Legacy Resorts / Awful company

We received a postcard from Epic Marketing inviting us to attend a travel seminar given by Legacy Resorts. We called and were told we'd get 2 tickets for roundtrip travel in the continental US plus 3 days in a hotel just for attending the seminar even if we didn't buy their travel package. We would have to pay $140 for taxes/fees for the "free" tickets, etc. We paid via Paypal to Celebrity Productions, and got nothing but some slick brochures from PTS Travel and VIP Travel Reservations, Inc., with requests for another $180. Total SCAM! And Paypal won't even refund our $140 because "It was not an eBay transaction." Epic Marketing even had the nerve to call us later and ask us to recruit 5 friends for the same deal - and we would get a "free" digital camera! Don't fall for this SCAM, and also be aware that they use many different company names.

An

Comments

• Ni
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I've went to many presentations just for the gifts, I've used VIP Travel several times and they're absolutly legit, but me nor any of my friends or family have EVER had to pay for our certificates!!! Yes VIP Travel does require a deposit with the activation form but it says right on their certificates that its not for sale! You need to go back to this Celebrity Productions or Legacy Resorts you mentioned, they're the ones scamming you, you should never have to pay to get an activation form that already requires a deposit. Sounds to me you were charged $140 for 2 $.44 stamps. Good Luck to ya!

2nd of Dec, 2010

I just saw this, and I can assure you while I can speak for no other company, we, VIP Travel, have stopped allowing certificate from Celebrity, as our certificates are never intended for sale. I do apologize for the troubles you experienced, but they were not on account of VIP. I do hope you took Nigel's (above) advise and pursued getting your money back as, yes, our certificates do say right on them that they are not for sale.

11th of Dec, 2010

Hi Kim
    It's nice to have a contact to respond to questions before we commit money in addition to the time we already invested. We have "certificates" for "free" airline tickets and a Celebrity cruise, advertised as " Gift #4: Cruise: Two adults over 21. Seven day cruise with air". The language is identical to that quoted by Greg above.
    There are important questions before we part with the $174 in "refundable deposit":
    1. How much will we have to pay to get this "gift"? How much is the "reservation processing fee" for both cruise and airline? $5 or $5, 000?
    2. What are the "surcharges"? Who imposes them?
    3. "We can not guarantee that you can combine this certificate (airline) with your cruise certificate". How is that a "7 day cruise with air"? Under what conditions might the certificates not be combinable? How often does that happen?
    4. Under what conditions are the deposits refundable? What is the process for getting a refund?
    5. "Certain departure ports such as New York, Baltimore, Seattle, ..." will incur an additional surcharge. What is the full list of surchargable ports? How much are the surcharges?
    6. The certificates must be mailed (airline) "no later than 21 days from the Sponsor's issue date" (blank on the form) and (cruise) "within 21 days of the registration date shown on your registration form". What is the registration form? Again, there is no date under "issue date". Does the date refer to the date of the time share presentation? Hardly, because the first sheet selecting the gift had to be mailed with 30 days of attending the presentation. This is material because the certificates have a limited time period for which they are valid. The cruise is only good for September to December months, and we don't want to preclude traveling in any part of December 2011 by sending in the certificate before the end of December 2010.
    7. There is no indication that the air tickets associated with the "seven day cruise with air" are round trip. Are they one way or round trip?
    It seems that VIP Travel would have a much better name if you posted the answers to these and other questions on a traceable web site of your own. In the meantime, I look forward to your response here.
    Many thanks!

11th of Dec, 2010

(Sorry about that last post - don't know what happened to the format!)
    Hi Kim
    2. What are the "surcharges"? Who imposes them?
    4. Under what conditions are the deposits refundable? How about if the cruise and air don’t match? If you can’t get a date that works for us or if the only option offered is to fly at 2am? What is the process for getting a refund?
    Many thanks!

20th of Dec, 2010

ok, RayC1, your questions are very specific and as we have many variations of them please note the answers here are general and may have nothing to do with your certificates.
    1. the reservations processing fee is GENERALLY air: $35 per person and cruise $49 per perpson
    2. surcharges can be charged by the airport, by the airline and I have no idea how much they are in advance, or can be for holidays and peak season surcharges which can run $10 - 75 per person.
    3. We don't offer it as a "cruise with air" these certificates are purchased completely separate and are not guaranteed to be used together. We do actively try and coordinate them for people requesting that and it is an option (based on the cert) and it would be based on availability.
    4. You can request a refund at any time up until something has been booked and confirmed, unless otherwise state, again not sure what you have some of our offers have a processing fee if you cancel with out traveling in which case you would receive a portion of it back.
    5. Whatever is listed on the certificate is the complete list of ports. We can not quote that amount in advance, it is whatever the difference is in the published rates for a general port and those ports.
    6. The issue date is one of the most important pieces of information on the certificate and normally correlates to the presentation date and was to be filled out by the sponsor. It does sound to me like your certificate would be expired.
    7. All of our air certificates are round trip.
    Most of all these questions are on the FAQ page of our website which, when I search VIP Travel Reservations, always comes up the very first one, but is www.viptravelreservations.net. Keep in mind there the answers I gave you and the answers you may find there are general as there are too many variations of our certificates with out knowing exactly what you have.

