Local Police Department / Police Report

My husband committed suicide. When i went to the Police Depart. to ask for a copy of the police report (not the incident report), they refused to give me one. I asked why, i was told cuz they don't do that. I asked if i could just read it there in front of them, they said no. When i did a written request, that mailed response to me was that my request was refused with no reason why.
What happened to the "FOIA" (freedom of information act)? Why can't i get a copy and why won't they tell me the reason why they won't give me one. Aren't they suppose to tell me why my request is being refused?
How, where and what can i do to get a copy of the Police Report of my husbands suicide? Me being the wife and a victim, i should be entitled to a copy of the report.

Comments

• Da
      7th of Jan, 2009

I have the same problem except for the suicide part. My boyfriend was falsely accused of home invasion a week ago, that supposedly happened back in early july, 2008 before we moved to this area. Police details were changed 4 times, before he was acually arrested. We both live on VERY low income, he has none. But the police said we cannot get a copy of the police report. He was arrested AFTER the accuser had him stay a couple days in his home. The cops say the proof is *his prints all over the house*. Which they would be, by him sleeping there.
    I've never had to go through FOA, to get police reports before. I thought it was our right to have a copy when we request it. The charges were brought up after he stayed in the house, But we cannot find out for sure without the report. and the so called attorney they gave him, won't listen and take the proof we have to verify his innosence. whats wrong with this system??

I hope you have better luck with your situation, tammy.

• Fa
      13th of Jan, 2009

Corruption is killing India.
    Join the drive to weed out the mostly corrupt lot of administration in India which is more than 98%.