LiveCareer / MyPerfectResume / unauthorised charges to my credit card

1 San franciso, United States Review updated:

Good day

On August 20, I paid an amount of R13.11 for a 15 day subscription. On the same day another amount of R13.11 was deducted from my credit card. On September 10, an amount of R370 was deducted and I sent an email on the same day enquiring what it was for. I was informed by someone in Customer care that even though I had signed up for 14 days, if I do not cancel subscription it automatically goes into monthly billing. I have never in my life heard of such nonsense. My contract, which is legally binding is for the 14 days.
I will quote a portion of the response "After 14 days the account rolled into a monthly subscription that cost $24.95 USD.

Please be reminded that all of our subscriptions are auto-renewing. We have a continuous billing feature which charges your account after the 14-day period and every month afterward unless you choose to cancel your subscription beforehand. Since there was no cancellation request sent before the end of the initial period, your account rolled into a monthly subscription." This is highly illegal and an absolute rip off. I have sent another email requesting that the last deduction be refunded, but am still awaiting feedback.

The watered down response from the customer care consultant skirted around the issue and did not address my concern. I can imagine the amount of money this company is making from unsuspecting people. Their website does not indicate how the payment schedule work, of course as they would be exposed and no-one will sign up. No transparency and false advertising. I will attach both emails and the invoice which only only shows the order amount of R1, 95 (which equates to R13.11) where the other R13.11 and R370 comes from is beyond me.

I would like this company to refund my money immediately.

Leone Arendse

My account number is [protected]. Herewith email correspondence: Hi Leone Arendse,
Thank you for contacting MyPerfectResume Customer Care.

We apologize for the misunderstanding, we are more than happy to explain.

What happens often is that our customers do not read the complete information and only focus on the big main number which is the $1.95.

It is a pleasure to assist you!

If you have any questions or concerns, simply reply to this email or give us a call at [protected].

Monday - Friday 8 AM to 8 PM CST
Saturday 8 AM to 5 PM CST
Sunday 10 AM to 6PM CST

MyPerfectResume Customer Care

On Sat, 10 Sep at 8:40 AM, Leone Arendse wrote:
Thanks for your swift response,

Could you please indicate where on your website you indicate that your subscriptions are auto-renewing if I signed up for 14 day subscription? This does not make sense if I only signed up for 14 days and now I am out of pocket over R340.

Regards

Leone

From: MyPerfectResume Customer Service [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 10 September 2016 03:36 PM
To: Leone Arendse
Subject: Re: Charges [protected]

Hi Leone Arendse,
Thank you for contacting MyPerfectResume Customer Care.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Our records show that you purchased our 14-day subscription on August 20th, 2016.

The subscription that you have chosen was only good for 14 days. This allowed you to download, email and print the resume that you have created. After 14 days the account rolled into a monthly subscription that cost $24.95 USD.

Our records show that you have already cancelled your subscription. Rest assured that you will not be billed again. Your subscription is set to expire on October 1st, 2016. Your cancellation number is: [protected]. Please take note of this number for future reference.

It is a pleasure to assist you!

Monday - Friday 8 AM to 8 PM CST
Saturday 8 AM to 5 PM CST
Sunday 10 AM to 6PM CST

MyPerfectResume Customer Care

On Sat, 10 Sep at 7:33 AM, Leone Arendse wrote:
Good day
I have noticed the following amounts coming off my bank account, herewith the dates:

20 August 2016 R13.11

20 August 2016 R13.10

09 September 2016 R346 (approx.)

Can you please provide a breakdown of what the 3 amounts are for?

Invoice:
HelloLeone,

Hooray! You’re on the right path to resume perfection and now have full access to MyPerfectResume.

This order will appear as AX*MYPERFRESUME on your billing statement.

For your records, your order information is below:

Order No: 8801622
Last 4 digits of CC: 9080
Order Amount: $1.95

Purchase Details
Description Amount
MyPerfectResume 14 day Full Access
You now have full access to MyPerfectResume, the easiest way to build a perfect resume. Your full access includes MyPerfectResume and all its features for $1.00, plus MyPerfectCoverLetter for $0.95 billed separately. Your subscription begins immediately and renews on September 3, 2016 to our recurring service at $24.95 billed every four weeks. $1.95
Total:
$1.95

As a reminder, your full access will automatically renew beginning on September 3, 2016 at $24.95. You can manage your account settings here or contact our customer service department at 1-[protected] (Mon-Fri 8am to 8pm (Central), Sat 8am to 5pm (Central), Sun 10am to 6pm (Central)) or email us at [email protected]

Thanks!
The MyPerfectResumeTeam

You joined MyPerfectResume.com on August 20, 2016. MyPerfectResume values your privacy;
read our privacy policy.

North America LiveCareer, Inc. 1 Hallidie Plaza, San Francisco, CA 94102
Powered by LiveCareer.com
You have authorized MyPerfectResume and your financial institution to initiate the transaction detailed above. You have acknowledged that the origination of debit or credit transactions to your account must comply with the provisions of local laws. This authorization is to remain in full force and effect until MyPerfectResume has received written notification from you of its termination in such time and manner as to afford MyPerfectResume and your financial institution a reasonable opportunity to act on it.

As an international company, MyPerfectResume processes payments from consumers all over the globe through LiveCareer UK, Ltd with its offices in London, England. Some banks charge an international transaction fee, even when the charge is in US dollars. We have no control over these fees and cannot predict what they may be, although generally they do not exceed 3% of the transaction amount. These fees are charged by your bank and not MyPerfectResume. Please contact your bank if you have any questions.

Le
Sep 15, 2016

Comments

• Ju
      4th of Jan, 2017

I agree with this complaint! I had the same thing happen to me! If there was a statement about automatic payments, I certainly didn't see it.
    Unfortunately, this is a common thing with a lot of companies. I think it is completely unfair and should be illegal to have the print so small that you can't see it!