legal zoom .com / ineffective will

1 7083 hollywood blvdLos Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 323 962 8600

I lost over $140, 000 because I had a will made out by legal zoom.
I was the sole beneficuary in the will but because all the assets were in bank accounts and cd's etc I received nothing.
No mention or question from legalzoom asking about this . NO MENTION of how this works!
I believe any attorney would cover this, if not they should not be in law.
I would never again trust any on line legal firm to prepare papers for me!
A VERY expensive education !

Comments

1st of Dec, 2008

how else woul cash be held? if not in bank accts, cds, and assets? i am confused by the statement as i am deciding whether to use legal zoom for my own will

• Hg
      14th of Feb, 2009

I'm not a lawyer so I save all the lawyers the waste of time responding. A will is for the benefit of others. If you made outa will, when you die the those listed in the will scheduled in the will get the assets; you don't ! So how could you loose any money? Did you die and come back to life as a different person? Duh!

• Ji
      1st of Mar, 2009

I disagree because legalzoom is a document prepparation company and if they do not want to get in trouble they will not being giving you legal advice. Maggy Ross is correct, that's where money is kept, but money in accounts that have a co-signer on the account passes to the co-signer without the need of a will. You were not the co-signer I presume.

I also assume you mean you paid for a will for your mom or dad correct?

If you would have done 1 hour of studying on the web you could have easily avoided your loss by setting up a trust instead and making sure it was fully funded by re titling all your parents assets into the name of the trust.

Jim Stiner
    www.WriteATrust.com

• Ac
      21st of Aug, 2009

Yes you are right, legalzoom is not authorized to give advice, that can result in a huge lawsuit! However the bigger problem with legal zoom is their time of delivery! Even when you purchase their most expensive package, it still takes a couple of weeks to deliver. I found using BusinessRocket.net is much better. My friend and i just registered a corporation through them and we got it all done in under 3 business days only paying something like $350 bucks!!! I believe before you use any of these online "self-help" services, make sure you call them to speak to a representative, that will give you a good idea of how your order will be delivered. I do not ever order anything without calling a company first!!!

• Je
      17th of Sep, 2009

Thanks Acaudio25, just finished my corporation process through BusinessRocket.net and they are great!

• De
      8th of Dec, 2009

I put together a Will and Statement of Interment so far with Legal Zoom, and will soon creatae my Living Will, all in good time, and with no hitches. I guess the only way to find out if all is well is if I come back after I die to see for myself.

• Go
      8th of Jan, 2010

BusinessRocket.net does not do wills!!! Or do they? I think they only specialize in doing Business Formation and other business services.

• Ge
      19th of Jan, 2010

How does one make out a will with themselves as the beneficiary? This complaint comment makes no sense. For others, if you want to avoid putting your beneficiaries through the long-winded and expensive probate process, create a revocable trust.

• Ge
      19th of Jan, 2010

Also, if the bank accounts or CD's were in the name of another party, and not the person for whom the will is for, it is their property; not the property of the beneficiary. It would go to the individual or corporation that owns the asset unless other stipulations concerning ownership were made. It pays to do your homework.

• Sm
      15th of Feb, 2010

I called and ordered a Living Will and Last will. In it they said just take to your bank and get it noterized.
    When I did this the bank wouldn't do it! They said legally theu couldn't anymore in case someone contests it.
    I called LegalZoom and they said even if it's not noterized it is still a legal document and therefore will stand up in the state I live in (Illinois)

I hope they are right, cause I can't afford a lawyer right now in this economy. And my ex took me for pretty much everything anyway!

• Dm
      18th of Feb, 2010

I used Legalzoom to set up my LLC after I lost my job. The price was right and everything was complete in a timely manner. I was very happy with them and will most likely use them for my Will.

• Lo
      16th of Mar, 2010

i just register my business with legal zoom ok honestly i did take a peak over at the site called i think
    businessrocket.net ok was just a TAD BIT cheaper i am however, happy Robert Shapiro i hear own it, prettie astute legal genius! in my opinion i follow his career for decades.
    i knwo this much leg zoom do save me i was shock attorney wanna register biz for almost seven hundred buccks but legal zoooom barely 175 with tax i understand this as state registry fee associate. i appreicate the upfront honesty and additional service if i need it.

i do wanna say this much i feel so much better i can now create a sliding scale for my typing business. it is not a hOME buSiness since i am always on the road creating documentation(s)for people who need my service ya know from i can be in a cafe in new york here or new jersey or any place park car etc. school etc so i am not a legal home base business but online virtucal business have website pullin in much customers who need my typing service. i am just really happy to help so many save on who cannot afford in this tough economy attorney etc. ya kjonw., and they register my business without any issue i appreciate the help so fast within barely one week so i guess somewhere there is like this poster above 1 or 2 disgruntle people as i will use legal zoom again when not if but WHEN i regiser another business i cant believe how great it it is working for self making good cash off it every other week more than being at any "regular job" all the while helping other families too.good night.thanks again for making me a legal register business legal zoom. i like the name SOLE PROPRIETOR yes! i like that alot.such clout as life too short working past mid to late twenties and age 30 40 et. for other people no way. i love this.