• Lo
      21st of Dec, 2010

I didn't have to do anything through pay pal nor do i know who the other companies are that you talk about, but my certificate was just for the 2 airline tickets. We got back from our trip last night. My only complaint is that the notice they gave me of my trip being available was inside a month from the dates we wanted. But who am I to complain, they came through even if I was getting a little nervous! They also booked a car for me while I was there and a hotel stay for the three nights I couldn't stay with my sister, both at a reasonable rate. I will use VIP again in the future.

27th of Dec, 2010

Kim:
    Just back from holiday travel to see your thorough reply - many thanks! Specific follow ups:
    3. Our "Thank You" from did say very specifically "seven day cruise with air", although I see that we got separate air and cruise registration forms, and your web site (very helpful!) indeed does not list a combined form. In fact it doesn't list the "World Class Cruise" form that we have at all. I would think that anyone responding to "seven day cruise with air" would reasonably believe that the two were linked?
    6. Each form has spaces for Sponsor and Issue Date, but both are blank. What reason might there be to believe that because the sponsor did not fill in these sections that the forms are expired? It would seem to be very shady for you to ascribe an arbitrary, months-ago issue date to these forms?
    We do want to use these certificates, but I'm sure that you can understand why anyone would be leery of parting with significant funds with so much uncertainty as to what is being represented.
    Ray

3rd of Jan, 2011

RayC1: We have no control over how the sponsors represent the certificates, as they do say right on them they are not guaranteed to be used together and we (well, marketing companies) sell our certificates, separately. If the end user, the sponsor, is intending to offer them together, they may, but you are absolutely correct if they represented that way I can see where it would seem misleading but whom ever gave it to you would be responsible for that misrepresentations, as they do obviously have our terms and conditions readily available and do know what they are giving out.

And, my reasoning for believing that the certificates are expired is because the sponsor is to fill these fields in, as they correspond to what is sent to us. Meaning, if you fill out the issue date to suite your needs it wont actually be when the certificate was issued to you. You have one year to travel from that issue date, it is not feasible to allow clients to hold on to a certificate and fill them in at their leisure for many reasons. It's not shady, actually the exact opposite, if the certificates were in fact issued to you months ago, than that is what date should have been put on them, they are sent to the sponsor blank, but the issue date means just that: the date it was issued.

17th of Jan, 2011

Kim
    Thanks for your patience and follow through. Clearly part of the difficulty is that VIP is apparently a different organization than "Legacy Travel Club" who is presumably the "sponsor". But there definitely is no sponsor name or date on the certificates they sent us (December 2010, not months ago).
    So it seems that omission may be used as grounds to say the certificates are not valid. Couple that with the facts that we would have to part with significant money up front (for the certified check, certified mail and well as for the deposit), and that there are major restrictions on travel dates, we have decided to just pass.
    If someone is willing to accept something reasonably close to their plan, then I'm sure that your certificates would work just fine and your company will deliver what it says it will. However, it's just not for those who don't like to pay any amount of money for something that isn't really what they want.
    Thanks again - your participation on this site is really helpful!

27th of Jan, 2011

My referral to it being months ago was due to the dates of these postings and knowing that the certificates have to be sent in with in 21 days of receipt. And No, we are not Legacy Travel Club. However, our certificate are NOT based on if someone buys into any timeshare, travel club, mary kay product, new chevy truck, etc... we have no idea if you bought in to this unless you provide this information. If they left your certificate blank you are welcome to return it to them and require that they fill it out properly, this is of course at their discretion but if it was in fact their mistake they should fix it. I can totally understand not paying for something you don't really want but that is not what this certificate is based on.

• Lu
      25th of Feb, 2011

I didn't do anything via pay pall, I had to send a money order. And it was never represented as free, but cost less then 1/4 what I would have paid on my own. I got 2 certificates one for a 7 night cruise and 1 for airfare that could be used together. The first time I screwed it up and I didn't sent them in certified mail and tried my hardest, begged, pleaded, threatened, everything and they wouldn't take it, it was void. I went back to the people I got it from they gave me new ones, I sent them in and the first date was not available but the second was. They booked my air to Ft. Lauderdale, the booked my cruise to Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk, and they booked me an extra night in Ft. Lauderdale before my cruise at a good rate. So, it isn't a scam they will book you but I can vouch for it when you say yes, YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS!

