Levitz / Fraud and stealing!

1 Middle Country RoadLake Grove, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 5164969560

I ordered a cocktail table and end table (Kraussner furniture) on 1/12 from Levitz. I canceled 1/14 within their written and verbally stated 48 hour guideline. They voided the sale but would not credit my card because they said they filed for bankruptcy - something they did not tell me when I purchased-I don't know why that is my problem anyway. The manager of the Lake Grove store said he could not return my money, just void the sale. He said to call Woodbury. After dealing with the supervisor at Woodbury on 1/13, I was told they'd credit me. I called on 1/14 when I didn't receive verification. They again said I wasn't going to get the credit to my card. After much disagreement, they said I'd get a store credit, which I did not want, and they would not send me proof. After speaking with another supervisor, I was told I would get credit and they'd call to verify. No call. So, what they did was cancel my order, but not give me my money back. Isn't that stealing?

I contacted the furniture company (Kraussner) about Levitz and they said they told Levitz that since Levitz owed them millions, they would not ship any more furniture to them. At the time I bought the furniture, Levitz knew that Kraussner would not ship. They took my order knowing they could not deliver. The furniture was apparently listed below cost to sucker people like me. Isn't that fraud?

Comments

• Sq
      27th of Sep, 2006
    Levitz - Haven't received dining room table

My wife and I bought a dinning room table set at Levitz – total cost over $1,400. They attempted the first delivery the following week.

The dining table must have been dropped, it had a huge dent on one corner – did not accept the table I’m told they would deliver a new one next week. At this point no that big a deal, they will have one to us next week.

Also, one of the no-arm-chairs had arm-chair parts and subsequently had four holes on the seat base – needs to be replaced. It is impossible to miss seeing this defect and I wonder how this chair made it on to the delivery truck let alone out of the factory. A second chair was defective – the arm and seat back were not joined correctly. They instructed me to call customer service – next available appointment 4 weeks away!

Delivery attempt #2: the table was brought in, unpacked and the delivery duo began assembling the table only to find out that there was a ‘manufactures defect’ which left them unable to put it together.

Called sales rep who sold us the set hoping he could help us out, make some calls, do something. I express my concern that after two deliveries Levitz has my money and I have no table. I express that after two deliveries and no table Levitz will take this matter seriously and do their best to solve the problem in a timely manner. He said ‘I’ll have my store manger call you back tonight’…..No call.

I call warehouse manager to see if they could get us a more timely delivery, put us on top of the list, make some calls, do something. Warehouse manager said she could not do anything for us, I ask for a delivery on Tuesday, ‘we don’t deliver on Tuesday.’ Asked for a delivery on Saturday. ‘Saturday schedule is full’. I inform warehouse manager I don’t know when I can have it delivered but will call her back once I talk to my wife to verify a time that will work.

Call sales rep next day. Ask him why store manager never called back? He says store manage was ‘busy’ and that he is ‘sorry’. I ask to talk to the manager, ‘manger is on a conference call’ I reiterate my concern and hope that this matter be taken seriously and handled in a timely manner. He tells me they have scheduled a delivery for Wednesday. I inform him that I did not schedule a delivery and my wife and I will not be home and ask why someone scheduled a delivery without bothering to ask me about it. He has no explanation. Store manager offers us a – get this - $25 gift certificate at….Levitz! First, I am never going to spend another dime at Levitz. Second, what the hell can you buy at Levitz for $25!!! This is an insane, he is essentially asking me to spend more of my money at Levitz. Never going to happen. I refuse the paltry $25 gift certificate.

I have had no dinning room table for 3 weeks, I have stayed at home during the appropriate block of time and waited for deliveries over two weekends and after many phone calls find that no one at Levitz that I have spoken to cares enough about this situation to do anything about it.

Word to the wise, never buy anything from Levitz.

• Ni
      27th of Mar, 2007
    Levitz - Boycott Levitz Furniture stores!

Our serta mattress had a ten year warranty sold to us by levitz. After two years the mattress was broken down so much that we could no longer sleep comfortably on it. After inspection by the company they agreed we should get an exchange of equal or greater value. Since this mattress was no longer made they said we had to pay the difference for the new mattress. Basically we had to come up with almost $400.00 if we wanted a new mattress or take a greatly lesser quality item.

This seems wrong since the warranty was on the item purchased not the price of the sale. At the time of purchase it was clear that we would get a new mattress of the same or better quality should it fail. Now it seems it was only a tactic to make sure we would be forced to continue to do business with them.

Buyer beware! It seems we should just buy from the cheap little private companies and the item would at least meet our expectations!

BOYCOTT LEVITZ FURNITURE STORES

31st of May, 2007
    Levitz - Rip off

Stains are gone in my dinning table and legs of eight chair and one arm is broken in one of my chair.

16th of Nov, 2007

I am the complainant. I called Levitz again today. They said I was not given the credit, but I should have been and they will credit me. I will let you know if they do.

21st of Nov, 2007

After I contacted Levitz five times, the last contact being a strong email, Levitz returned my money.

• Ph
      21st of Nov, 2007

You got a refund in November 07 from a sale in January 07? Is that right? I just ordered in late Oct. 07 and they have already delayed the delivery past Christmas, breaking their promise. Now we'll have Christmas without a couch or tables.

Beware all!

