LensCrafters / pressured sales

I have used Lenscrafters since the early 90s. The last 3 times I have wanted to use my old glasses. The first pair they said they could not put new lenses in made sense to me. They said the bottom of the lens were held in by fishing line and it was too stretched. OK, they got the sale of new frames they informed me would be able to be used for another pair of lenses. When I returned to have the lens replaced, they gave some reason as to why it could not happen & I bit again. That time I got full plastic frames & again was assured they could put new lenses in them Yesterday I went to the Arrowhead Mall in Glendale AZ and was told if they were over two years old, they could break and so lens could not be replaced. I walked out-goodbye Lenscrafters.

Va

Comments

• Mi
      17th of Jul, 2008

I totally agree. I had the same issue and since my job had vision insurance I elected to go to lenscrafters to get my discount and keep my frames, just replace my lens. The lady was a slick saleswoman as she told me the same story, touched and bent my glasses saying they could break easily (like lenscrafters' frames are unbreakable) and that if they broke they couldn't do anything via warrenty. Ok, but I almost got suckered in but stood my ground and said they'd be fine. She told me, "of course you want this and that" which I had no idea what she added on and my bill was OUTRAGEOUS!!! It would have been cheaper for me to go to a Walmart eye store, get an exam, buy new frames, and get protective layers on the lenses WITHOUT insurance! Last time Lenscrafters! You won't see another dollar from me...ever!

-also Arrowhead mall.

• Da
      2nd of Sep, 2008

I've bought numerous sets of eye glasses at Lenscrafters and they told me I had to get new frames each time. Went to Kaiser today to order glasses for my wife. Said using the old frames was NO PROBLEM. Lenscrafters rips people off. I always hated dealing with them. Have had two pairs of glasses where one of the lenses has popped off on each. One time a guy was trying to adjust the nose things on a pair and he snapped one of them off. I really hate dealing with Lenscrafters..never ever again!!!

• Si
      25th of May, 2009

Customers always get bent out of shape and our conversations are always taken out of context. Please let me elaborate on re-using "Customers Own Frames" ::

Sometimes, especially if its a plastic frame, frames can dry out. With metal frames barrels can become deformed and the shapes can become un-symetrical. With this in mind that is why we say that we might not be able to re-use frames or we cannot re-use it. It ultimatley is up to the Lab Manager or Lead Tech.

Lab employee's and Lab manager's are well trained to handle a variety of Customer's Own Frames (cof's) but if the production of the Eyewear and Quality of Eyewear might be hindered wemay default with not re-using the patients eyewear.

• Ca
      26th of May, 2009

So, how can you explain Lenscrafters refusal to re-use "Memory Titanium" frames? Maybe the Titanium sagged or got brittle? Maybe it "forgot"?

The answer that Lenscrafters gave me was that my frames were over two years old, and they don't make that lens shape anymore. This is of course just more Lenscrafter's ###. There are standard lens blanks that can be shaped for any frame. It does take the right tools and training - which perhaps Lenscrafters is too cheap to set up.

But there are plenty of other companies that will fill that void for Lenscrafters. A simple Google search gives half a million results for "eyeglass lens replacement".

The last two times I went to Lenscrafters I was jerked around. But hey, you know, maybe it was the customer's fault. My apologies for being a poor customer and demanding satisfaction and quality. I'll get out of your hair and go elsewhere. You win.

• Si
      27th of May, 2009

You "memory titanium" could have been denied do to many factors: Barrels mishaped so that we couldnt get a good trace, If that lab said they dont carry that shape it could have been because they dont care that pattern...Some Edgers require a pattern to cut a specific shape..there are other factors and i dont have the glasses in front of me so i cant make a proper diagnosis.

As for Quality Excellence Minded, you sir, are wrong. There is a very very stingent Process for training that is followed. Every lab associate goes there rigirious testing in Quailty Manufaturing, troubleshooting and maintance ton ensure Quality is to the Highest level of servie that it can be.

But agian, do to ignorance of not knowing that trade does not give you the right to call our answers "###", merely because you are not educated in Lens Manufactoring.

Your prolley the guy that tells his mechanic that hes doing brakes wrong...

Just because we dont give you the answer YOU want us to, doesnt mean its wrong. Lab employees are trained for Production of Eyewear and Quality of Eyewear. That IS OUR PRIMARY FOCUS!! We dont care if we have to re-use frames, but of quality is hindered at all in the process we will definelty not use the frame because that would create a not so pleaseant Customer Experience if something were to happen to the frame itself during production.

kk,
    Have a nice day :)

• Ha
      1st of Jun, 2009

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE POLICY OF A LOCAL STORE THEN DO THEM A FAVOR AND JUST GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Lenscrafters is a runaway number one in the industry. Are the MILLIONS of satisfied customers wrong, or are you. It's simple.

