LensCrafters / just ripped off!

1 Voorhees, NJ, United States Review updated:

Had an eye exam at lenscrafters and while my eye were dialated ordered glasses and couldn't see the screen the woman ordering my glasses was typing on. She told be they were 495. and with my insurance what a great deal at $216. what - the sign says free lenses with any pair 169.95 and up. she said they usually use scotchguard and explained what it did. I thought they were included since she didn't explain any cost. Just tacked on an extra $125, and $65. for feather weights neither of which I was told were extra. When I got home there was 2 extra charges added on. I called up and said take them off. Before I left they folded up the receipt stuck it in an envelope and never showed it to me. So glad I didn't wait for them, I will never go back so glad I asked for a copy of my script before she confiscated it. I will never go back to them.

De

Comments

• Tr
      12th of Sep, 2008

I had the same thing happen. Basically they wanted to charge me $615 for single vision glasses. The frames were $169+tax and the lens were $400+tax. What a complete rip off!! I've been to other eye centers and lens were only $70. No wonder they do not list the price of their lens online.

17th of Feb, 2009

Lens Crafters is the worst ever. My finace bought me a pair as a gift and he was trying to do something nice as I had a new eye exam done and it was laying around while I was home he went to pick up a frame a it was just a colour that I hate and I travel alot with my job and when I finally gott hem and went to Lens Crafters to explian what thei ssue was they gave me no time of day. I have been fighting with them for months now about my glasses and i have even went to Lauier Optical out of anger to se what kind of frames they might have and have explianed my situation to them and they could not believe it. They told me about thier 30 day policy and then I told them i was a way on business leave and I went back to the store everything was still in the case and in the bag. BRAND NEW. once they have thier money they just dont give a Sh**. what the hell ever happend to customer care????? this is not right I have glasses that I dont wear I am NOT satisfied what so ever and because they alreday got paid they dont care?????

19th of May, 2009

Why would anyone be so dumb not to pick out their own frames ?
    What was be thinking ?

I am sure they told him it was not a good idea
    So why should they redo them for a error on his part ?

Kinds confused on your issue
    Also that other company ? What did they end up doing for u ?

• Su
      9th of Jun, 2009

I am sorry I am LMAO! Who would pick out a piar of glasses when they can't see and then sign something they don't understand and cannot see! And Anik it was dumb of yu not to pick out your own frames that is your fault not LensCrafters. Also Sam's and Costco do not have the same quality as LensCrafters or even the same customer service or warrenties.

• Me
      21st of Jul, 2009

Yeah, I ALWAYS pay more for something and them complain when I get home instead of asking for clarification prior to paying. It's your own fault. And why wouldn't you think the features the salesperson was talking about would be extra? ASK what you're paying more for.

• Pa
      21st of Jul, 2009

This one is in regards to NonnieMouse. Although that was Denise's fault for not asking any questions.

But for NonnieMouse. You really don't know what you're talking about. Scotchguard in the optical world is a teflon coating. When water gets on your lenses it doesn't run, it simply beads up so that it doesn't streak. It simply has the Scotchguard name because it's the same principle. And polycarbonate lenses are a different plastic classification than just normal plastic. They're actually more susceptible to scratching, which is where the scratch resistant coating comes into play. But the lenses themselves are far more durable and impact resistant than regular plastic lenses. Featherweights is simply the brand name for polycarbonate lenses.

So, with that said. She was probably saying, Featherweight lenses with anti-reflective and Scotchguard coatings on them. I say AR -and- Scotchguard because you can only get AR by itself.

• Si
      21st of Sep, 2009

From an independent eye doc... You get what you pay for.

The best lenses are not offered by the warehouses or the discounters or even the big chains. The reason- they can't mark them up 4 times, therefore, the margins are not high enough. The equipment to produce them is too expensive, and since most big companies have already invested in their own labs that use old technology, they will not recommend or even offer the best quality.

I am primarily talking about progressive lenses- the best out there have the magnification area cut into the back of the lens. This is called free form design. This technology also produces the highest quality single vision lenses, but is overkill for most prescriptions. That is, unless you want a high wrap curve lens in a sunglass or you have a high prescription or astigmatism.

Polycarbonate featherweights have the highest distortion of any lens material, although it is impact resistant. The distortion is awful for most people in my opinion. Trivex is a good alternative which is a type of poly with better optics. Drill mount or groove mount glasses require trivex, poly or high index to resist chipping, cracking, etc...

Anyway, this is a very complex field- what it comes down to is you should find someone you trust. From experience most private offices will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase. Usually they are no more expensive then a Pearle or Lenscrafters and have superior service and higher skilled opticians... But of course I am biased.

Oh, at my office I can do Poly Transition Grey Crizal Alize non glare with 2 year warranty for about $270 complete even if you don't buy your frame from me. Last I checked Walmart was $190 for an inferior product and 90 day warranty. Lenscrafters is always more for an inferior product. Do you think all those sale ads and mall rent are cheap?

• Sm
      21st of Oct, 2009

I got transition lenses two mo. ago and they have these permanent sreak marks on them. Nobody can tell me why but this is not normal.

• Gr
      3rd of Feb, 2010

I went to Lenscrafters for glasses and got the progressives. I cannot see out of t hem - can't read, see tv, computer, etc. Went back three times, and was told each time that I just had to get use to the progressive lens. Had a new eye exam and was told they would make them stronger on the bottom so I could read, but lady out front said I didn't need stronger. She gave me something to read and it was all a blur, so she said I just wasn't use to the progressive lens. One associate told me to get a pair of "cheaters" for reading. Never again...

• Un
      19th of May, 2011

Lenscrafters advertises 'one hour or less' I understand that not everyone qualifies for that. I was told by the employee the helped me place my order that it would be 10 days, but usually less, to receive my glasses. After 10 days I called to check the status of my glasses. I was then told be the woman on the phone that it could take as much as 14 business days. There is a enormous difference between the original quote of 10 days to the second quote of 14 BUSINESS days. I didn't take that long to cash my $330.00 check though.

• Al
      18th of Nov, 2016

I wish I'd read this prior to going in and having the same thing done to me yesterday. They are a huge ripoff, never again!