• Al
      24th of Mar, 2010

You have got to be kidding that you have a typing business! For Pete's sake, learn to SPELL, LEARN PUNCTUATION, LEARN TO CAPITALIZE AND LEARN WHICH TENSE OF A VERB TO USE because if I were thinking of using you and your business after reading your comments, I would not as your comment letter was sloppy, poorly worded and profoundly unprofessional. Not everyone has been corrupted by the ubiquity of texting and having a business that is involved with written communication, your skills in this area should be impeccable.

• Sp
      12th of Apr, 2010

I agree, A Lewis. The previous post from ilovemyownbizness is so incredibly horrible, it has to be a hoax. I think my 14 month old can spell better. He certainly can put together a sentence better. ilovemyownbizness should reconsider his bizness. wow.

14th of Apr, 2010

I am the person that lost the $140000 as a result of using legalzoom. Some misread what I was saying. My friend was in a hospital dying, had no will and requested me to have one made out for her and was leaving me $140, 000. On legalzoom form, no questions about where and how assets are held! That should be #1. Every person I questioned [lay people] thought that when someone leaves EVERYTHING to a person named in the will as SOLE beneficiary, that person GETS everything. Thanks to Mr Robert Shapiro and his incompetent legal zoom I lost out on everything. Those that used legal and were satisfied, I am happy for you. You were VERY LUCKY!

14th of Apr, 2010

PS I am hoping for a nation wide class action suit to be waged against this firm. I know there is such an undertaking for California and Oregon in the process now. I would strongly suggest that anyone using such firms pay a real lawyer for 30 - 60 minutes of their time to look over your completed will to be safe.

• Pa
      18th of Apr, 2010

Well, the reason why you did not get the money in the bank account is because the CD and Savings and/or Checking account probably had a beneficiary assigned to it already. Since your friend was in the hospital, the only way to have gotten your hands on the cash is by changing the beneficiary listed on the account with the financial institution (he/she would've have to go into the bank in person and just change the name).

These accounts are called Payable on Death. Wills are used for typically used for NON-PAYABLE ON DEATH assets such as real estate or personal property (i.e. a diamond ring). However, you can use a will for a Payable on Death account as long as you don't have contradicting instructions (i.e. The bank has the beneficiary as John, but the will has the beneficiary as Robert...because the banks instructions will supersede the will)

Most people think a will will supersede all other instructions, however, the answer is both Yes and No. It will probably supersede another will, provided that there is a revocation of all prior wills and codicil clause, but it does not trump P.O.D. Accounts and real estate in which the property is held in a right of survivorship form.

So for all you guys thinking that a Last Will and Testament will distribute all of your assets according to it's instructions...it won't unless you properly plan for it.

A will is merely instructions for the probate court. It gives the court guidance on how the decedents property is to be transferred. A more effective estate planning tool is the Living Trust. This actually avoids the whole probate process and can save your beneficiaries unnecessary court fees and attorney fees.

To the Original Poster, I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate events, but this is why you didn't get the assets. BTW, I am not an attorney (just a paralegal who loves to research) and please do not take the above-described information as legal advice.

10th of Jun, 2010

These online document creation services are all being sued for illegally practicing law, and so far the companies have been losing. I suspect that any document created by them will be able to be successfully challenged as being invalid.

Even if legal zoom and its products are held to be legal in court, they cannot legally give you advice. In the case of Wills, if there is one single thing that isn't done correctly according to the law of your state, then it's not a Will. Anyone can challenge it and it will be struck down, and your assets will pass according to the scheme that your state government has set up. That is something that almost nobody wants to happen, which is why they make a Will in the first place.

For most people they can get a quality Will made for 4-500 dollars, depending on where you live. It may sound expensive now, but the problems that arise for making a Will that is invalid are much more expensive than that to the ones you love.

• Nj
      17th of Jun, 2010

The statement by the original poster doesn't make sense. I assume the will was created on behalf of someone else with the poster as the beneficiary. Anyone creating a will must keep in mind that any asset, that has a pre-assigned beneficiary is the rightful ownership of the asset in the event the original asset holder dies. A will does not circumvent beneficiaries, it assigns ownership of assets that do not have a beneficiary. It also circumvents the standard laws of descent and distribution that determine ownership of assets in the event someone dies without a will.

• De
      5th of Jul, 2010

My mother-in-law used this service to make out a simple will for the little bit of property she had (house in Ohio, jewelry and less than $2, 000). After she completed the forms, my husband drove her to the bank and had the form notorized. When she passed away, we had to go through probate at a cost of $2, 000 of our money (her money was used for funeral expenses), because the will was worthless in the eyes of the courts. When the probate lawyer we hired saw the will, he actually laughed out loud. She saved about $250 using this online service, and it cost us $2, 0000. BEWARE OF USING THIS SERVICE!