Loan Modificationunhappy customer of Colombana's firm - Mortgage relief law center and its sub-agency

T Review updated:

Unsatisfaction with Colombana's firm - Mortgage relief law center (MRL) and its sub-agency

Summary: I wrote a check of a full up-front fee to MRL, signed all paper with the firm's name on it 3 months plus ago. Now the written promise of 90 days has passed, but what the result is unclear, and refund is not honored, and all responsible people are not reachable. I tried to get the MRL revised the contract to make sure my wait time is not indefinite, but again their people of authority are not reachable. The whole 3 months plus, there was no lawyer talking to me. I recently learn that this is unethical.

MRL recently told me that they don't know that I've been lied to because the people I dealt with are only their sub-agency/partner. I do not find this argument solid, the whole process, I did not see anything that says this at the time of signing contract. I did not hear of it either. All paperwork point to a binding contract between me and MRL (Mr Colombana's law office), and my check was made out to the MRL too

=== detail

Initially I feel this is only the problem with the sub-agency as they mispresented themself as employees of the lawyer, but further into it, I feel that Colombana's firm should be responsible for this:

** All the paper that I signed had Colombana name as the company that I signed up with.
** My check made out to Colombana's firm - the Relief Mortgage Center (paid full amount, up front). Not any place that said I was working with a sub agency. Another thing is that I haven't met or spoken to the lawyer once in the whole 3 months plus. I now learn that this is not ethical, should never have happened.

- Another disturbing pattern is this. As soon as I mentioned the promise written in the contract, I start to lose contact with the person I am contacting. It started out with the head of the sub agency, then the office manager at the Colombana's firm. The pattern is similar, the person said he would get back to me, and that point onward - the following 1 day, 2 days, and further, I can't longer get to this person. I either got answer machine or a clerk promise to relay my message. Last time when I could speak to comlombana's office manager, I mentioned that I maybe OK if they let me temporarily take back a part of the fee, and then later on I can pay them back when they are done. That way I can ensure that they motivated to work on my case. It has been days since. I am now trying to reach Mr Colomban himself. I placed 2 calls, and lelf messages for Mr Colomban. Waiting for him the whole afternoon now. why can't they get back to me? Are they too busy after taking the complete fee?

- I am unhappy with the way this was setup, the run around, and no clear person of responsibility. It took away too much of my time in calling different people, and waiting for responses, convincing people... I feel that this is a rip off deal because I paid good money and I still have to keep on calling, contacting, just full of uncertainty. If I knew this, I would just do the loan mod myself, why bother hire a professional team.

The whole first 3 months I got 1 single phone call initiated by an MRL clerk, for my updated financial statement which I sent them the next day. Other than that all phone conversations were initiated by me. I am not happy about this either.

I do not understand is why does the Colombana firm does not know about this misrepresentation? Why didn't they have any form to ask me for acknowledgement that I know I work with their sub-agency/ middle man?

• 2
      Aug 28, 2009

The author of this complaint and others in the same boat are encouraged to fax your experience with Mortgage Relief Law Center in Irvine, California or affiliated company Sunwest Modifications in Montclair, California also doing business as Brian J. Colombana Law Office to:

California State Bar FAX: 213.765.1383 and
    California Department of Real Estate FAX: 213.576.6917

Please sign and date your correspondence.

Nov 02, 2009

2009 Guest T hanks for the info. I am preparing all the documents and geting ready to send the file to the CA State Bar. will do that.. let's do a class action lawsuit against this firm . MRLC is a SCAMMER!!!

Nov 03, 2009

MRLC is NOT a Scammer... I was just joking! Brian J Colombana really does GREAT work!!! He takes good care of all his clients and his law clerks. If you are considering a loan modification...go with this firm!! Disregard any of the comments I posted before this one ... I LOVE THE MORTGAGE RELIEF LAW CENTER!!! THEY ARE THE BEST!!!

Nov 09, 2009

On the same boat with you, TN. In process now to filing Complaints with State Bar and FTC. Perhaps if anyone else is suing this firm, attorney and their agents, we can all band together. Here's to hoping that Colombana is one of the 700+ attorneys under investigation for their "loan modification" practices.

Nov 21, 2009

***ALERT: CA STATE BAR HAS SHUT DOWN BRIAN COLOMBANA'S LAW FIRM!!!

Here's an excerpt of the email his associates received today - one of them forwarded to us:

**************************************************************************************

Dear Mortgage Relief Law Center/Housing Law Center Staff and Affiliates,

It is with great regret that I inform you that Mortgage Relief Law Center and Housing Law Center have been officially shut down. I have just learned that the investigations started by the California State Bar, the Federal Trade Commission, and several Attorney Generals' offices have led to cease and desist orders directed at our company. We have also just learned that all funds in MRLC/HLC accounts have been siezed. As such, we will not be able to pay current employees and must immediately lay everyone off. All personal items belonging to MRLC/HLC employees must be removed from our offices no later than tomorrow at 5:00 pm. We have been informed that the offices must be completely vacated before 5:00 pm on Friday. The spaces intend to be re-leased as-is so all furniture must remain.

