Lighting Universe / Terrible customer service!

1 Kirkland, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-404-2744

Echoing the sentiments of another reviewer: SHOP HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I recently ordered a set of lights from here but due to a confusing interface ended up getting the right model but the wrong finish. When I tried to rectify the mistake they wanted me to pay to ship back the product and charge me a 15% restocking fee. I finally relented but then my e-mails where ignored.

I called after not receiving a return e-mail after several tries. Turns out they have a 30 day return policy. Even though I had contacted them within a week of receiving the wrong product and made a decision to return the products (with unnecessary penalty) with more than 2 weeks left in the 30 day period they got me one more time. I was told since they had not received my e-mails (which were not bounced so how did they not receive them?) saying I wanted to return the products within 30 days I was now subject to a 50% restocking fee. I complained that I had contacted them and initiated the return within a week of receiving the product. I also stated that I had sent several e-mails within in the 30 day period stating my wish to return the lights with the wrong finish (with 10% penalty) and exchange them for the lights with the right finish. They said they never received them (How convenient for them). I told them I had proof in my sent buffer of the sent e-mails and the fact that they had not bounced. To no avail.

I finally registered a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and saw an avalanche of complaints from other customers that were not resolved. They ended up offering me the same 50% restocking fee as a resolution.

I learned of their dishonest practices to late. So I am posting in hopes of warning off some other consumers. There are many places to buy lights. My advice is to avoid this dishonest vendor. Once again shop at Lighting Universe at your own risk.

Va

Comments

30th of Apr, 2009

This store has probably the worse customer service and organization I've ever experienced!
    TERRIBLE!!! I placed an order online, never received a confirmation email, called a week later (was on hold for at least 20 minutes) to know where could my order be, was informed that the order was not placed and they did not know further. An employee named Tina B. told me she would get back to me, which she did not, so I was on hold again for 10 minutes at least talked to an agent that cancelled my order, but I would not get any cancellation email as well...just a nightmare!!!
    DO NOT BUY THERE!!!
    They should close!!!

Ps.: They did not give me the manager store's extension number when I asked for it!

• Li
      21st of Jul, 2009

LightingUniverse or (ATG) are horrible. Their staff are incompetent. They do not honor their 110% price Guarantee policy and they do not admit their errors. They only put the blame on customers when you reach support. DO NOT BUY THERE.

I don't think there are any managers in LightingUniverse or (ATG), they are bunch of cowards. they hide behind the reps and don't want to give out their names and contact information.

In their website, a ET2 Stellar E22108 lamp sells for $136 after a (supposily) 75% discount. I found the same light for $80 in LighingDirect (it's not even onsale. It's their regular price). When I asked LightingUniverse or (ATG) to honor their 110%, they refused it and gave me a lame excuse that they just couldn't match the price.

LightingUniverse or (ATG), Class Action lawsuit is on its way!

• Co
      26th of Mar, 2010
    Lighting Universe - return policy
    lighting univers

Recently ordered some lights from ATG (lightinguniverse.com). Two of model A, one of model B. Decided I wanted a third model A instead of 2 A's and 1 B. Sent B back. Website claims "no hassle returns" -- indeed, no hassle but despite the fact that I purchased something ELSE from them, they took the $99 I paid for the original item B, deducted $11 for shipping (apparently you get charged separate shipping for EACH item) and then deducted a 50% restocking fee. All told, I got $38 back from my $99 purchase. Do NOT !!! order from them, find it somewhere else. Return policy (charges of 60%! for return) is completely unclear on the website, not to mention on the documentation that comes with it.

• Dc
      18th of Aug, 2010

Another angry (one time) customer.

This is without question the most laughably bad example of online shopping I have ever experienced.

DO NOT EVER BUY FROM THESE CROOKS

I ordered an item and was told I would be contacted when it was available from the manufacturer. A few days later, I received an email saying they had it in their warehouse and they would despatch it two weeks from this date. This was no good to me so I contacted them to cancel the order. Ha!! I was told there was no way I could cancel, despite the fact that it would be sitting in their warehouse for two weeks, they couldn't interrupt the process and would have to ship it out to me regardless. i was told to await receipt and then return it.

As you can see from other comments, this is no mean feat. Doubly difficult is the fact that I am in Canada; I had to pay brokerage fees to import the item which I will never get back and now reading about their deceit re: returns and refunds I would be as well hanging on to the goods. Its not worth it to only get part of the costs refunded.

This is fraudulent and how they get away with it is beyond me. They can thank their lucky stars I'm not anywhere near their ofices ... yet.

• Ea
      18th of May, 2011
    Lighting Universe - HORRIBLE Customer Service

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE customer service! Buyer beware! They sent me a duplicate order after I had called to cancel it days before the item shipped out. They shipped it anyway and want me to return it at my cost. I tried e-mailing this customer service department and I never received a response so I then called their customer service department (waited on hold for 23 mins.) to try and remedy this situation and when I asked to speak with a manager I was hung up on! I tried to call back and they refused to let me speak with a manager or give me the name of the person I was speaking to. We just placed 3 orders totaling over $700. I am going to try my hardest to return all items because I want NOTHING to do with this HORRIBLE company. Please save your money, time, and grief and do not ever order from Lighting Universe/ATGstores.com!

• Pr
      27th of May, 2011

Hi eaosipow,

I addressed your review on resellerratings.com but again, my name is Taryn and I handle the public relations for ATGStores.com. I would sincerely like to apologize for your experience with us in all areas. I personally would like to offer you my help toward resolving your situation as we really do care about our customers. I am here to help so please contact me at pr@atgstores.com and we can begin from there! Thank you for your patience and cooperation. I really am here to help if you are interested. Thank you!

• Al
      9th of Dec, 2011
    Lighting Universe - Exceptionally bad customer service
    Lighting Universe
    Kirkland
    Washington

I placed fairly large order on their website which somehow git entered into their system twice - two absolutely identical orders started arriving to my doorsteps couple days later. I called their customer service to notify of situation and asked them to pick up extra items which I did not purchase. Lighting Universe support was absolutely terrible in handling this matter, they refused to pay for shipment and accused me of placing the same order twice. I was so disgusted with the way they treated me over the phone that decided to return my original order as well. If I have to pay for their mistakes then might as well take my $ somewhere else.