Lazy Boy Recliner / delivered broken

1 Cherry Lane, White Settlement areaFort Worth, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 817.246.0001

Approximately 4 weeks ago I purchased 2 lazy boy recliners from Conn's in the White Settlement area of Fort Worth, TX 76108.

The chairs were delivered at the promised time. That was the end of "customer service". One of the chairs was broken (wood frame under the chair is split). I have made repeated calls to the store but have gotten nowhere. A furniture repair place (Kelley's) did come out about 2 weeks later and said that the chair could not be fixed. I later received parts from a furniture company??? with no explanation.

My husband and I are 94 and 84 years of age. I called and complained for 2 weeks to the local Conn's store, speaking with Van Woods (store manager). I was told that he could do nothing about replacing the broken chair and that cooperate headquarters were the only people that could authorize an exchange. He was very nice and understanding but took no action to replace the chair to my satisfaction.

I then contacted my daughter, Donna Beaver, who lives 2 hours north of Fort Worth to do something about this situation as I was not getting anywhere with any satisfaction. As of today, July 29, 2008 nothing has been done. My daughter has called the store 2-3 times a week and has spoken with Van Woods (store manager) Billy (assistant manager) Ron, Chris, Cody Beason and Charles Doty (salesmen). They have all listened to the saga but no one seems interested in taking the ball and doing something about it. Cannot someone he the hero and make this customer happy?

What should my next move be? Each time my daughter calls and speaks with one of the above men, if they are available and not on the phone, they say they will call and speak with me (I live 2 blocks from the store). No one from Conn's has yet to return any calls to my home# or to my daughter's home#. For example, my daughter called this evening and spoke with Ron (salesman) at the store - Van Woods (store manager) was on the phone and he said that he would return the call. No call for over a hour. she called back and he had left for the day!

N. Lynn Griffin, customer
817.246.4184

Donna Beaver, daughter to Lynn
903.892.6717

Comments

• Ly
      29th of Jul, 2008

N. Lynn Griffin, customer
    817.246.4184

Donna Beaver, daughter to Lynn
    903.892.6717

• Re
      20th of Jun, 2009

I found this note during my trials with Conn's. I'm afraid that it's probably too late to help the Griffins, but I had a similar experience with Van Woods at Conn's that I was finally able to resolve. Perhaps my experience will help the next reader.

We bought a lower priced Whirlpool clothes washer at the Conn's on Hulen Street, and were immediately dissatisfied. It was way too loud and although the timer dial had a "delicate" setting (that to us implied a 2-speed motor), if you set it to delicate, it would just run at full speed, pause, and then run at full speed again. That isn't delicate! Initially we tried to make-do by closing the utility room door and doing delicates by hand, but after having the washer for less than a week and a half it broke down due to a manufacturer's defect in the timer.

We bought the washer at a local brick-and-mortar store for service after the sale and because Conn's has a 30-day return policy. (After all, you can't "try out" a washer in a store). We contacted the then-store manager to return the washer or exchange it for a different model and were told that she could not process a return because the washer was broken! She said that we had to go through the service department for a return. The service department told us that they could not handle a return, only a repair. We weren't interested in keeping the washer since we were dissatisfied with it before it ever broke, so we again contacted the store. The managers had since changed to Van Woods and asst. manager Billy Brink, and they said the same thing- no returning the washer (even though we were still within the 30-day return period) because it was broken!

After multiple attempts to contact Conn's corporate customer service by phone (no help there), speaking to Conn's DFW service manager Greg Leblanc (no help there), trying to contact Conn's district manager Clay Roberts (wouldn't even return phone calls, so no help there), we finally got a response to an email sent to Conn's customer service. Never mind that the response to the email came after THREE MONTHS!

It turns out that Conn's is apparently being investigated by the Texas Attorney General's Office for their handling of extended warranties, and in response to that investigation and other issues they have recently created a "Customer Help Group" that dug up our old thus-far-ignored email and contacted us. The Customer Help Group really seems to want to help, and is actually EMPOWERED to help. They not only resolved my problem to my satisfaction (took the washer back, refunded ALL of my payments including delivery fees, waived the re-stocking fee, etc.) but they also arranged to have district manager Clay Roberts and store manager Van Woods call me to apologize for their lack of help.

I would encourage anyone with a customer service issue to speak with the store manager and try to resolve the problem. But failing that, try calling Conn's customer service department at 1-877-472-5422 and ask for help. If the customer service agent can't or won't help (or just transfers you around aimlessly or cuts you off), ask for the Customer Help Group. If you have a legitimate concern and are willing to be persistent, I'll bet that you'll eventually get the help you'll need from them.

Hope this helps.

• Je
      2nd of Sep, 2014
    lazy boy recliner - to loud to sit in
    La Z Boy Co.
    Madison

Bought two Leather Recliners that rock and turn around last winter. We have had to have the repair man for one of the chairs twice. They have replaced the parts under the chair and it just gets louder and louder. I can no longer use it. I am very upset about this. I need something done about this.