Legal Recoveries / They try to sue me!

1 Prospect, KY, United States Review updated:

Legal Recoveries hired a law firm to sue me, claiming I owe Legal Recoveries money. To my knowledge I have never had an account with them. I say this because I do have old debts and I have paid most of them. This company may have contacted me on behalf of Citibank. That debt is 7 yrs old. If I started paying them on behalf of Citibank I know that restarts the statute of limitations. The only problem is I have no knowledge and they wont provide proof. It seems by law they don't have to because I didn't contact them within 30 days. I don't know if that is exactly correct or not. They said the same thing to me as they did John--- I owe plus interest at the rate 8.000% per annum from August 1 2002 until date of judgment then 12.000% per annum thereafter until paid and reasonable attorneys fees and court costs. They have recently entered a plantiff's motion for summary judgment, so I have to go to court on Jan 16 of 2008. I am going to file an answer and say the statute of limitations has expired. If anyone can help me or if a lawyer has advice for me please respond to this post. The person who posted before me, how did your case go? If I do go to court and I have to pay and they don't provide an actual copy of my signed application I want to pursue legal action. Also I would like to fight to amend the Fair Debt Collection Act so that a consumer has more than 30 days to request a signed document. I think its unfair and unjust. Most people that are in cases like this, don't fully know their rights and can't afford representation!

Va

Comments

Ly
  15th of Dec, 2007

Unfortunatly, creditors sell debts to collections agencies to get some sort of restitution, the collection agencys get screwed just like we do, they buy the debts alot of the times not knowing the debt was paid off or wiped clean in bankruptcy, I had collection agency come after me for a debt that was settled... They are a big pain in the ###, they get screwed by buying a bad debt and we are the ones who suffer the consequences.