Leachman Hairpin Cavvy / Terrible company!

Has anyone purchased horses from Jim Leachman Billings, Montana in the last 3 years and got their papers? It appears when this outfit sells horses they do not have their documentation completed according to the American Quarter Horse Association.

Comments

• Kd
      20th of May, 2008

I bought a 2007 filly at the Leachman Cattle Hairpin Cavvy 2007 Production Sale in September. Leachman advertised in the Sale Catalog AND his website that the horses' registrations were "pending." To my surprise and concern, there were no registration papers or even transfer papers waiting for me when I picked the filly up Nov. 1, 2007 -- almost two months after paying in full for the filly. I was assured they were being "processed" as Leachman GUARANTEED those papers and transfers at his expense; however, I learned through Leachman's girlfriend, the Ranch Office Administrator and through AQHA, that not only had Leachman NOT filed the registration application and transfer, he had not even filed his 2006 Stallion Breed reports.

Phone messages, letters and emails to Jim AND Seth went unanswered over the next few months and still no papers for my filly. Finally, I filled out a blank Registration Application and Transfer form, sent those to Leachman along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. I told him I would pay the registration and transfer fees, gave him a one week deadline to sign and date the papers and mail them back to me; otherwise, I would file fraud charges against him. The deadline came and went, so I filed charges which initiated a Montana Dept of Livestock investigation coordinated with Yellowstone County Prosecuting Attorney that is still ongoing. Don't bother with AQHA -- they will DO NOTHING -- regardless of the repeated and open complaints against him.

After I filed the fraud charges, Leachman actually sent me the signed registration application and transfer; however AQHA, of course, would not register the foal without the Stud Report being filed. AQHA sent him a letter telling him to submit that report and, finally, AQHA "recorded" his 2006 Stallion Breeding Report sometime in April 2008. I am waiting on DNA parentage verification so the registration is not complete on my filly. If the DNA does not match, I will never have the foal I bought or its registration papers.

There are several other complaints that I have uncovered as part of my research on Leachman:
    1) It appears some buyers have not been able to get registration/transfer papers going back to 2004, maybe longer.
    2) It appears Leachman's "leased" stallions may not have had a lease on file with AQHA; therefore, Leachmans would not be authorized agents to sign breeding/registration papers.
    3) It appears there are buyers who have had issues with DNA not matching on the horses they bought from Leachman.

On top of all this, it is my understanding Leachman may have lost his leases on the land he boasts about where his horses pasture and graze wild and free. Incredibly, it is my understanding he is also planning to hold another production sale this September. I STRONGLY WARN ANYONE against giving this man ANY money unless you have signed registration AND transfer papers IN HAND, along with possession of the actual horse complete with DNA records! Good luck to all the many others still waiting on their registrations.

18th of Aug, 2008

I have had the same problem. The mare I purchased was bred by Leachman. I finally got her registration but that was due to Leachman did not own her, it was a friend of his. So I had to go through the registered owner to get the paper work signed, I don't think they ever got there money for the mare! Now the mare had her foal and guess what? The stallion cert was never signed. Now I have to go through the original owner of mare to get them to sign a cert stating they owned the mare. I am not sure they will sign as stated I don't think Leachman ever paid them for the mare... I am not sure how they are in business nor how they even get away with what they do. It was a big head ache getting the proper documentation just for the mare.

• Er
      21st of Aug, 2008

I had many of the same problems. However, after numberous calls, emails, etc. I did get my paperwork, even the paperwork to register my foal that was from a bred mare I bought. Lots of lessons learned. Never will go down that road again. I do have a nice blue roan from there and am ecstatic with the black filly I have on the ground now. I was told I was one of only 4 people who had not received their papers. I of course had to pay most of the costs for registering my Blue Roan.

• Kd
      22nd of Aug, 2008

There is a major fraud investigation currently ongoing against the Leachmans. I encourage everyone who has had difficulty in getting their horse's papers should contact the lead investigator.

His name is Matt Noyes and he is the Dept. of Livestock Brand Inspector and his email is mnoyes@mt.gov. The MT Dept. of Livestock is also coordinating the investigation with the Yellowstone County Prosecuting Attorney's office.

• La
      2nd of Sep, 2008

I also purchased a 2007 weanling in the Leachman Sale and just recently after much hassle and at my own expense secured the registration papers. The dam of my foal was NOT owned by Leachman as had been stated in the catalog and therefore I had to contact the previous owners to get anything accomplished. The whole situation has been extremely frustrating and I am certain this has happened to many other past customers.

I was just searching for the Leachman website to find out if they were in fact having a sale this fall when I ran across your posting.

• Sh
      3rd of Sep, 2008

I cannot get registration for a filly I bought in 2007. My problems is that the registration number assigned to the mare according to AQHA is a stud. There is no reason why the application for registration papers are not signed and handed to you the day you hand them a check. If that cannot be accomplished then you are probably not going to get any papers. It is one thing to be in financial trouble that it limits you, but it is quite another thing to refuse to sign a set of papers that have been paid for and rightfully belong to the buyer

• Ly
      14th of Sep, 2008

I purchased a stud colt in 2006 from Leachman's, I waited a few weeks and when I did not get my papers I phoned AQHA and was told the hold up was that they were waiting for DNA confirmation on the dam as it was her first foal. I phoned Jim Leachman and they said they were sending that in right away. I got my registration papers from AQHA in March of 2007. This colt was from one of his leased stallions and there was no problem with that. I love my gorgeous colt. Leachman's are geneticists and have superior horses and I am glad I got my horse there. I feel bad for everyone else who is having trouble. I hope Leachmans can overcome their difficulties and continue with their breeding program so more people can own one of their horses.

