LG Refrigerator / anyone who bought an lg refrigerator has run into this problem

1 Canada Review updated:

Last September, I thought I was buying the most expensive appliance in my lifetime and that I would love it. Sorry to say, that was not a reality. The freezer which is supposed to be frost-free has not been working as a frost-free. I had made calls to the dealer TOM'S APPLIANCE, Grand Ave., Chatham, Ontario and in March one of their employees came and took a look at the problem. He said he will tell the owner of the shop and the repairman, and then he left. One month later still heard nothing from them so I called the store and left a message with the owner's wife. She said she would speak with Mike who had come and seen the problem. Three or four days later, still had not heard from anyone. I stopped by the store and spoke with the owner's wife, personally, and she told me she had left Mike a note, which she showed me, and it had a note on it that they were going to do something about it the next day. Eventually, Paul, a serviceman, came and supposedly adjusted some hose and said that that might fix it. He chopped away at the ice in and around the bottom and helped me clean all the broken ice. Two months later I call them again to let them know that the problem is not solved. This is now July and I don't know what to do. I am wondering if I should ask them to replace the refrigerator as I obviously got a lemon, but I just can't make lemonade with it.

I am wondering if anyone who bought an LG Refrigerator has run into this problem. I know of someone who had bought another brand and had a similar problem with a brand new item. They did change the thermostat for them and it was fixed.

The dealer told me they had never heard of my problem before, so they don't know how to repair it. I can't even open the ice cube drawer because of the ice forming around it. It's frustrating on a hot day when I can't get an ice cube from my fridge freezer. An item I paid over $1,600.00 for.

• Jtmm1960's Response, May 09, 2017

12 days not 112 wont let me edit it sry

• utsuk dutta's Response, Sep 18, 2017

my LG ac is not cooling properly and desktop monitor is not responding .I need the service of an LG authorize personnel at home.

• Aspk han's Response, Mar 14, 2018

Sir my lg g3 cat6 doesn't support 4g network .pllease help me about it.it is "kitkat"version

• Gopal Chakravorty's Response, Apr 15, 2018

LG AC not working since 1 Year No cooling, the trust has been broken .

After the company free service this problem has arrise

Comments

• Da
      20th of Sep, 2008

I have owned an LG fridge for about 5 years and has until now worked fine, however I have started to get ice buildup on the bottom of the freezer unit. It's like a skating rink on the bottom, not a frost build up all over, just a layer of ice on the bottom. Temperature seems O.k.

The door seal, seems to be O.k.

The fridge temperature may not be as cold either.

I am wondering if anyone knows what is casuing this problem. I am assuming a particular part is not working properly, given the fact that is has worked fine for 5 year.

We did recently thaw the fridge out for a day to get rid of frost etc., and the problem seems to have started after that.

Thanks

• Ni
      28th of Sep, 2008

we bought 3 fridge last to last year and all have some problem.2 times i have to send it to service center but the problem is at is it. please take a quick action otherwise i w'll go to" UPBHOKTA PHORUM"

• La
      5th of Oct, 2008

Our refridgerator is 1.5 years old. Not only did we experience the lights staying on and scorching the inside of the unit. We now have the Freezer Fan error at least every other day. Unplugging it worked for a while, but now the unit sits empty and off. We are at a loss on what to do with such an expensive not working appliance. We are very disappointed and will not by LG again.

• Ta
      10th of Oct, 2008

i purchase the split air conditioner june 7, 2008.goods not working last 2 months.i was report so many times but no one person come the spot.plz make the action, i believe you, please don't delay other wise i'll move the legal action.

23rd of Oct, 2008

I purchased LG lfx21960st in Feb 07. Last week I have an error message of er if . At first no one could tell me what that meant. Now I am told that they have to pull the interior of my freezer out and screw in a sheet of plastic to keep the ceiling from falling in!!! When I tried to pin LG down as to what caused that, the skirted the issue and put me on hold for 30 minutes.. (Do I have patience??) . The area of FL where I live the repair men are not very bright, that goes for sears, and Brighthouse...I do not like the idea of them screwing plastic in my freezer to stop the ceiling from falling in...This is suppose to stop the fan from freezing up as it will add more insulatiuon!! My fridge cost $2799.00 and I have a hunk of junk..No more LG for me... I was smart enough to prchase the extended warranty!!!

• Lk
      28th of Oct, 2008

We too, purchased an LG french door frig with bottom freezer about in April 2006. Exactly one day before our one-year warranty ran out, I called Sears to get it serviced for a noisy condition that turned out to be a build up of frost hitting the fan. Guess what! It's doing it again! I would like to sue LG! I hope there is a class action law suit and that LG has to "eat crow"! I WILL NOT BUY AN LG ANYTHING EVER AGAIN!

Yours truly,
    BURNED UP!

