liberty reward & trust / sd i won

255 wilcott driveToronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 416-823-2790
rec'd letter statingiwon de-lotto north american sweepstakes
lottery held on 10.10 second category
shouldn't cash check till in call and pay the taxes to there
tax agent
then after that is done I can deposit the check to me for them
bank showing on the ck is compass bank in dallas texas
I need to know if this is a scam--- if so please shut them down .
thanks!!
Fr

Comments

17th of Nov, 2008
Received the same letter and bogus check on November 17th. This is fake and people should turn it over to the local authorities as I did. They said they will notify the proper people including the United States Postal Services as this is fraud and they are using the US mail to deliver this.
  17th of Nov, 2008
BY the way the addres on the correspondence that I received was 255 Wincott Drive Toronto Ontario and the phone # they said to use was 1-416-732-5386
Ti
  18th of Nov, 2008
I recieved the same check, who do I notify at the postal service.
Be
  18th of Nov, 2008
I ALSO RECEIVED THE SAME CHECK ABOUT WINNING THE LOTTERY IN CANADA. ALL THE SAME THINGS WERE SAID IN MY LETTER TOO. AM PLANNING ON TURNING IT OVER TO A CONSUMER LAWYER THAT WORKS FOR FOX 13 NEWS. PEOPLE LIKE THIS NEED TO BE STOPPED.

BY,
BEV
Jo
  18th of Nov, 2008
I received the same letter, 255 Wincott Drive, Toronto, Ontario, contact Mrs. Jessica Armstrong 1-416-732-5386 last Saturday.
Actually called and got recorded message that party was currently unavailable, in English & in French.
Should have done a search 1st. I was skeptical and curious to find out what the catch was.
Check for $4875.00 looks absolutely real, there is an Alabama address for "Liberty Reward & Trust Inc. and an Illinois address for "Harris Bank Central N.A. "
Does anyone know what exactly the scam is?
Not sure what to do w/the check...
Su
  18th of Nov, 2008
Same letter, numbers and addresses. And yes the check looked very good. However, it was set to an address about a year old and in a plain envelope with no return address of any kind on the outside. There was enough that made no sense that I came to the internet and found this site and another one listing the same company under "Scams"...I didn't call the number given, am glad each of you reported the same infor and the exact same amt. on the check. I was hoping that it wasn't a scam. I could really use the money!!! See, it easy to get hooked.
Mi
  19th of Nov, 2008
I got the same lette 11-18-2008 with the same message and check for the same amount. I tried to call the number to see what the catch was. I figured they would want my bank information to send the rest of the money to. But I got the same message that the person was unavailable. I have not reported this yet. Who should I report it to? The check looks real and I was going to look the bank up on the internet but I looked up the company first and found this site on all the reports of scam first. I am glad I did. Thanks for posting this.
  19th of Nov, 2008
THIS IS SO WRONG THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE ASHAME OF THEMSELVES, BUT AGAIN THEY MIGHT BE DESPERATE TO GO THUR ALL THAT TROUBLE TO SEND THESE CKS OUT IN THAT SAME AMT SAME ADDRESS HOPING TO FIND SOMEONE THAT WOULD THINK THAT THEY HAD ACTUALLY WON IS SO UNSENSITIVE. I HOPE THEY CATCH THEM. WE NEED TO TURN THESE CKS IN JUST DON'T KNOW TO WHO.
Pa
  21st of Nov, 2008
received the same letter and check amt bank in calf checked with the bank and the account number is real. But the address they gave for calf is not. also called the number and got no room in voice mail! who do you contact to report the scam?
Be
  22nd of Nov, 2008
I also received one of these checks.
If anyone gets a check...DON'T cash it.
If you do, these scammers will have your signature and your account number.
That is probably the payoff for these lowlifes.
Isn't this mail fraud?
And therefore a U.S. Federal offense?

