Lexus Financial Lease / Fraudulent End Of Lease charges

United States, Carol Stream IL
Lexus Financial
Carol Stream IL
My Lexus Lease of 24 payments started on January 2, 2014 with maturity date of 01/02/2015. On October 15, 2014 the car was seized by the police for an undisclosed violation.
During all the time (almost two months of the clearing the case, which was vacated by the judge) I paid monthly payments for the car that was registered, financed, and used by me. I made all 24 payments in full. Finally NYPD admitted that I was an innocent owner and they agreed to return the car to me. Since the lease was a couple of the days away from its maturity date I agreed on the police’s offer to return the car directly to Lexus. Lexus was notified that they can pick up at the disclosed location on December 23, 2014. The car was in excellent condition, as verified by me right before the return, with proper mileage much less than the lease agreement allowed. It took Lexus about a month to pick up the car. It was January 23, 2015 and I was there at NYPD auto pond with my attorney at the time the Lexus repossessed the car. Right after, I called the Lexus redemption department and they told me that I might be responsible for the repossession fees ONLY since I have made all the payments.
After three months of no contact I received the letter stating that I owe Lexus almost $11, 000 due to the early termination of the lease. According to the contract, the seizure was considered as the default event, regardless of the wrongful arrest made in this case. I tried to explain that the car was seized by mistake; Judge vacated the case, but to no avail. I have since then had to hire a litigation lawyer to handle the case.
Irina Bronstein