Livingwell Lady / Unauthorized Maintenance Fee

1 3505 W 20th AveHialeah, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 305-378-9021

This gym is operating illegally. They are simply not following the rules that they have clearly stated in their contract with the members. They charged all the members a so called $25.00 "maintenance fee" without prior authorization. Our contract clearly states that all the fees that appear on the contract are the only ones that we will be charged and that any other changes to the contract must be agreed on by both parties and signed by both parties. Since these scam artists have some of our credit/debit card numbers to automatically debit our fees every month, they illegally used them to charge us for this fee that we did not authorize. They claim to have sent out a letter notifying us, which I never received. And even assuming that they did send this letter to other members, this is still a violation of our contract because charging our credit/debit cards for anything other than our monthly dues is not what the contract states as a change that I agreed to and signed. I want everyone to know that this gym is what the better bussiness bureau classifies as a grade "F" company. If you are looking to sign up with this gym, do NOT do it. They are rude, have no customer service skills and they simply do not care about their members on top of the fact that they are SCAM ARTISTS. I have already filed a complaint with the better business bureau, along with 21 other people who have filed a complaint against them in the last 3 years.
Check it out for yourself:
I have tried contacting customer service, managers, and the company that they use to charge us and no one will help and in fact, they stated that they simply WILL NOT give me a refund. If you are a current member and you're as upset as I am about this issue, let me give you some advice, cancel your debit/credit card and have the company/bank reissue you a new number. Start paying your dues by check and this will stop the unauthorized fees to our cards. They have justified this fee, by saing that, "it's a once a year thing" but who's to stop them from doing it 5 times a year?
I hope that this complaint at least helps other people in making a decision in choosing a fitness center. Livingwell Lady LLC is a terrible company!! Do not sign up with them.

Comments

El
  5th of Feb, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I totally agree, they did the same thing to me and many other member friends, this $25.00 charge was posted to my bank account without previous notice or authorization from my part. This unexpected charge caused my bank account to be overdrawn and there was another charge for $32.00 more. Yes, I received a letter but the letter was posmarked more than 1 week later after the facts. I went to my bank and they advised me to cancel the automatic payment, which I did. They keep sending me late notices and charging me $10.00 late fee because of this $25.00 unauthorized charge, they even told me that my account was past due. They returned the $25.00 to me but not the $32.00 bank charges which they said that was going to be refunded, I am still waiting for it.

Company Information:

Living Well Lady-Kendall
8210 Mills Drive, Miami, Fl 33183

Cu
  7th of Apr, 2008

These clients were handled on a one on one basis. Some have been charged justified fees as per their contract. There were a few clients who were done in error and were fixed manually. Notice on any amendment, change or update was sent 30 days before billing cycle. We apologized for any overlap in the post office during this holiday season but it was out of our control. We have serviced and responded to all of our clients as needed on a one on one basis. as of todate both of these clients had been resolved and were credited as and if due.

Cu
  7th of Apr, 2008

As far as the BBB, we are currently weeding out prior ownership complaints that were never addressed and appear for our corporation. Our complaints todate have been handled and resolved amicably and in the best interest of the client. We are running the location legally and ethically with integrity. According to our check in system Ms. Pupo has not been in since 10-2007. Both of these clients again were serviced and responded to immediately on their accounts. We wish them the best and hope to see them soon at our centers.

Ye
  16th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Same thing happened with me last year and now they've charged me again, before completeing ONE yrs as they clearly stated this would be a once a year charge. Management and customer service AT the gym is HORRIBLE and RUDE to their clients. They say this fee is to FIX the gym and make it better, the gym located on 125th and Biscayne looks horrible, hasn't been updated in forever and this is the gym that I go to, so why should I have to pay a fee for fixing a gym that hasn't been touched in years. Their managers were "defensive" to say it in NICE terms. I can't cancel my contract because they want me to pay the difference out which is over $900 and I refuse to give them that money.