• Su
      9th of Jun, 2009

How long do you expect frames to last? The vendors only make frames that last for 1-2 years depending on how you treat them. As for the customer service-how would you feel if your frame did break while the lab was handling it? Should the store provide a new frame because you whined and complained about not being able to use your own frame? Or how about if the frame broke three months from purchase date? And you had to make a complete new purchase? That's like buying two pairs of glasses in three or so months! What kind of customer service would that be? How happy ould you feel about that? Besides why would you want to put nice new lenses in a crusty old frame???

• Li
      26th of Jul, 2009

There's no doubt an incentive for a sales associate to push for a customer to buy new frames. However, it's been my experience that lab technicians will use a customer's frame as long as it's in good condition. It doesn't make sense for a company to lose a sale entirely rather than just bite the bullet for a lenses only sale. If your glasses were rejected, it was most likely for good reason. A doctor's office might view it differently because, for one, they know they'll gain your business if they stick it to LC, and two, because their warranty is probably different. I'd also like to point out that quality standards change over time. What might have been acceptable to try in the past might not be acceptable now through company and federal standards. With research, you learn that putting certain prescriptions in certain lenses and frames isn't safe or reliable. I think the biggest problem with your situation is that the sales associates didn't explain their reasons well enough to meet your satisfaction. They lost you as a customer, and that's unfortunate.

• He
      20th of Oct, 2009

Example:
    Frame 199.95
    Lenses 215.00 (Premium Plastic Multifocal progressive)
    50% off on lense with purchase of frame - 107.50
    Total 207.45
    Lenses only 215
    15% discount for AAA or AARP(partial pair), out of network, etc.
    Total 182.75
    You big winner!!! You saved 25.70 AND got to use you old beat up frame
    You should have spent the 25.70 and kept your old pair as a back up, that would be intelligent though!

2nd example:
    Frame 159.95
    Lenses 585.00 (HighIndex AVP progressive with AR and Scotchgard)
    -292.50
    Total 454.45
    Lense only 585
    30% discount for crying about the price to a sympathetic manager -175.50
    Total 409.50
    Again great value shopper!!! [censored]

last example
    Frame 99.95
    Lenses 325 (Single vision AR with Scothgard)
    Total 262.45 with 50% off lenses
    Lenses only 325
    15% lenses only discount-48.75
    Total 276.25
    OOOOHHHhhhh... You lose tightass it is cheaper to get a brnad new frame

• Ey
      14th of Aug, 2010

Lenscrafters is kidding themselves if they think their staff is so well trained. If they had the skills and knowledge, they would be working in a private practice for more money and better hours.
    And telling you they cant re-use the frames because of the wire is a joke. They obviously did not know how to restring the glasses. Any 'trained' optician should easily be able to do that.

• Dp
      29th of Nov, 2010

It's very easy to re-string glasses...as for the quality of the frame it is up to the lab manager (or if it's an optique, like where I work, it's up to the associate). If I see that your frames look like a small gust of wind is going to take off a temple, I'm not going to tell you that this will be a good idea. We'd be taking on the liability of something very easily breaking while we manufacture if and where is that going to leave us? Having to replace your frame...As for cost, HellBent explained it better than anyone else. It DOES actually save you money to replace your frame sometimes, as there are only a few discounts that we can give to people who purchase lens only. We have damn good clearance sales right now and I've seen people get new glasses for half the cost of just getting lenses (I got a new pair of sunglasses for 130 dollars). That's up to you if you would like to waste money at that point...

• Ce
      16th of Mar, 2012

Eyegirl, I work as a certified optician for LensCrafters. After a few years of working there, some things we have to do started to bring my morale down, so I put my resume in to private practices and had several job offers. Sad part was, none of them offered me better compensation than I was getting at LC. They did not offer me anything close to what I was being paid at LensCrafters, their "discount" on glasses wasn't anywhere near what I get at LensCrafters (at LC we get a free pair every year for us or our spouse/eligible dependents to use for glasses in addition to half-off anything else but Maui Jim), and though some even offered to pay part of my medical premiums from the company of their choice, I could still buy my own insurance cheaper than that. This was from a couple small-practice optometrists as well as large facility ophthalmologists. Not every place can pay better than LC, probably because of the fact it's a corporation. I am still employed at LC because of this.

• Cu
      19th of Jun, 2012

Wow. I was trying to decide whether or not to go to LensCrafters, and this post was very helpful. The responses defending LensCrafters all appear to be employees. Your responses are rude. You actually call your customers "tightass" and "[censored]"? Seriously? If this is what I can expect when I go to the store I think I'll pass. You can't spell (even with a spell check button right below the comment box!) or capitalize, and your grammar is atrocious. You may be "trained for Production of Eyewear and Quality of Eyewear (sic)", but I hope it holds up better than your middle school training. I have a pair of titanium frames that I love, and have been using for about 8 years. They are still as solid as the day I bought them. I also have a pair of "standard" metal frame sunglasses that are about the same age. Both have had new lenses fitted a couple of times. Oddly enough, neither of them are the slightest bit "crusty" either. You should all do LensCrafters a huge favor and just STFU.