• Ka
      28th of Oct, 2008

I have had a big problem removing the old filter for exchange. I had to drill a hole near the top of the filter to get a screwdriver to the top to help PRY out the filter after turning it to the remove spot.

Now I have another problem. The water comes out CLEAR but the ICE has some kind of PARTICLES in it that look like a white film dust. You can see the stuff at the bottom of your glass after a few minutes of a swirling particle dance is over. Does anyone have any Ideas about how to fix this or what the ICE is contaminated with?

• Lo
      6th of Nov, 2008

esto me sirvio para mi tarea de ingles:$ jajjja

• Mw
      10th of Nov, 2008

We also have the LG bottom "frost free" french door bottom freezer unit. We puchased this in 2006 and are on our second call to the store to have it fixed. Thankfully we puchased the extended warranty. The freezer is full of frost and ice, the temperature sensor was bad the first time - we'll see what happens this time. The previous models (2004-2005) were recalled for this exact issue. Why were these models not included in the recall??? If enough complaints are filed with the cpsc - they could issue a recall. Personally, I'm tired of my freezer dying in the middle of the night and losing tons of food!!!

• Kp
      25th of Nov, 2008

I have an LG LRTN1832 and I just had Dr. Dan The Appliance Man (excellent service) in and he said that the fridge cannot be repaired as the leak is inside the wall of the fridge! I've had a leak for the past month every couple of days.

I have an extended warranty with Leon's (4 years) and so they said they'll replace the fridge for one of similar value. Thankfully, I just went on their site and they don't offer LG's anymore in this price range. I was always told to never buy the warranty but I'm glad I did ($175 for 4 appliances for 4 years). Thanks for all your stories. I agree with all - don't buy LG!

K. Paige ---Windsor, Ontario

• Le
      4th of Dec, 2008

The same problem. Bought LFC21760ST refrigerator for $2, 400 in January 2007. The temp control unit got melted and detached, exposing all wires. In addition, a lot of broken plastic parts. VERY POOR QUALITY! Never again LG product for me.

• Ra
      14th of Apr, 2009

Dear Sir,

My refrigirator is not working. Please come to my house do repair.

My address:
    Mobile no:+919011010360
    +919011033745

• Un
      22nd of May, 2009

I purchased the LSC 27950SW in September of 2007. We had to have our ice maker fixed in March of 2008. Now it is broken again. First it would not dispense ice, now it won't make ice at all. The first TWO customer service reps I spoke to just tried to dismiss me because I am out of warranty. The third gave me a couple of tricks to try. The fourth gave me another trick. And the fifth finally transferred me to a manager who once again told me there is nothing LG will do to help me. The funny thing is, I asked all six people if LG offers extended warranties, the sixth person told me NOW LG offers them, but I am too late since I purchased my refrigerator in 2007. So instead of the $99 it would have cost me to extend my warranty, now I will spend over $200 to have my ice maker fixed AGAIN and I have to pray it does not break again next year.

You know, good companies like Whirlpool and Frigidaire send you a letter/bill when your warranty has expired and they offer you an extended warranty. I will never buy anything from LG again. My dishwasher sucks too (it smells and the dishes are never clean).

I've been searching the internet and finding all of the complaints people have with LG, so I know I am ANOTHER unsatisfied customer.

• Qu
      13th of Aug, 2009

LG Model #LFC25760SB - Best Buy is selling this junk. This model has double refrigerator doors and a lower freezer drawer. The right rail that allows the ice tray to be accessed has popped apart. The ball-bearings that make the tray smoothly move in and out scattered and are unaccounted for. I found half a dozen of them in the bottom. They are like BB's used in a gun. LG has a terrible website. You cannot get a full parts list or diagram with an exploded view to ID any of the parts. My 76 year old mother bought all new LG appliances for her new retired dream house from Best Buy. She received them months prior to the house being completed. So, it is now one month out of warranty and has not been used 6 months. The service people want $150 to come out. That probably does not include parts. I am still searching for a place that provides all the parts and some assistance for the son that has to 'do it himself'. I love my mom, but none of use will ever purchase an LG product again! All Best Buy wanted to do was sell an extended warranty on ALL her LG appliances for a hefty price. I guess the oven, washer, dryer, microwave/hood will all start to cause problems next. Amana, Kenmore, Whirlpool have always been great to us in the past. Don't be WOWED by a company that puts a TV in the door of a refrigerator (not in her model). If they can't get the basics down, why in the heck would they market a TV? Seems rather odd to me. I watch too much TV as it is. I don't need to stand in front of the fridge to watch more. Besides, fridge time is for commercial time! I am on a rant here! I will follow-up with more on the outcome of this LG disappointment. LG = Luxurious Garbage! Buyer Beware!