All files currently in process must be left on location and will be removed by the proper authorities. It is unclear at this time where these files will go or how they will be handled but we have made arrangements with a non-profit organization to contact the homeowner's and help them complete the process. I sincerely apologize that we could not give anyone earlier notice but this came as a surprise to us all. I wish you all the best of luck in future endeavors and hope to cross paths again.

************************************************

• R
      Nov 21, 2009

A small victory to all victims of this Law Firm- Brian Colombana - Finally... Brian Colombana and its agents are CROOK!!!

More victories to all victims...

I can't wait for biggest event - DISBAR!!! that would be priceless...

Dec 04, 2009

A small victory, indeed! At least no new victim for this predator now that he's been shut down!

• S
      Dec 11, 2009

The State Bar of California has taken no action against Brian J Colombana according to their website. http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_home.jsp

• S
      Feb 24, 2010

My husbnad and I have experienced the same issues and problems with MRLC. They cost us our home (we were not even in foreclosure when we hired them) and a lot of stress. It has been a year for us! They refuse to give us our money back. But I do not want to stop at just our fee, they COST us our home and all the money we had invested in it. And not to mentioon the heart ache they caused my family. I have filed complaints with online blogs. I have filed with BBB. I am filing complaints with the Dept. of Conmsumer Affairs, the State Bar, and the Attorney General. I am not certain about the firm being shut down? I know Brian still communicates as though his firm is in business. I am preparing to sue. I think we should "all band together". There is power in numbers.

May 03, 2010

Deputy Trial Counsel: Timothy G. Byer
    Assigned Judge: Richard Honn

Date Description Notes

04/29/2010 Document SUBMISSION ORDER

04/26/2010 Document DECLARATION OF SERVICE BY CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

04/09/2010 Document DECLARATION OF SERVICE BY CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

04/09/2010 Document NTC OF ASSIGNMENT & NTC OF HEARING PURSU ANT TO AN APPLICATION FOR INVOLUNTARY

04/08/2010 Document APPLICATION FOR INVOLUNTARY INACTIVE ENR OLLMENT; MEMORANDUM OF P&A'S

--------------

Brian, care to enlighten us about this?

Jun 18, 2010

FYI - Hope you all filed your Complaint against Colombana. Fellow victims, you might want to ask legal advise re Fee Arbitration.

Here's the latest on Colombana's case with the California State Bar Court. Effective 6/20/2010, he'll be INACTIVE!!

Case Name: Colombana, Brian John Case Number: 10-TE-1310
    Member #: 238272 Venue: LA
    Status: Open Case Filed: 04/08/2010
    Counsel: Pro Per Deputy Trial Counsel: Timothy G. Byer
    Assigned Judge: Richard Honn

Date Description Notes

06/17/2010 Hearing Decision TRANSFER INACTIVE 6007(C) EFFECTIVE DATE: 06/20/2010

06/07/2010 Trial HELD, SUBMITTED

05/20/2010 Hearing Decision VACATE SUBMISSION

05/20/2010 Document ORDER VACATING SUBMISSION DATE AND NOTIC E OF HEARING

05/20/2010 Ruling On Motion Filed 05/10/2010: Granted VACATE ENTRY OF DEFAULT; CONSIDERED BY THE CT. AS MOTION TO VACATE SUBMISSION

05/17/2010 Motion Response VACATE ENTRY OF DEFAULT; CONSIDERED BY THE CT. AS MOTION TO VACATE SUBMISSION

05/13/2010 Trial NOT HELD, SUBMITTED

05/10/2010 Motion: Motion/Request by Respondent VACATE ENTRY OF DEFAULT; CONSIDERED BY THE CT. AS MOTION TO VACATE SUBMISSION

05/10/2010 Document RESPONSE TO APPLICATION FOR INVOLUNTARY INACTIVE ENROLLMENT; MEMO. OF POINTS ETC

04/29/2010 Document SUBMISSION ORDER

• T
      Aug 03, 2010

Anybody looking for Brian I know where he is right NOW as of 8/1/2010.

New Business name:

PREP-U-SIGN or PREPUSIGN
    22600 - C Lambert St.
    Suite 908
    Lake Forest CA, [protected]

I will try to get the new phone number...

Your Friend

The [censor] Hunter

• C
      Feb 09, 2011

Thank you to everyone exposing these guys. Please contact me if you need help. http://about.me/edit/mikeshieldsIII