Law Office of Richard A. Brennan / $700 stolen from me!

I have had nothing but an absolute nightmare dealing with this company. I signed up more than a year ago with United Christian Financial/Credicure/Fidelity Reserves/USA Debt Management under the agreement that I would pay $365/mo to be sent to my four creditors. I had to put down an initial deposit of $329 to be returned at the end of the program. Everything went along fine for quite a while, but at some point, without notifying me, United Christian Financial switched my account over to the Law Office of Richard A Brennan, associated w/ Credicure. I noticed my creditors started receiving my payments weeks after they took the money out of my account, but I wasn't getting late charges and the payments were being received.

My August payment was taken out on August 8th, 2006. By the end of the month my four creditors had not received them and the accounts were past due. I called the initial number/information I had signed up with, and was informed that my account had been turned over to another company months ago and they (United Christian Financial, Fidelity Reserves) could do nothing to help me. They gave me the # to Richard Brennan's law office. I probably called about 30 times, leaving 20+ messages before I finally was able to get someone. I got a woman named Natasha, who was very snotty to me and told me they were just behind on putting out the payments, and they would be sent out by the end of the month (August). She assured me they would be received by all four of my creditors by September 7th. I don't like my accounts being past due so I borrowed money, worked extra shifts, to be able to bring three of the four accounts current. A week later my money still had not been received, so after calling probably 6 more times, being disconnected, leaving multiple messages that were not returned, I finally got a hold of Natasha again, who told me, oh whoops! They were never gonna send that money out to my creditors! Supposedly I was supposed to have gotten a letter 3 months earlier explaining that they were switching the business over to yet another company, and I could do that, or claim that I was going bankrupt and become a settlement client, which would completely screw my credit up. Natasha refused to call my creditors, refused to refund my money, refused to send it out to my clients. It finally became such a hassle dealing w/ her that I blocked them from taking my September 8th payment, and canceled out of the program. I was ASSURED, PROMISED, that my August payment of $365 would be refunded directly into my account October 1st. I called back another day to confirm that was true, and was told that actually a check would be mailed out to me on October 1st.

So on October 2nd I called and spoke w/ Tiffany, who told me they were still backed up, and that my money would be sent out that Friday (October 6th). Then the following week I called back to confirm, and she told me that Friday October 13th was when they were all to be out by.

It is now what, October 18th? No check. I have left Tiffany a message on her direct line everyday this week, and no messages back. I have emailed every email address they have multiple times. I have found other people online who have been screwed over by this law office as badly as myself. Not only am I forfeiting the initial deposit of $329, because I "dropped out" of the program in order to protect myself from having more money stolen from, but at this point I am still out my August 8th payment. Believe me, I would not have signed up w/ a debt management program in the first place if I could afford to have $700 stolen from me!

Comments

• Ic
      25th of Nov, 2006

I had the SAME problems with Brennan. Lucky for me, in July I requested that I be removed from the program (I had to fax them that request), and they stopped taking money out. Otherwise, I don't know how much more $ I would have been out. At this point, I'm out about $300 bucks...I'm one of the lucky ones. I actually have correspondence with Mr. Brennan himself in which he responded to my e-mails (once out of like, 30 times) and told me that I was being "harsh", that he was doing nothing improper, blah blah blah. Sure. Then why, dear sirs, is my money still gone? I truly hate this company and this organization and I've told them several times...I'm seriously wondering if we can find many other people who have experienced the same types of problems with Brennan and at the very least file a class action against him? It couldn't be hard...do a search for "complaints" and "Richard A. Brennan" and you'll come up with a multitude of results. STAY AWAY!! I'm serious.

• Kr
      28th of Nov, 2006

I too was hosed by this thief. His firm and his rude employees need to be stopped. I am out over $4,000 including payments that I made to LORAB, over limit fee's, late payment fee's etc... charged by my creditor's. LORAB only made ONE payment to my creditor's on my behalf after all the money they took from my checking account and guess what folks, the check they sent was returned for Non Sufficient Funds! I got charged returned check fee's by my creditor's on top of everything else. This guys is a bad, bad man! Stear clear of him and his business.

• Ni
      30th of Nov, 2006

I too had enrolled in the united christian foundation for debt consolidation, after recving letters from my creditors they were not recving payments, I tried to call the united christian foundation and recvd a message that the phone # was disconnected I located some of my paper work and found a phone # from someone their I contacted it and was laughed at stating the united christian foundation was no longer in bussiness they were forclosed...Then 1 month later I recvd a letter from law office of richard a brennan stating they were to take over my account, I spoke with a Nikki there, this took place in Aug 2006, I then filled out the paper work they sent me, in Sept my creditors sent notification still no payments being recvd, I called back law office of richard a brennan where I spoke to a Romara who stated that theh creditors were refusing payments, they would reissue, called back in Oct and got a recording the office was under construction and that they would be open 10/7 called back was told Romara no longer worked their was given a Tiffany person to work with and she stated my paper work was never filed, I then refaxed all the paper work that day 10/19 to comp. while they were still withdrawling from my account, since then I have sent 17 emails and tried to call every day I get a recording stating mail box is full....I am out over $1200...This is a fraudulent law office and i would highly recomment avoiding any buss. with them what so ever.......