The U.S. Feds and the Canadien Feds (RCMP) should saddle up and get these guys.
Pa
  24th of Nov, 2008
Got the letter. 11-24-08 looks very real. thank goodness i look up on internet first!!! dated 11-14-08 Joseph Peters signed mine. i thought it was bad that they try on the internet but now through the US Postal service. just who do we turn these into???
La
  24th of Nov, 2008
I just checkd my mail and received the same! Whoever is sending these out is using different bank names. Must depend on which geographical area they are mailing to. I'm so glad I checked the name out first.

Same MO - Delivered in an envelope with no return address. Lotto drawing date of 10/10/08 in the second category. Exact same amount on check $4, 875. From Compass Bank in Dallas TX. Lettersigned by Joseph Peters. Disbursement Agent Jessica Armstrong. This check looks VERY authentic.

Where can we report this? How dare they prey on people like this in this bad economy where there are alot of folks out there praying for some kind of financial relief!
Sa
  24th of Nov, 2008
This is definitely fraud. I work for a bank and always come across these checks. They have you deposit the check and use the funds to forward to the fraudsters to pay for the taxes they claim you owe. I have seen these checks bounce back. When you wire the funds to them there is no way in getting your funds back. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. YOU WILL BE OUT OF YOUR OWN MONEY. BANKS ARE NOT LIABLE FOR THE MONEY YOU WIRE TO THEM WHEN THESE CHECKS ARE RETURNED.
Te
  28th of Nov, 2008
I just received same letter and check for the amount of $4875.00, but my address was Liberty Reward and trust in Los Angeles Ca. The bank was Union Bank Of california also of LA.
Ja
  30th of Nov, 2008
I too receive the same letter and check, it said i was a winner and all i had to do was call and get the info before cashing the check. I'm glad I found out it was a scam. How can we stop such a hoax from continuing to happen. The address that was used Liberty Reward & Trust Inc. 10351 Olympic Dr. Dallas TX. My check amount was also 4, 875.00.
Jo
  1st of Dec, 2008
we just receive the letter today and we called the number and he said to deposit the check well went to my bank to find out about it and its true they are a bunch of scam artists i even called the m&t bank and the account was closed so people dont deposit the check..they asked if we shopped at walmart or lowes so dont beleive them they are ripping u off
  1st of Dec, 2008
I rceived same ck today, called bank in Tx to notify them. they also steal account numbers for these fake cks. if you cash ck you are liable. tould me to rip up ck. I have notified Canada FBI. problem is they use pre paid cell phones and are always moving. crazy!!!
Ne
  1st of Dec, 2008
I also received this check today, saying I won $120, 000 and my initial check for 4875. However this one has Liberty Reward and Trust in Danbury, CT zip code 06810, 39 old ridgebury rd. Also the bank being used is now JPMorgan and Chase, in Syracuse, NY 13206. LETS GET THESE FRAUDS IN DEEP TROUBLE! How dare they! Who should I contact? JPMorgan? The postal service won't do a damn thing about it, so how do we get these s.o.b's?
Re
  2nd of Dec, 2008
I recieved the same letter today 12-02-08. The check does look very real. The woman in charge of my letter is also Jessica Armstrong. My plans is to call in the morning act as if i am going to go through with this, cuss her out, and tell every one I know about this. I feel sorry for people like us trying to make it to the next day. Times are so hard and people like Jessica can take everything we own buy just one click of a mouse. If we continue to stick together, and let our voices be heard, maybe the right person can read our cry, maybe we can put people like Jessica behide bars, or find them and whip their A_ _ . We have the Elderly, and just hard working people, just waiting for our financial blessings, and people like Jessy just destoring all our hopes, and dreams. (SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!)
Mi
  2nd of Dec, 2008
Aren't we all SO LUCKY to WIN a lottery that none of us have even entered! First of all, Government taxes on $125, 000 is going to be way more than the $2, 875 they are requesting be sent directly to the tax agent. This has SCAM written all over it. My husband was ready to head to the bank...I feel sorry for those who fall for this. What can we do to stop this?