Lighting By Gregory / Miss-leading adds, slow, slow customer support

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! Lighting by Gregory is a complete ripoff. They advertised a ceiling fan with a specific wall controler. I call the Co befor ordering to verifiy that indeed this wall controler came with the fan. Well, it did not and now they say it's a typo?? on the web site. And now because I partially installed the fan, they won't take it back.

Contacting customer service is slow, slow. All communication is done through the Co web site and it takes a day or two to get a response to each question or concern. It took me a week just to have a 3 line conversation with someone.

Very unhelpfull, very evasive, unaccomidating and very, very slow!!!

Ti

Comments

4th of Feb, 2009

Haha, my experience was about the same as yours, Tim. I purchased two PLC-1071SN sconces. The package shows up and there's two eviscerated boxes inside, with the styrofoam all ripped apart, so they could fit them both in the same box. And it turns out the sconces don't match the pictures. The pictures show a 5'x10' sconce, but these are square.

I actually learned that web requests are futile. What you really have to do is submit a web request (otherwise they won't talk to you on the phone), then follow-up a day later with a phone call. Otherwise they'll just make a half-assed response that doesn't match what you're asking for.

I learned this through submitting 4-5 different web requests, plus calling them a dozen times, while they promised me replacement parts on two different dates. Those dates came and went (I spent OVER A MONTH waiting) before I started asking hard for a refund. They basically ignored me until I mentioned I was talking to my credit card company about it. Then they moved quick and fast. Funny how that works :).

• Vw
      21st of Feb, 2009

I placed an order last October. They charged my credit card right away, but it's now February and I still haven't received the products I ordered.

I can't talk to them -- they aren't answering the phone. I never got a shipping confirmation through email, and there doesn't seem to be a way to even email them. I think they just took my money and ripped me off.

• Vw
      23rd of Feb, 2009

Following up on my last comment -- I managed to talk to them today, and they checked their records, saw that the item never shipped & was now discontinued, and offered to refund my money. No yelling involved. Went pretty smooth.

• Ge
      15th of Mar, 2009

I had a similar negative experience with this company. I ordered 5- Litex ceiling fans from this so-called "company" in August 2008. The fans were NOT in stock, they were direct ship from Litex's Warehouse in Texas 9-days after I place the order. In total, it took 16-days to get these fans. When they finally arrived, only 4 out of the 5 came by UPS. One was missing and Lighting By Gregory never bother to let me know one was backordered until I ask them about it.

To make things more "pleasant" two of the fans had cosmetic defects, One was a return and the other was so old, rust had built in the metal housing. I confronted, Lighting By Gregory with the condition these two fans arrive and their reply was a very cold that it was NOT THEIR PROBLEM, but mine and I need to contact Litex to correct the issues with them.

On top of that, their policies are very misleading, very unfair and not customer friendly, when something is shown and described as included and you don't get it, it was a typo and you're responsable for believing that and not making sure what you wanted will come with what was shown.

Their customer service is non-existent. You have to communicate via their website., NO phone calls, NO chat sessions, only email communication. Which like the OP says takes 24-hours to get ONE reply to ONE question. The Customer is always wrong at Lighting By Gregory. AVOID!

• Bk
      13th of Sep, 2010

Lighting by Gregory is one of the worst vendors I have dealt with, and I order nearly everything on the internet now. All 3 orders I place with them had errors (wrong finish x 1, wrong lamp shade x 2). Their customer "service" is rude, unhelpful, will not amend orders that they have made errors on prior to sending to the manufacturer, etc. I have since learned that their website "in stock" indicator is meaningless: Lighting by Gregory does not carry inventory of most products they sell but individually orders the item(s) from the manufacturer that then ships directly to the consumer, explaining their consistent availability issues seen on multiple reviews. I will not be purchasing from Lighting by Gregory again: there are just too many great vendors to choose from to go with an inefficient, rude vendor no matter how large they are.

• Jl
      10th of May, 2011

Wow, I wish I had seen this site before ordering. I phoned with a problem this morning about receiving a damaged light - she absolutely would not talk to me and said I have to send an email. I first ordered on April 19, received two items so far out of three, and they have no way to check on site where your stuff is - yup you have to send another email. It will be interesting to see how long this all takes. We build houses and if their customer service was good we would use them over and over. As it is, this will be the one and only time.