• Br
      28th of Sep, 2008

I bought two fillies in 2005 from Leachmans one of them was the high selling filly the other one i bought because every one said Jim has great genetics in his horses this is what i thought i had bought.To make a long story short, i bought her at 4 months of age and finally got her papers strait as a 2 year old.So for anyone looking for a blueroan hancock breed horse this is not the place.You might want to save your self the trouble.Good luck to those in waiting.

• Ad
      6th of Oct, 2008

i hope these incidents aren't the norm. i have bought two horses at their sales and got my papers just fine. good luck to every one involved including leachmans.

17th of Nov, 2008

I have been experiencing a lot what has been said above. We bought 6 foals in 07 and all but one came back. The only catch was we had to pay all the expenses which were yearling expenses and more expensive. On the other hand we do love the horses that we have. They are good tempered and good ranch horses.

• Le
      4th of Jul, 2009

well i used to work for the ### sucker and he ###ed me over sooooo bad, just a little bit of info don't work for this piece of ### he is worthless and has no ###ing life and needs to get one.

• Fr
      22nd of Dec, 2009

I'm inclined to believe it is the AQHA as much at fault here as Mr. Leachman may be (I do not claim to know him or to have ever purchased anything from him). Suffice it to say, I AM a well known and extremely well respected breeder of QH in the A leage and World Circuit shows. 9 time out of 10, I MYSELF have had difficulty registering new borns or even transfered horses purchased from other breeders because there is NO ONE PARTY in the registrations office at AQHA that handles the process from start to finish. Paperwork is ALWAYS lost on their part - not on the member's. And - if that's not bad enough - in the last 3 years I have registered 3 horses with them (note; only three in so long a time because I choose instead to show the paint circuit - where not only have I found the show people to be of higher, more honest character, but where the registry itself is trustworthy, concise, well run and extremely efficient) but truthfully, every single one of those registrations - two which were mere transfers, and one which is a newborn QH filly - has been problematic. I was overcharged; I was "newly assigned" memberships for which I was charged and for which it took quite some time to be reimbursed; I was left chasing my tail for more paperwork than should have been necessary (like verification of signatures for heaven's sake, when all of those involved were also life time members!) on breeder's certificates ... I could go on and on. But let me just say this -- if the Leachman's have horses out there that WERE easily transferred and ARE top quality animals, I believer your complain lay more with the actual Quarter Horse Association boobs than with he/they the breeders. I publicly denounce the organization as imbociles and clearly this comes with decades of frustration with them or I'd not be commenting at all.

• Mt
      31st of Mar, 2010

A short time back Mr. James H Leachman hired a crew to work the remaining 1000 head of hairpin horses and get them ready for a spring sale to help with the bankrupsy prosedings. in this whole country the hairpin was only able to find 5 hands willing to take him at his word that "the checks were good" and jumped on board to try to help him save what was left of this once legendary ranch. in return for there blood, sweat, and tears to help him out, in true Jim Leachman fassion the crew was left to fend for them selves. two of his cowboys (myself included) were injured on the ranch while working horses only to find out that he carried no workers compensation insurance, and after injured i was fired as told i never worked for him. complete deniability. when Jims head colt starter asked for wages for himself and his crew he was informed that there was no money to pay them and he was then fired. for a man who thinks he is the embodiement of the western culture there is something seriously wrong

• M3
      28th of Jan, 2011

Leachman left New York in 1970 after a bankruptcy, nothing has changed in 40 years. It is people like this that give the whole agriculture industry a bad name. I wonder if and how much he has reiceved in federal farm subsidies and now he has turned out and abandoned over 450 horses on other ranches that border his ranch. Again some one else can pick up the tab for his greed and ego.

• Aj
      13th of Mar, 2012

JAMES LEACHMAN WENT BROKE AFTER TWENTY PLUS YEARS OF FIGHTING THE OPRAH ANTI-BEEF ### HOLE GOVERNMENT WE GOT. I ALWAYS GOT PAID. I KNEW JAMES WHEN HE WAS RICH AND POOR, HE ALWAYS KEPT HIS WORD WITH ROGER RIETMAN, ROBERT HOLCOMB, STEVEN BEARCRANE AND I.
    AND HE DID NOT BY 66 HORSES AT THE LAST AUCTION, SETH DID. IF HE COULD HAVE AFFORDED MY SERVICES AND I KNEW HIM YEARS AGO IDA TAKEN OUT ALL THOSE ENVIRONMENTAL GESTAPO PROTECTION AGENCY [censored] SPOOGES!!!

• Aj
      13th of Mar, 2012

Did anyone notice every time the environmental protection agency does a horse round up they kill a dozen or so?, but the Black Crow native Americans rounded up about 600 of James Leachmans and did not kill even one???