• Bo
      4th of Jul, 2013

During the seminar we are told that as a member of Legacy destinations we are guarranteed to the lowest prices for airfare and accomodation anywhere in the world. if we find prices lower than Legacy offer us that they will then beat those prices by 10% A membership for life!

As I have several international and national business trips coming up soon and in addition our family plans to travel this year we pay close attention to the facts being stated. We ask all the pertinent questions and find the answers very encouraging. One of those "if it sounds to good to be true then it ussually is" situations.

Despite our gut reaction, we ask more questions and based on that decide to take a chance. My wife and decide to go "all in" at over $8000.00 membership for us and our immediate family. I choose to open a new credit card to finance the amount, I should have zero problem as my credit is well over 800 points. One of their reps returns half an hour later and tells me my application has been denied, I find this most odd. We decide to split the amount on 2 of our existing credit cards and begin the process.

After 15 minutes my thoughts of my declined credit app and the overall expense cause me to rethink the whole thing and we opt to bow out. We Inform the rep who then calls in the big guns and coral us. The negotiation begins.

Our new offer is a buy back of the free $1400.00 credit originally offered to get us there and less free weeks in Timeshare facilities. Our payable amount for this about $3700.00. We decide to go for it.

We are told that we have a grace period of 3 days once our membership has been processed to bow out of the whole deal. My wife and i figure this will give us a chance tro test the theory by doing our own price and availablility searches online.

We get confirmation of our membership, we begin our testing during our 3 day grace period. Our findings are alarming. Not only do we find way cheaper offers online for fights and accomodation but when we call the Legacy reservation agent to aquire their availability and prices we find that they do not have accomodation in the 3 seperate locations we are interested in.

The reservation agent gives us a 1800 number to call corporate, an automated service. We get a message from a Mr Greg Bernstein asking us if he can help us. my wife deals with him and he promises us he will make us happy. We tell him our existing concerns and he tells us we spoke to him in time to cancel our membership and get a refund. He asks us to wait a few days to give him time to find us what we are looking for.

That was over two weeks ago and nothing from him yet. I have tried calling him several times, I have left several messages. I have also called the 1800 number for corporate and left messages. ZERO response!

In addition we found it rather odd that Mr.Bernstein has a Yahoo email address??? Surely he would have a legacy email address?

Always listen to your gut, it never lies. Conmen on the other hand have no problem as the truth is a matter of perspective!

In addition to all this Last week I recieve a credit card in the mail. The credit card I supposedly did not qualify for?? Misspelled name to boot. I contacted the CC company and cancelled it. A dip in my credit score the result. My question is WTF. What happened here, another lie? I am at a loss. All we want is out, our money back and to be able to warn all those out there that this company which claims to be a A+ rated BBB business is not even Better Business Bureau accredited. One lie after the next

Currently making rounds in Legacy destinations, Baton Rouge Tennessee, and Jacksonville Florida be careful don't make the same mistake we did we're still trying to get our money back after 10 weeks
    Buyer be warned!!

• Kn
      12th of Jul, 2013

Bobbie, this is something I think everyone needs to get together on. There is strength in numbers, otherwise it seems no one can get a reaction from this company. We have been put through the ringer with these people and it seems to just keep happening to others as well. The credit card issue would be a major concern of mine too. You did not qualify and then it showed up? My husband is in the process of getting us out though, and we think getting our money back from all 3 rental scamsters we used too (other internet companies). Do not pay anyone upfront to rent...ever. Legacy will not help unless you know how to get their attention. We have an ebook my husband bought that is basically a "how to" on getting out of a timeshare or vacation club. It is about a 70 page pdf from someone in the industry who crossed over it seems(timesharesamaritan.com). I highly recommend it. I would just send the copy through the site here, but I do not think it will let me.

I will tell you it is about a 2-3 month process from what it says in getting your money back but so far it is looking good for us. One of the rental companies was scared straight after our 1st letters and refunded the $740 immediately. It is looking like the others and Legacy will do the same (They owe us $4500). There are some pretty serious issues the book tells you how to handle. One of them was usage like you are talking about, that was why we bought Legacy. The book tells you how to round up other angry owners too, which will help all of us. There was a money-back guarantee through paypal too. If you need any other advice please let me know. My husband and I are getting pretty aggressive with them. These crooks need to be stopped. Jackie