• Do
      11th of Dec, 2006

Unbelievable! I have had the same trouble with Brennan, along the same time line!! I can't get into details right now because we are taking legal action. He has caused so much tension and pain in our family.

• Ar
      12th of Dec, 2006

Im honestly in the same boat, I m in schock nowthat I read all these posts. Could anyone inform me how to process legal action, does it worth it?

• Br
      12th of Dec, 2006

I have had similar problems. I have taken myself out of the program but am owed money and am getting the run around. I feel like everyone should get together and bring about a lawsuit against these people.

• Ve
      13th of Jan, 2007

I am really glad that I did a Google on Richard A Brennan Law Offices. They just took out my first payment of 784 dollars. After seeing all of these complaints, I think that I will get out of the program. I guess that I will change my checking account so that they can't take out any more money. I already lost 2000 dollars to another debt settlement co. There should be some way to get satisfaction from these types of scams that these people pull on unsuspecting victims. I guess that a person would be better off talking to the creditors and reach some kind of agreement for payment of the debt.

• La
      23rd of Jan, 2007

FYI - below is information that was posted on another site regarding a class action lawsuit that was filed against Richard A Brennan.

A class action lawsuit against Richard A Brennan was filed in the Circuit Court for Frederick Co., MD on 12/12/06, Case No. 10C06003015. We are attempting to create a victim database. If you have a claim against this defendant, contact us at the email address indicated below (Please ... no telephone calls at this time). Give us your name, address, claim amount, and any additional information about your claim that you wish to provide. Unfortunately, due to the large number of claimants, we may not be able to answer each email individually or respond to individual inquiries about this case.

Law Offices of James P. Koch
    1101 St. Paul St.
    Suite 404
    Baltimore, MD 21202
    jkoch1(at)ix.netcom.com
    jpkochlaw.com

• As
      16th of Feb, 2007

I feel particularly foolish because I am an attorney who had switched away from law to open my own business. As a result of the new business, I got behind with my bills last year so I trusted Richard A. Brennan to help me get back on track. Like each of you, Brennan clipped me for about $333 but I got out fast! By the time Brennan tried to get the second payment from my account, I could see that he was a fraud so I went to my bank, put a stop on the automatic draft authorization and I froze the second payment to Brenan before it entered his account. (Your banks can trace the automatic withdrawal authorization and stop them. Brennan uses Wells Fargo to pull the funds on his behalf. Then just go to your bank and stop the authorization from Wells Fargo. You will need the authorization numbers from Wells Fargo. There might be a fee from the bank but its worth it). I never signed anything with Brennan even though they promised to send me a contract. That's just as well. Good luck everyone.

• Da
      15th of Mar, 2007

I too have been taken for a loop by Richard a. Brennan. I was signed up with debt company credicure. They were sold to Brennan. I have been given the run around as to why my bills were going unpaid, even though money was still being taken out of my account. I am awaiting a check from Richard A. Brennan.

• Be
      27th of Mar, 2007

I'm so happy to find this site! I have the same problem and am currently still dealing with Richard A. Brennan. I was with CreditCure, was handed over to RAB last year and everything has gone downhill from there! My credit score has suffered (even though they told me it wouldn't) and I feel like I'm about to lose the over $1000 I've paid in to these guys. After reading all these comments, I am now about to get out of this program so I don't lose anymore money. I think if we all come together, we can get our money back from these fools. How do we go about filing a suit against them? Email me if you have any leads.

• Ro
      4th of Apr, 2007

I'm having similar problems. I have called the Law Office numerous times without getting a call back. Debt collectors are calling stating they have never received any money. The person that manages my account has been changed a number of time. I leaving voice mail messages to a person who no longer works for the firm. I tried calling the direct number and get a voice message informing me to leave a message. They are still taking money from my bank account, but I am not receiving anything in return. How do we go about filing a suit again these people? Please let me know.

Thank you.

• Ju
      27th of Apr, 2007

I was having a hard time keeping my bills current due to a tragedy that happened in my life. My dad died in Feb then my son was murdered in June. I was off work due to caring for my father and had not gone back to work when my son was shot. I called consumer credit to get some relief and was sent to these people. I was told I would have to pay my first payment to the attorney which would be $290 then the rest of the money would be in an account for my creditors and if I decided to cancel I would get the money that I was paying 225.00 monthly back. Well in April I decided to cancel their services because I could never get in touch with these people and told them to cancel and send me my money back minus the 290.00 I was told I could not get a refund because I owed them almost 3000.00 in attorney fees. My debts were only 3500-4000 so why in the world would I pay them that when I was not working. They have 1515.00 of my money and will not return it. There are ripping people off that are trying to pay their bills.

