LG Refrigerator / faulty control board

1 GA, United States Review updated:

I purchased two LG refrigerators from Home Depot for the two houses that we built last year. Both refrigerators quit working within 6 months of usage. The refrigerator has a control board (sometimes called computer board) installed in the back that has a fuse which is actually soldered on the board and is not removable or replaceable. This particular fuse does not last for more than a few months or sometimes it would blow up just days after your warranty expires. Then you have to deal with the repair company who represents LG in the area. The service company that represents LG in our area was found to be rude, inconsiderant, and showed up late on every appointment. The refrigerators were out of service for over 10 days as the new control board had to be ordered from out of town. This would be my last time I would ever buy any LG appliance, the last refrigerator I owned ran for 13 years without a problem before I donated it to a needy family and it is still running fine. LG refrigerators that I purchased did not even run for 6 months before breaking down with a major part replacement. I will be happy to share the photos of the part that goes bad in most cases, it should really be recalled by the company. If you need more info, please email me lipsonjennifer@gmail.com

Comments

• Al
      27th of Mar, 2010

I'm having the exact same issue. LG Refrigerator model LBC22520ST. LG Customer service has been extremely unhelpful every time I called them to assist me with this problem. Suddenly the refrigerator stopped working. No lights, no fan, no motor...nothing is working. The fridge is completely dead. I bought it July of 2008 from Home Depot.

• Jl
      28th of Mar, 2010

Yes, I had purchased two refrigerators with the same model and they both broke within five to seven months of usage. Unfortunately, we too ran out of the warranty as our both refrigerators were purchased for the two houses that my husband built. The house were never sold and the refrigerators were not even plugged in for few months. We ended up using one for our own house and the other one was giving to a friend. They both were broken within a few months of usage and I have the most horrible experience of dealing with LG customer service and the repair company that represents LG in the greater Atlanta area. I am seriously thinking about getting together with all the fellow sufferers and contact Home Depot and return out refrigerators. LG will take them back through Homme depot but will refuse to work with us. You may contact me at gmail lipsonjennifer is my id. Another thing I was thinking about was to contact their world headquarter in Seoul, Korea and see if we can get anny help from them.

• Al
      29th of Mar, 2010

Here is an FYI for others with similar issues. Thanks a million to the person who started this message board. I was able to fix my issue, by replacing a bad fuse on the control board. Seems to be the most common problem on those new LG refrigerators. It's also very easy to replace the entire computer/control board on your own, if you have any basic electronics skills. However, you'll have to order the control board over the phone. I believe only one place sells those LG computer boards. Unfortunately, since this type of work involves high voltage work and a person could get seriously injured, I do not feel comfortable sharing all the steps here. In doubt contact a repair technician.

17th of Aug, 2017

@Aldomott THAT ISN'T THAT HARD OF A REPAIR

20th of Apr, 2010

I also had the same problem with my LG. I ordered the freezer fan and the circuit board. My problem is that I can't locate the control board to replace. Can u tell me the location of the board? And the freezer fan. Thank you for your help. Ducati312@yahoo.com. LG LRSC26930TT

17th of Aug, 2017

@Jorge G Look on u-tube on repair videos You should be able to find your part there, search in Bing too

• Li
      29th of Apr, 2010

hello I also have the same problem with the freezer fan where did you order the fan from? if you don't mind and the cicuit board on mine is on top of my refrigerator I just followed the power cord thanks and did you find the fan? thanks...

• Ca
      4th of Jun, 2010

We have the same problem with blown fuse. Why would you build a circuit board with a fuse that is soldered on? Because you want to sell lots of overpriced circuit boards. LG support (we are a few months beyond warranty) simply tells you to contact local repair shop. I have never heard of the place they want me to contact.

• Ca
      6th of Jun, 2010

Here's an update on what I was able to do with the blown fuse on circuit board. From a local electronics store, I purchased a pair of fuse clips for 50 cents and a pack of 5 fuses for $7.50. I cut out the soldered on fuse, leaving as much of the wire as possible. After removing one leg from the new clips and folding the other out flat, I was able to bend the wires on the circuit board over the clips and solder them in place. I now have a circuit board with replaceable fuse. The local LG authorized repair shop wanted $150 for a new circuit board. This repair job is not recommended for anyone that is not pretty handy and able to do some careful soldering.

16th of Jun, 2010

We have a lot problems with this LG frige LBC22520ST
    first the fan star to make noises, Now it goes off, to make it work again i have to unplug it for a few hours. i'm afraid that i will lose my frige it is just 2 years old. Well if some body have any information how to fix this piece of junk i will really apreciate it. My email adress is
    martin68@sbcglobal.net
    Thanks

• Ro
      28th of Jul, 2010

Had this LG refige LFC23760SB since 11/08. Quite (had power but no cooling)after 6 months 6/1/09 and took 9 days for them to repair. Said the computer/circuit board needed reset due to a power outage????? They unplugged for a couple of minutes to reset (?) and plugged back in and it started to work again. Worked fine until 6/19/10 then everything quite. This time it only took 8 days for them to tell me they had to order a part (fuse blown in the circuit bd/computer)and that would take another 4 days to get the part. Repaired and working but we have NO FAITH in it. The only smart thing I did was buy the extended warrenty. Between the 2 times that it quite which was 3 weeks total it was a real pain with NO Refige. I would NOT reccemend an LG at this time.

• Rd
      8th of Sep, 2010

We bought this refrigerator in August of 2008 from Home Depot. We've enjoyed it so far, but like has been mentioned, it stopped working. Luckily for us, we did some research and discovered this problem. Not wanting to have to replace the $150 part and pay another $100 just to have someone come and look at it, we called a relative and tried the fuse fix. Well it's working, but like someone else said, we have little faith in it. MUCHO THANKS to this message board and others we looked at. You saved us $250, at least. That just about covers the price of food that we lost.