Cr
  30th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I personaly love Living Well Lady.They have great equipment, great classes and have great employees who greet you everyday and are always caring and have great customer service...I have been going to living well for about two years and that was the best decision i ever made. It changed my life.I lost about 25 pounds with a personal trainer that was great and really knew how to encourage me.

Ev
  13th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I totally agree with the negative feedback. The gym took out the monthly due ($30.00) from my account when my membership had expired. How professional is this?
I called the gym and they told me I need to fill out a form to send to their corporate office confirming my cancellation. Why should I be confirming anything? When it clearly states in my contract that my membership expired on July 19th, 2009.

I sent out the notice on time and they still took out funds. I just called the gym today and they confirmed my membership has been terminated. But they never even sent me a letter indicating they had received my notice back in July. I had to contact them. I asked the woman I spoke to today if they could refund my money and she advised to contact their financial office. What kind of customer service is this??? I will never go back to them and I will share this information with anyone that wants to sign up with them.

What a total dissapointment. In addition to all that has happened. I can also relate to the $25 dollar Maintenance fee they took out of my accont without prior notice. I tried to get my money back ... no such luck. I'm in shock as to how far this company has gone. And even more shock as to why they continue to stay in business.

Ex
  27th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

The North Miami club was just relocated to a new location! OMG!! the club is AWESOME...I recently had a problem at the club and put it in writing and I got a call from the owner who actually helped me!!! I think if you follow the rules they will help sometimes we just get upset when we don't get our way, they still have a business to run. I too got billed but then when I found out ballys charges $10/month maintenance, that $120 a year!! Thats nuts... Women only..it's a niche...good classes and they've been updating the clubs..my advice, go and make your own opinion, I bet you'll agree!!

Ga
  28th of Oct, 2009

I am currently going throught a headache with Livingwell Lady I can't believe how rude Irene (in the Hialeah branch) has been. On October 2009 my 3 year contract should have ended. I went to the gym to sign the cancellation form and was told I had to mail it, fine I did. I call 3 days later to see if it was received and they have no information until 30 days pass and yes they say I will be charged for next month also even though my contract should have been terminated. I try and talk to Irene and ask her for the general manager's name in that location (since she tells me she can't help me in not so nice terms) and tells me to call back in 15 minutes for the person's name and hangs up on me. Beware of this gym I already had problems with their $25.00 yearly maintenance fee which is not on my contract but I still had to pay.

Ma
  29th of Jun, 2010

Totally in agreement with all the negative comments made towards this organization. No one answers they are dismissive toward cancellations and keep charging your credit acard even if you have cancelled in writing with faxed confirmation.

Su
  2nd of Sep, 2010

Wow, it sounds like the Hialeah one is pretty ghetto. (It would be Hialeah.) Just wanted to point out that not all LWLs are bad. Mine is the Kendall one, and it's pretty good. It's never packed when I go in the middle of the day, and only one or two machines are out of order. $20/month, no crazy hidden fees, and nice employees. I used to go a long time ago and just started going again. So far so good. But my heart goes out to all you ladies in Hialeah. If you ever move south, you know where to go.

Me
  1st of Apr, 2011

Livingwell lady is a complete disgrace... More than that, a dump. At least the one in hialeah is. Half the machines are broken, the steam showers are broken, there is no hot water in the showers, no air conditioning, the employees are really rude, you try to ask about something and the ignore you completely or if they even answee its with a bad aditude. And the water fountains dont even have water. And dont even try to complain... You'll just waste your time, they dont care! So please save your breathe and dont even think about going there. Im never again renewing my membership. I only go because i need to excersise to stay in shape but seriously... Wow.

Pr
  2nd of Nov, 2011

This gym is a piece if crap. Literally.. They charged me 25 dollars for enhancements. I go to the Hialeah one and the sauna does not even work. It has not been working for more than a year and they charge you 25 dollars. The air conditioning in the gym does not even work. they have fans place in the locker room. This gym is a mess. The water fountain comes out hot. The weights are all broken and mostly all of the step machines do not work.

This gym is crap.

P.S. they also rip you off! DO NOT go there i repeat DO NOT go there.