11th of Dec, 2007

My daughter ordered furniture lucky she received the couch her love seat was supposed to be delivered Jan 5th. But that will never happen, went to the store in Staten Island just to ask and the sales person almost jumped over the desk threating us with his hands screaming at us to get out. He was a manic and no she will not get her Loveseat or her Money and she is out the money for the warranty on all her furniture she bought. The salesperson at the time knew of the bankruptcy and the warranty's would not be honored and sold it to her anyway...

12th of Dec, 2007

I know this may sound mean.. i know they have people who will lose their jobs.. but I AM SO ECSTATIC THAT LEVITZ WENT BANKRUPT!!! I've been wishing for this since I bought a couch and love seat almost two years ago! Just like the rest of the complaints, they did not deliver on time and when they finally delivered, it had a broken part. They promised to REPLACE the couch... and I waited..and waited..and waited... but no sofa came... Instead, every month I was getting a mail from them that there was no sofa available - that went on for almost 12 months !!! When they stopped sending their mail, I finally called them and the operator told me that it was my fault because "I did not follow up with them." In the end, they just had someone fix the couch instead of their promised replacement. That was the first and last time I've dealt with them.

I think one reason Levitz went bankrupted is their lousy SERVICE... You lose one customer, that person can tell ten people and so on... That's what i did. Again, I don't feel guilty saying I AM SO HAPPY LEVITZ IS GONE!!!

• Ji
      27th of Feb, 2008

The employees weren't the problem. I know because I worked at Levitz in Brea. The problem was corporate. Corporate was always making demands on daily sales and yet was usually unwilling to let us sales employees wheel and deal, they were always pressuring us to sell the ### protection plans (or get fired if we didn't meet a certain quota), corporate never dealt with complaints like they should have (and left us sales reps holding the bag with no real power to get any help for our customers), and the deilvery company was always a nightmare. We didn't get paid on stuff till it was delivered and in the customer's homes, so whenever the delivery guys screwed up (and they always did), we not only didn't get paid on our sales, we also got pissed off customers coming for our blood. So if you're wondering why the employees were rude, it was because all the ### we had to put up with while working their - no one was ever on our side. Our customers were always looking for ways to get cheap furniture; maybe come up with complaints if there weren't any legit things to complain about (which was rare) to get a lower price, and our heads were always on the chopping blocks by the district managers. One of the worst jobs I've ever had.

• Ji
      27th of Feb, 2008

This sounds familiar...was this at Levitz in Brea? When I was working there, my sales partner Michael had some customers who were going through exactly what you were talking about, and it was about the time you posted.

Corporate was always cutting our balls off when it came to reimbursing customers for stuff. It annoyed the hell out of me how they would fight for every dollar and penny without considering that it was pissing the customer off. At the end of the day, corporate was the single biggest reason our sales were ###. I'm glad I got out of there.

• Cr
      30th of Jun, 2008
    Levitz - Terrible experience
    Levitz
    Bellevue
    Washington
    www.levitz.com

After dealing with Levitz with no results I wish I would have sought out the Internet before purchasing my love seat recliner. I choose Levitz since they have been around for a long time. I had no idea of all their problems. I, like everyone else purchased a piece of furniture for $819.00 along with the guardsman warranty. After having the couch for several months I noticed the seams were coming unstitched. Guardsman would not work with me since the furniture was under the 1 year warranty.

I called Levitz with no luck. Finally, I went to the Attorney General and filed a complaint, and within a few days I received a call from Levitz's New York office. I had two choices exchange the piece of furniture or bring back for a full refund. I decided for the full refund - that was a mistake. We returned the couch to the warehouse, gave them the information and they said I'd have my credit to my account with in several days. Well, that several days turned into weeks. Finally, I reached someone to help and they said it would be two days. Well, in two days Levitz officially declared bankruptcy, so no refund. I've submitted my claim to the Los Angeles address since this purchase happened before the bankruptcy. It's been almost a year now and no $$$.

Buyer beware. I've learned to be real cautious in purchasing any furniture, of course, I'm still without a couch since I haven't found what I like.

• Ly
      19th of Dec, 2009

Yeah I had bought a big entertainment center the first time and did it on a Levitz credit card. The first one I ordered, they delivered but it was cracking, cheap, built uneven, and so I called and complained, and they told me I had to come back inttooo the store and choose another one so I did. When I received it, and it's still here at my home, the doors are too low and scrape some on the bottom piece of it. There were a couple of chips in it. On top of that, the company was supposed to take off at least $300-$400 since I exchanged for a cheaper one, but they lied and said they did it when they didn't. Now Levitz is out of business and the bank is threatening to sue me because I haven't been able to pay on a $5500 bill that was originally only about $1400, but interest, then it doubled because I couldn't pay in time after losing my job, and now I'm going to school but they are basically wanting me to pay my financial funds for a bill that I should have been paying to Levitz only since they are who I signed with, but technically I didn't even get a signed copy of my contract with them. They just gave me some blank thing and put a receipt or something in it. I was told if you don't get a signed copy it's not legal. True? Something just doesn't feel right about this.

21st of Jun, 2010
    Levitz - Rip off
    Levitz

We have ordered dresser with mirror more than a month ago. Company has delivered partial set of parts so far. Even though we have called them 3 times and have visited personaly once, we still do not have answer of remaining parts. customer services is also not friendly and it has been rude lately. Please do not buy anything from this store or you will never receive parts.