• Qu
      14th of Aug, 2009

So far I have learned a lot about this South Korean product:

1. You better purchase the extended warranty, no matter where you purchased it.

2. LG uses only 3 known outlets for the replacement parts.

3. LG wants to sell the Service Manual for $15.00 + shipping. I, fortunately, found a free copy on-line. Unfortunately, the Service Manual does NOT tell you the part numbers to order once you have ID'ed them via the exploded view. It states in the manual "CAUTION: Use the part number to order the part, not the position number." (In their defense, they do have a few part numbers for the electronic items, resistors, capacitors, etc. - NO help for mechanical or "appearance" parts)

4. When you do call one of the 3 outlets, they have less info in front of them than I did. My inquiry has been passed on to their research department, along with my research: LG LFC25760SB Service Manual, page 42, position 145C in the freezer parts diagram. That is the entire assembly, LG does not sell the one part that I need out of it. The parts outlet report a 4 - 24 hour turnaround time for a response. I called on a Thursday afternoon. I am crossing my fingers.

5. The 3 outlets have poor part descriptions and 'no images available'. I am a technical person by profession. How do the repair personnel do their jobs?

6. LG does not have their own service department, they outsource it all.

7. The Energy Star rating on all their lower freezer design models are way off. This has been 'government verified'; whatever that means today.

8. I have read that a group has exercised 'the Lemon Law' on LG. I will be researching this further. I want in on this action.

9. Reportedly, some of the models of bottom freezer/refridgerators in this line have 'caught fire' from the 60 watt bulbs not turning off when the doors are closed. This caused food to ruin and parts to literally melt. I have seen the photos. I did not save them, but search the net they are posted. Also, reports of insulation potentially contaminating food content. Hopefully, future models have overcome some of these issues.

10. LG, actually stands for Lucky-Goldstar. They have been around a long time. In the U.S., Goldstar had some reasonably cheap appliances. I had an oscillating fan that worked fine for years. NOT a big investment! In Korea, Lucky is known for toothpaste. Popular brand to keep your teeth white, I understand.

11. I have learned many lessons, that I will continue to pass on to help others do their own servicing of LG products. If this had been any other well known brand, I could have easily called my local appliance parts store and, most likely, had the part today. However, I do like Kenmore, but LG makes some models for them. Kenmore is private-labeled from other quality manufacturers. I hope Sears is not having issues like some of us have...

12. Finally, for now, I would not even purchase Lucky toothpaste if LG owns it!

P.S. LG provides The United States of America a 1 year warranty. Our friendly Canadian neighbors receive a 2 year warranty on the same product. Oh, also LG discontinued this line 1 year ago. Best Buy sold my senior citizen mother a discontinued item at the time of purchase. Who can I bark at for this one???

More to come...

18th of Aug, 2009

LG is also becoming a fraud company. Number provided on website not working. online complaint registration not working. Customer care does not know anything.

Total dissatisfaction.

• Su
      1st of Sep, 2009

Do not buy an LG Fridge!!! I manage an apartment building and unfortunately installed 7 or 8 during remodels. They are unreliable and a fire hazard.
    The switch fails that turns out the light and the plastic housing melts that covers the bulbs . What a mess. Every now and then the compressors stop working and everything melts in the freezer and goes bad in the fridge.

LG does not stand behind their products. They also act like they never heard of this problem, also the repair man that we have to pay acts like he has never seen it.

I

• 72
      25th of Oct, 2009

I bought a French Door Refrigerator from Sears. It ended up being a LG. Have had problems since Day 1. Serviceman worked on freezer 3 times. Ice maker was replaced twice. Then the Freezer fan went out. I replace that myself. This is the worst piece of equipment I have ever bought. The doors have to be forcefully shut or they won't close. This Refrigerator had to have been designed by a man, no woman would have ever been so dumb.

• Ar
      1st of Dec, 2009
    LG India - Non Receipt of Free gift DTH
    India

I had purchase 32" LCD TV on 27 Aug 2009 from Next store from Vastrapur Ahmedabad- India. They offered DTH as free gift and asked me to send the required document along with DD of Rs, 99/- to Spectramind at Noida. I had send all the required document along with DD of rs. 99/- and confirmed from there that they have received on 2 sept 2009 and confirmed that we will dispatached the item within 15 days. Now since 3 months i am trying and getting no respones from the company. I had wasted lot of time and money in making lot of calls.

the free Gift coupon No is 235816 given by LG

You are kindly requested to help me.

AK Tyagi Scientist in ISRO

• To
      2nd of Mar, 2010

I will never by LG brand again. We got the 2 door refrigerator and thought this is a good one, but after 2 months later it started giving us problems:

1) the water dispencer stopped working,
    2) the water dripped all over in the freezer: it came from the icemaker
    3) one of the 2 rails that holding the ice bucket got broken and made a hole in the freezer. I can see the insulation through the hole.

My sister bought a GE and never had an issue with this. So do yourself a favor: Stay Away From LG!!!