• Bj
      1st of May, 2007

Here's one of the Brennan's homes:

Richard Brennan
    Wife = Essence Butler
    23829 Burdette Forrest Rd
    Clarksburg, MD. 20871

Perhaps the IRS should take a look at this company!!!

• La
      2nd of May, 2007

To anyone asking about filing a lawsuit against Richard Brennan - one has already been started:

Law Offices of James P. Koch
    1101 St. Paul St.
    Suite 404
    Baltimore, MD 21202
    jkoch1(at)ix.netcom.com
    jpkochlaw.com

• Cr
      5th of May, 2007

I too signed up with Richard Brennan's office for credit counseling services. I was told (by SOS Debt management) the first payment was $199 after the first payment it would drop for the remainder of the program to $109.

The second payment taken from my account was $199. I noticed this when my card was declined due to my bank being over drawn.

I called Richard Brennan’s office and was told they would correct it immediately and refund me for my overdraft charges. That was back in December.

Since then I have called repeatedly trying to get my money back. After my account was delinquent for two months my bank was going to turn me over to some company and file charges. So I had to pay them $400 to bring it up to date since it sat so long.

The helpful rep that said they would take care of it was no longer with the company after a few weeks of them taking my money! Convenient? I think so!

In January when this so called law office tried to take the monthly payment from my account and it was declined that’s when they decided to call me. Even though I had called numerous times trying to contact them!

I was told that they were not responsible for it! I had to contact Consumer credit counselors of America. So I did, and then they told me that it was SOS debt management who then told me it was law office!

I have been sent in circles since December and still no money back!

The real toppers are I told them FOUR times they were not authorized to money out of my account and they still did! And what did they do with that money? Pocketed it! They didn't pay any of my bills and they have now all been reported to my credit and have ruined my life for the next 5 years.

I was also told I could easily monitor my account online when I signed up. I just found out that it is a proposed project that won't even begin until 2008! I have to call the creditors to find out what’s going on.

And one more thing. I had to close my bank account since they refused to stop taking my money and when I went to open another one it is now on my record of the overdraft fees!

So I am suing! I am taking every charge I can to court from internet fraud and unauthorized banking transactions to age discrimination (one of there reps told me she didn't care what was going on because I’m young and can't do anything about it!)

See you in court Richard Brennan "atty at law".

• Lu
      29th of May, 2007

All I can say is crook, crook, crook. They robbed me for $1,3000. I know it's not that much, but I had to make double payments to my credit card company, and now my interest rate is 27% again. May me and Richard Brennan meet someday.

• Kr
      30th of May, 2007

I am so glad that I Googled Mr. Brennan. I signed up with Consumer Credit Counseling of America and a payment of $200 was scheduled to be withdrawn from my account on June 15, 2007. I have frozen my bank account and written a letter to CCCa to cancel my plan before it starts.

Thanks everyone... I was just saved a lot of money and headaches.

Much appreciated.

• Ro
      5th of Jun, 2007

All too familiar postings. I trusted these people and signed up with them back in summer of 2006 to help me resolve an IRS debt. I have gone through four or five contacts and phone numbers change like the wind. I am out around $3700 and want and need it back. They were to pay the IRS $100/month out of the $372/mo they were withdrawing from my bank account. The IRS since time has began levying some of my bank accounts because they have never received a single payment from them. So where is my money and what are they doing with it? I have notified my bank to not allow that withdrawal and will have to file an affidavit with the bank indicating that the company is fraud, not legitimate and a huge scam in order for further months to not be withdrawn. If there is a class action suit being filed someone count me in and let me know how to proceed. I need my money back to help resolve my issues. Luckily, I did find a nationwide reputable company that will help me with my tax issues and it will cost me less and I will owe less for taxes. I have been trying to reach the office for the last nearly two weeks and all voice mail boxes were full and you can not leave a message. Then as of yesterday a recorded greeting answers the phone and you can leave a message. I have left four message to no avail. They are a fraud! I want and need my $3,700 back NOW!

• Pa
      12th of Jun, 2007

Wow, all stories to familiar. I was with credicure and all was well. They were sold out or turned over to Richard A. Brennan due to legislative issues. Money has been taken out of my account and no payments have been made to creditors since June of 2006. A new program was set up as they say. I called the bank where my money should have been due to them taking money out of my account. I pay 475.00 a month. They told me I had $800.00 in my account. Simple math tells me they are missing about $4,000 dollars??? Where did it go. The fees were minimal according to them. My credit score has also dropped which I was told it would not. I will be more than happy to join the class action lawsuit. I have been notified that my wages were going to be garnished by a creditor who took me to court and I did not even know it. I was not served. I was notified that I lost in court that I was not aware of and owe this balance. I joined to get out of dept. I am now farther in. Any advise please email me.