• Rd
      8th of Sep, 2010

Oh, and the power outage thing is bunk. There was no outage in our house.

• Av
      16th of Nov, 2010

I just had the same problem as many of you a week or so ago. The fuse is soldered on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board). I have a fair amount of electronics training and did have the tools to repair it myself but I understand that most will not. The easiest thing to do is to disconnect the board and bring it to a electronics store and have them solder in fuse clips that fit the fuse that you intend on using (125Volt, 15Amp) this way the next time it blows you will simply be able to pull out the fuse and replace it with your fingers. NOTE...if this is done pls make sure that the fridge is unplugged before you replace the fuse, as this fuse (that most are complaining about) is the main power fuse (F1 on the wiring diagram). Also from experience if the fuse continues to blow over and over, this means you have a problem somewhere else in the fridge. This is what a fuse is for, to protect the equipment from doing damage beyond repair. This would be the time to call a tech if you dont know how to troubleshoot more than a visual check. The fuses at a store should be fairly cheap ($5-10 and you will probley have to buy a pack of three). To have a electronic store solder in the clips should also be fairly cheap (this is dependant on who you bring it to and how honest they are because it should take no longer than 30 min to solder in the fuse clips) Then simply plug the connectors to the board back in and close everything up and plug the fridge back in. everything should be good to go.
    My fridge is model number LFC23760SB and from what I gather this is a problem with many similar models. In LG's defence they cannot predict when a fuse will blow, sometimes it just happens or like I said before it may be doing its job and blowing because of an another problem with the fridge.
    I hope this helps. I know it saved me $188 on a new PCB. Good Luck

11th of Mar, 2011

i agree

11th of Mar, 2011

I have a 2008 LG by Kenmore elite, fridge. I have lost all power. I suppose it's this fuse. Whatever happened to the days when, the manufacturer provided wiring diagram stickers ON the fridge?

Anyway, I suppose it's this fuse everyone is having trouble with. If my repairman goes to quote me a price on a new circuit board, I have no choice. I'm gonna have to go to radio shack and try to solder in a replacable fuse coupling. You have to be very careful to NOT apply too much heat to that board when soldering in those fuse clips. If you are not familiar with soldering circuits, I would not recommend it. I'm only going to have to try this out of poverty.
    Why the brainiac engineers didn't provide an easy fuse replacment to save this board is beyond even me.

16th of Mar, 2011

thanks to everyone: I fixed this thing. SOlDERED my own new fuse in there, , (it was tricky, had to design my own clips to clip the fuse to) I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THE POSTER OF THIS THREAD AND ALL THE CONTRIBUTERS!!! THANKS SO MUCH for helping me get this thing up and running for FREE!!! FREE!!! I LOVE IT!!

16th of Mar, 2011

this is the kind of thread that can save folks lots of money and time getting their fridge up and running again.

• Ha
      11th of Apr, 2011

I have LG LBC22520ST fridge. No power problem as specified in complaints below. Steps to fix this, at least in my case was to replace the blown 125V 15 Amp fuses that is soldered to the board and perhaps uses a non-lead soldering so need to apply a little more heat. Bought the fuse housing and fuses at Radio shack for a total of $7.00. Use solder and solder sucker strip to remove excess solder. Solder a wire on each end, reinsert the soldered housing, fuse and it works like a charm. Perhaps you know a friend who can help. What is the loss? Or buy a new board on a site like this.
    Yours may be slightly different model. The board was easy to get to, it is on the back with 3 screws holding a panel of 16"X 12" metal panel that stick out. Good luck.

26th of May, 2011

as a service provider of 26yrs this even scares me but lg and samsung tech support not educated they have no clue i am an honest servicer doing a job with a bad board and i would like to tell you the cord should be inspected due to bad design ori
    no aginal longer vail

2nd of Jul, 2011

Hi, I have the same model of fridge except mine is black (LFC23760SB). I've had mine for 2 years and am having the same problem except my fuses seem to be fine. I have two fuses on my computer board and neither one appears to be blown. Is there anything else it could be or can a fuse be blown (maybe inside the sliver edge piece) and still appear to be completely intact?

9th of Jul, 2011

I got it figured out. I had an LG tech in a few days ago and he told me that the board had failed. He tried to replace the board but the one he had with him was the wrong board. He called me the next day to tell me that the board I need is on back order (surprize surprize). So, I decided to check things out myself. I used my multimeter to discover that despite appearances, one of the fuses had indeed failed. I don't know how to solder electronics but a friend at work is very experienced and offered to help me. I picked up a replacement fuse (package of 5 for $2.49) and a pack of 10 fuse clips ($3.49) and he took out the old fuse and installed the clips and a new fuse. This afternoon I put the board back in the fridge and it sparked back to life. I'm pretty psyched that $6 in parts allowed me to save a very expensive repair and modify my fridge to now have a replaceable fuse like it should have been in the first place. I had asked the tech why LG doesn't make the boards with replaceable fuses because soldering them in place seems to defeat the purpose of the fuse. He told me that you don't get a very good connection with fuse clips. Riiiiiiight. That's why every other fused application on the planet uses clips. Anyhow, if anyone else finds this forum and is having the same issue, I highly recommend you do what I did. Even if you have to pay someone to do it, it's gotta be cheaper than replacing the whole board every time it happens and I have no doubt that it will happen again. I'm also going to go out and buy a surge protector for the fridge so hopefully that will help protect it from further power spikes.