Les Schwab Tire / if we don't have it you don't need it

You may not want to post is complaint. This isn't a huge complaint but it just bugs me that when a company doesn't have what you need they assume you really don't need it.

Maybe les schwab tire should change their slogan to: "if we don't have it you don't need it". I took my car into schwab tire to exchange my wheels (Already mounted) for my already mounted snow tires which were on my car. They do this at no charge which is fine if you don't mind waiting several hours while they service their "paying customers". I waited patiently and when I saw my car being pulled into the service area I walked over to watch while the work was being done. The service tech pulled off the snow tires and placed them in my trunk. This is where it got very interesting; I have a new set on michelin performance tires filled with nitrogen as specified by michelin. They even have the green tire stem caps to indicate they are filled with nitrogen. I watched in amazement as the tech (Without checking the pressure first) connected a hose and inflated the each tire beyond its rating and then use his gauge to release the pressure to the proper amount. He appeared to be using the same air line that they use for their tools. I walked out to pick up my car and I asked him, just to be sure, if he used nitrogen to adjust my tire pressure. He was polite, but is answer demonstrated what he didn't know. He said, "those tires don't need nitrogen" and walked away. Well. Yes the do! Now I get to go back where I purchased the tires and have them evacuated and refilled with the manufacture specified nitrogen. It would have been so much better if he would have said, "your tire pressure is a little low and we don't have nitrogen so do you want us to add air?"

So much for wanting to come back for any other service much less to buy a set of tires.

Va

Comments

• Ro
      3rd of Feb, 2008

Nitrogen is a sales ploy. There is no backing research that shows that nitrogen in passenger and light truck tires has any advantage or disadvantage. Sure nitrogen in high-pressure situations like a airplane tire where there are huge variations in atmospheric pressure it does what it is supposed to. But in normal "daily drive" situations nitrogen doesn't improve tire life/wear or diffusion of air pressure. Proper rotation and air-pressure maintainence is more crucial than nitrogen. And not only that but the air we breath is 70% nitrogen anyways, so another little bit isn't enough to change tire wear/inflation pressures.

3rd of Jan, 2009

I recently was having low battery issues - dim lights, longer than normal cranking. I assumed I it was my battery so I went to Les Schwab for a replacement. 45 minutes later I left with a new battery and $111.13 less in my wallet.

I had no issues with this new battery until this morning. I went to start my car and the battery was completely dead. I used my roommates car to jump it and it started fine. I had no problems driving to work. Later this morning I went to start the car again and the battery was completely dead again.

I called the store I purchased the battery from and informed him (Jeremy) of my dilemma. He advised me to bring in the car and they would take a look at it. I had no way to jump start the car and asked if he would provide that service, seeing that the battery was under warranty. He said he would have to charge me a service call to provide that service. When I told him that my company has a service contract with Les Schwab to maintain our fleet tires and we have nearly 150 trucks he complained that I should have told him that first.

After hanging up in disgust, to think that different customers get different levels of service, I went out to the car and was going to remove the battery to take to another store. I found the main terminal of the battery heavily corroded. This did not make sense to me since I just had the new battery installed two weeks prior. Now I wonder if the original battery I replaced was fine and Les Schwab sold me a battery when I didn't really need one. The other question I have is why did they not clean the terminal when installing the battery? Would that have been an additional charge?

After I cleaned the post the car started fine. This is not the first problem I have had with Les Schwab. I have had issues with their brake service and their tire replacement (not aligning the car and causing the tires to go bald in less than a year). Rest assured this will be the last time I use this company and will strongly urge my company to find another service vender.

• Ls
      25th of Aug, 2009

nitrogen is useless in tires unless you are a racecar driver. Other tire dealers use nitrogen as just a sales ploy. Regular air is 78% nitrogen anyways. Save your money and just use air.

• Li
      15th of Sep, 2009

First of all i have to comment that nitrogen is useless.
    My first question is what made you think that he inflated your tires far beyond there maximum pressure?
    I have two main points for this.
    1. A tire has a maximum "cold" tire pressure. A tire, set to the max ex. an E rated towing tire set for the rated 80lbs of pressure will heat up and build well over 80 pounds during operation and use. tires heat up the air in the tires heat up the pressure increases. so if he overinflated your tires its highly unlikely any damage was done. Every vehicle since sometime in the 70's i believe has a tag on the inside of the drivers side door jam that has a specific recommended pressure for that specific vehicle. this is because every vehicle is balanced front to rear diffrently and this recommendaion is based on that and the weight of the vehicle.

2. At my store, as soon as you get paperwork it goes on a board and your vehicle is in line regardless of the work being done. except brakes and alignment work that depends on work and available space and location. So i am not sure that i believe other work was bumped in front of your vehicle. average wait times on a busy day are an our and a half.

9th of Dec, 2012

I recently went to the lake Oswego location to have my tires rotated. They looked at my car for 2 minutes and came back to me with a laundry list of crap! First off, I work in a body shop, but being it was the weekend and schwab's does it for free!!! I was down. He gave me a quote of over a thousand bucks! I went with his bull ###. Apparently my breaks and struts were bad and needed to be completely removed and swapped out with KYB's... Why not monrow, it's still less than OEM parts but still has a decent life expectency! Well apparently they need to use the most extreme and expensive parts to have that 3 year warranty!!! That and to change a break pad, they need to remove everything and replace it all!!! If your in this area and this happens to you! Go see joe at save on tires! He fixed my car for 150 bucks!!! Joe in the past did an engine swap for less than half of what less Schwab just charged me to fix my break pads!!!

• Ca
      22nd of Aug, 2015

I went to change my tire because I got a flat tire. The guy that works there Travis in the Martinez Les Schwab told me that I had to get the two front tires because they were worn out already and that I needed alignment. He stated a couple times that if I did not get alignment my tires would get worn off again. Thankfully I did not get the alignment done right away because I was in a rush. When I come back hours later to do the alignment who ever was checking my car ( a different person) called me at my cell phone and told me that my car DID NOT need alignment and that everything looked perfect. I was waiting inside but I guess the guy that was checking my car did not know that. When I heard that my car did not need the alignment I was so mad and upset. And still Travis came up to me and told me "Your car is almost ready he will be bringing your car keys soon. If you want you can pay now." That got me even more upset. and I just told him no I just spoke with the man who was checking my car and he said that my car does not need any alignment. Travis is the same man who almost killed my friend for not checking all the tires from the car he was working on for going to his lunch on time. I really trusted Les Schwab Tires but after these situations I don't think I will ever go back. I use to recommend people to go there but I can see it was a mistake.

• Tj
      11th of Jan, 2016

Have been a Les Schwab customer for 40 years. Today I went in to have my winter tires mounted on my Dodge truck. It is lifted 6 inches and we run 37 in Toyos. We had airbags installed last year. The set of tires that we had installed are different than our normal ones but we have been running them for several years, but not since the airbag installment. Drove 6 miles home and then we got out to the smell of burning rubber. The tires were jammed against the airbags. The airbag bracket cut a 1/8 inch groove in the tire side wall, and, wrecked the airbag. We had recently purchased New toyos from Les Schwab.We were told by the manager, Tad Brown at the Toledo Oregon shop, too bad not our fault. So we are out a tire and an airbag. They told us the tire was still ok to run which is not true and is not safe. Over the years we have paid the extra money to shop at Schwab because of professional reputation. They should have noticed the problem during the tire remount. We are now looking for a new tire shop to give our business too. Wish Les was still alive this would not be happening.

• Ga
      5th of Oct, 2018

West valley Utah, les Schwab. Should change it's logo, to nickel and dime you to death.