LG / lg refrigerator model lfx25974st

Sh Feb 23, 2016

I have an LG refrigerator (LFX25974ST) purchased in January, 2013. It stopped cooling. I called the LG service number located inside the fridge [protected]). Over the phone, I was sold on the LG Premium Repair coverage and purchased the policy on January 27, 2016. After four visits from Authorized Repair services provided by LG, my refrigerator is still not working. I do feel that one of the providers fraudulently claimed to have replaced parts that were not replaced, which I will outline below. This experience has soured my family on the LG brand. I have outlined my experience below.

After purchasing the warranty, it was downhill from there. The soonest appointment with an authorized provider was 2 weeks later, which we scheduled. In the meantime, I paid, out of pocket, for another company to diagnose the issue so that I could, hopefully, speed up the repair. This outside company told me that the evaporator needed to be replaced.

The authorized provider, AV repair, came and said that it was not the evaporator. The compressor had gone bad and, as it was still under warranty, it needed to be ordered, which would take another 2 weeks. The compressor was allegedly installed by AV Repair on Tuesday, February 16. The repair, from the time the repairman walked in until the time he walked out, was slightly under 1 hour. The repairman told me that I would have ice by that evening. I placed ¼ cup of water in the freezer. By the following morning, it was not even slightly iced and we called AV Repair again to come out for the third time.

On Friday, February 19, the same repairman returned. He proceeded to take the same parts apart again. He claimed that there was sludge in the filter, which caused the problem. He cleaned it out and said, again, that I would have ice by that evening. He left within the hour. I, again, put in ¼ cup of water in the freezer. By 4:30 PM, the entire until wasn’t even slightly cool. We called AV Repair again and could not get ahold of anyone. We called LG and told them to send out a new provider.

On Monday, February 22, EZTac, the company provided by LG, came out to check on the refrigerator. After taking off the back vent and looking at the compressor, I was told that, in this repairman’s professional opinion, this compressor was never replaced. He did confirm that there was a seal system issue. However, EZTac does not do those kinds of repairs and, thus, had to decline the work. This repairman also mentioned that replacing a compressor, correctly, could not reasonably be done in under an hour.

I called LG again. I took pictures of the serial number on the compressor, which clearly shows a manufacture date of 2012. In my opinion, this constitutes fraud given that AV Repair did bill for and, supposedly, receive a brand new compressor that was certainly not installed on my unit. I explained this to LG. I have now had 4 different visits, multiple alleged diagnoses and, yet, my refrigerator does not work. After being transferred several times, I was finally speaking with someone from the United States to explain the problems I had, as well as the fraud, and I was told that my options include continuing to work with AV Repair (the company that had already proved incompetence) or to receive a refund on my warranty.

Given that my refrigerator was purchased 3 years ago and the seal system is covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, it seems absurd that I was unable to use LG’s providers to repair an LG refrigerator. We opted to request the refund for the warranty and we are going to purchase a new refrigerator. It should be noted that I never received any paperwork explaining the repair policy. I received an email receipt after payment that had a hyperlink to LG Premium Repair Coverage, but that link returns a 404 not found error.

I wish that my family could wait to work with LG to have this issue resolved properly. But, a month without a refrigerator, with a toddler and a pregnant woman, living out of coolers with ice bags is just not reasonable.