Localnet Internet Service Provider / This company needs to be put out of business!

I don't know the address of the company, but the name is Localnet. I started doing business with them earlier this year and at first thought that they were great.

Then all of a sudden I started getting dropped connections pretty frequently I dealt with it until after a thunderstorm on June 17, 2007. I had one computer online when the lightening struck, which burned out the modem. Ok, that is understood. I was outside when the storm hit and wasn't able to get in fast enough to get the computer offline.

However, I have three computers in my house: an old one that was not being used at all, but is still sitting where it was unplugged, a brand new one that was the recipient of the strike and a laptop.

I plugged the laptop into the phone line that I had the fried computer plugged into and was able to connect to the Internet. The connection was immediately dropped. I tried again every few seconds with the same result. I called Localnet's technical support and they told me that they were not experiencing any problems and it was my phone line, so I called my local phone company. They sent a repairman out to check the lines and he found a minor problem so he fixed it.

I tried to connect to Localnet again and was immediately bumped off as so on as the connection was made. I called them again to find out what was up. Again, they blamed the phone company, so again, I called the phone company.

The repairman called me and we talked about what the issues were that I was having (he was very pleasant). He came out and completely switched my lines. Tried again to connect to Localnet, was able to browse for ten minutes and was then bumped off. I called tech support again, again they blamed the phone company.

In summary, this went on for two weeks, with the repairman from the telephone company coming out THREE times and putting in new lines, switching the line at the pole and doing whatever else he could to help me. STILL had problems with connecting. The repairman from the telephone company connected
on my lines to HIS ISP with NO problems.

When I called Localnet and explained this, they told me it was my COMPUTER. Mind you, all THREE computers were having this problem and they blamed the computer. After a week of trying to get them to fix the problem (and one tech support guy actually admitting that they WERE having problems with a certain link in their system (bet he no longer works with them since he admitted fault with them) I told them I wanted to cancel the account since I couldn't use it. They said ok.

I left it at that only to find that they had already taken money for the month out of my bank account. I asked for a refund and they said that since my billing cycle was halfway through (billing cycle was the 10th of each month, I called to cancel it with their knowledge that I had not been able to connect for a week, somewhere around the 24th.) I didn't take note of the date because I really didn't think that I would have to. They took another month payment out of my account on the 29th of June.

I called them about the money they took out of my account and they said it was for service and that in order to cancel the account, I would have to send them a letter in writing. I was unable to do this until the 3rd of July at which time I FAXED the request for cancellation and also told them that they were no longer authorized to take money out of my account. On the 5th, they sent out an acknowledgment of cancellation, however on the 12th of July, they took $24.95 out of my bank account, causing an overdraft. When I called them to inform them that I wanted that money, plus the overdraft amount, refunded back to me, they told me tough. It was the middle of the billing cycle they said and they billed for services.

I had been UNABLE to use the service since the 17th of June. Since the 24th of June I had signed up with a different (and local to me) service provider and had NO problems keeping connected even using the SAME computers that Localnet was blaming for my problems with them.

This company needs to be put out of business and a class action suit needs to be filed against them.

Tm

Comments

• Bl
      4th of Jan, 2009

I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING WITH LOCALNET INTERNET SERVICE I CANCEL THERE SERVICE AND THEY CONTINUE TO TAKE OUT MY ACCOUNT CAUSING MY ACCOUNT TO ALSO GO IN OVERDRAFT AND NOT SMALL OVERDRAFT NEITHER I AGREE THEY DO NEED TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS

• Mi
      23rd of Feb, 2009

same story, i told them to contact my attorney. my attorney advised me for future issues, told me to cancel using MY email service, print out and have notorized same day. save it and cover your ### so to speak. their service was acceptable but after the hell they've put me thru trying to cancel for going on six months while going in and out of the hospital! i finally spoke with two reps today with no resolution, not even a hint of compassion, little did they care that i have cancer and won't be around this time next year but on the bright side they'll never see another penny from me, and with any luck someone will do a search prior to signing up with them and find this entry. in conclusion all i can say is stay away from LOCALNET as the nicest thing to say about them is that LOCALNET SUCKS.

7th of Oct, 2009

I agree this company is in my opinion very deceptive. I cancled my service in July. A phone call was not enough for them to honer my request. They want a follow up letter. In my mind adding this unnessery step is a sly way to get extra money out of you. They got 3 extra payments out of me. So far it has taken 2 letters and 3 phone calls. I will now have to call my credit card co. to make sure they don't allow another charge. I agree LOCALNET SUCKS

3rd of May, 2012

Same story here as well. I called LocalNet to cancel my service due to poor performance. They told me I had to notify them in writing. Each time I sent notification by mail they "did not receive it". It took me four letters, two faxes, and six phone calls before my service was finally cancelled...all the while, charging me for a service I did not use. Any calls attempting to get this money refunded were met with a hang-up. Legitimate businesses do not act this way.