Lg Electronics Air Conditioner - Hampton Bay / poor product, useless warranty!

On May 18, 2002 I purchased a 14,000 BTU Hampton Bay window air conditioner from Home Depot. On May 15, 2007 I began having problems with the unit. According to the manual, my unit has a 5 year warranty.

I called the customer service number that was listed on the owners manual and it connected me to a person in India and the nightmare began. After quite a few phone calls, some over an hour long, they authorized service. They are disputing the warranty, and twice , have asked me to fax them a copy. First they told me that two years after I purchased the AC, they changed the warranty and another person told me it was a typing error.

It was then determined that the part needed for the repair was no longer available. However it took quite a few phone calls to get this figured out. Finally, they told me that they would have to give me a new unit.

Now the problem is: They want a copy of the receipt which is so faded that it will not be readable if I try to fax it to them. When I purchased the unit, I promptly sent in the warranty card and I still have the stub. I asked them if they could check their records because this would have the purchase date. I was told the card was for product recalls only. I hung up the phone and pulled out the stub and the first thing it says is " By completing and returning your product registration card you will receive these important benefits". First thing listed is Warranty Confirmation". So I called them back and read it to them and it didn't help at all. Finally after being on the phone with them for so long, my phone went dead.

I then went into Home Depot with all the paperwork, including the receipt and explained all of this to the manager. He is trying to help me but as of June 26, 2007, this is still unresolved.

Lisa S.

Li

Comments

• Lg
      2nd of May, 2009

I agree with the previous person who had a horrible experience with LG (Hampton Bay) air conditioners. I bought two LG air conditioner units and BOTH went bad in 13 months. Both of them lost their freon obviously do to POOR DESIGN.

I noticed LG does not warranty the problems I experienced because I am sure they KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM, but deliberately sold defective units to the consumer. This is dishonest, unethical and morally wrong. It is obvious they do not give a damn about producing and selling quality products. All they care about is screwing as many people as they can.

The LG (Hampton Bay) warranty is USELESS. It would have cost me more to get the two units fixed than it would cost to buy two more air conditioners. I will NEVER BUY ANY PRODUCT BY LG, HAMPTON BAY OR ANY OF ITS ASSOCIATED COMPANIES (RIP OFF ORGANIZATIONS).

I am tired of thugs swindling people out of their hard earned money.

I WARN EVERYONE: DO NOT BUY LG/HAMPTON BAY PRODUCTS. I bought TWO LG air conditioners and BOTH FAILED within 13 months. LG makes JUNK. LG's warranty is totally useless.

DO NOT BUY LG JUNK. THEY MAKE GARBAGE.

• Be
      30th of Jul, 2016

I have nothing but LG appliances and have not had a single issue with any of them. Maybe if you didnt wait til 3 days before the warranty expired you could have had this problem fixed, but it sounds to me that someone wants a new unit and is using the warranty to get it.

1st of Nov, 2017