United Kingdom Review updated:
Phone: 07853456566

This website: http://www.londonbaseapartment.com/index.html provides imaginary apartments in London, along with an imaginary driver to get you from airport. They ask for an advance payment of deposit (like you could brake anything when you're not there yet) through Western Union. Obviously once the money get to them no one answers any mails or telephones.

The firm they claim to represent on the website, Apartment Rentals UK Limited is dissolved since 2007, I looked it up. The other one, Mania Estates Ltd doesn't even exist. The only real person around is probably Kim Howells, "the owner", because I assume that to get the money from Western Union you need an ID. I hope they won't find any other "customers"..
Take care.
An

Comments

An
  30th of Sep, 2008
Unfortunately, this report was a bit late ... I already got scammed. For 320 pounds.
Is there any chance I can take any legal action against this person? Any suggestions as to what I can do?
St
  7th of Feb, 2009
I just got scammed too on an apartment at 10 Nevern Square, Earls Court, London. Seems they are now http://www.londonapartmentsltd.com Guys name is James William - phone 07597868458 - acting as part of Global Holiday Lettings Inc. Again they ask you to make a payment through Western Union for 30% rent in advance plus 200 pound security deposit. When you arrive there is no apartment and no more emails or phone calls. Will be calling the police tomorrow. I got their bank details at Barclay Bank as i didn;t want to do the Western Union, so maybe i can do something there.
Cj
  23rd of Mar, 2009
I got done for 312 pounds...###.

Looks like they've now set up: http://www.londonbaseapaetments.com/index.html
Ju
  27th of Mar, 2009
I also got scammed for 500 pounds, please don''t be stupid and check out google before it'ds too late.
Al
  29th of Mar, 2009
I was one of the lucky ones, I found these guys on Craigslist, I have now reported this to Craigslist abuse and flagged them as prohibited, They wanted 512 pounds which I refused to send until I viewed the property strangely enough after I flagged to them I wouldnt wire money without seeing the property they stopped emailing me. I tried calling their phone number on the internet which didnt work and I tried calling the number they gave me below but that was just a voice mail

Anyway I was using www.londonbaseapaetments.com which strangely does not exist, anyway here is where they told me to wire the details,
Name: James Dawson
Address: 17 Hampton Court Road, East Molesey, Surrey, London, KT8 9BX, United Kingdom.
Phone:+442071934106
Please send us the MTCN and the name you use to send the deposit so that we can confirm your deposit and send you an invoice immediately..Thanks and we love having you in our apartment.

Hopefully those pursing this through the police will find this info useful,

Goodluck spread the word, these scam artists spoil the internet for the honest users!!

Two pieces of advise - if something looks too good to be true, it probably is and if the company you are dealing with is not willing to meet, speak or let you view the apartment then it probably doesnt exist.