LAPD / Racist and bad Treatment

1 Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:

A couple of days back, the police forced into our apartment saying that they have heard a complain of the domestic violence. I was surprise because the only thing that happenned was our child was crying during that time. They come inside and started searching our small apartment and started to interogate me.
In our bedroom, there is space where we keep our deities and do Puja. My wife is a little bit more of the religious than me - so she request them not to go to that space with shoes on.

However, they did not listen and just went wherever they wanted. They said they did not have to remove their shoes. This I think is a disrespect to other culture. I am Indian in US on the H1B Visa and work of the Vierzon and pay tax on income help the economy. Later, when they did not find anything, they just left. We were dumb-founded and outrage. We were scared too for the safety... In our building, we are the only Indian/foreigner. This might probably leave a permanant scar in the child's mind when he sees his father interrogated for nothing.

Can someone advice if we can take the matter to someone? Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. I need to know of the lawyer and of the damages could be claimed for this injustice. At the very least we feel officers involved need to take of the diveristy training class to learn the respect for other Culture and Values.

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Su
      27th of Jul, 2009

Oh, Christ, another hyper-sensitive foreign national. I'm sure their shoes were clean, chill out.

• In
      17th of May, 2009

I realize your are upset over what you believe is an injustice. However, you are obviously not accustomed to the law in our country.
    The police did not apparently break down your door, or you would have said so; the door was likely opened in response to their knocking. If you or your wife was not found after being knocked unconcious due to a disturbance and your child was left on their own for an undetermined amount of time, you would likely also be asking for an attorney for damages, so the police had every right to make sure you and your family were safe, and are obligated to do so in response to the call they received. They will not remove their shoes as they are part of the uniform, and may not have also been required to enter the area, but I do not know since there is nothing to say one way or the other. Maybe you could ask for their supervisor to explain procedures to you, or offer to go for a ride-along with an officer to learn a little about the culture here that allows those people with no understanding whatsover of what the police have to go through (and tollerate on a daily basis this type of ignorance, just to earn a living) and to then disrespect law enforcement and call for an attorney to settle what they were to ignorant to handle themselves.
    As an employee of a company known to communicate with millions, you might want to also spell their name correctly- which is why I'm not a big fan of outsourcing to persons from other countries, but try very hard to understand and be patient when communicating with them. Try it yourself when dealing with law enforcement, and learn the real meaning of being racist versus not understanding something.

• Ta
      27th of Jul, 2009

Why is it that everyone from another country thinks America should conform to their rights or religions? Yes I am white but have been treated in the same fashion. The police have a job to do and have their way of doing it the best they know how. You're lucky you weren't beaten down and taken to jail for not cooperating and my advise to you is let it go because you do not want the LAPD thinking you are against them.

28th of Jul, 2009

Good point, taz. I am Babtist and I'm sure they wouldn't take their shoes off for me. Grow up, people.

• Ho
      27th of Jul, 2009

Don't listen to the bitter Inspector_G comment. Its the typical elitist white male attitude who is probably bitter that his IT got outsourced. Any way, you can make a formal complaint by stopping by the police station or going to the police's website and fill out a formal. Hopefully you got all of the officers names.

28th of Jul, 2009

Oops. Baptist.

• He
      9th of Dec, 2009

the people that are against him are white and there rascist. the people with him are of color like me a hispanic, period

• La
      14th of May, 2011

I was in a similar situation just this afternoon. My family and I were coming back from my graduation ceremony and drove into a street where other cars were bypassing a fire truck due to an accident. Shortly after we bypassed the fire truck- following the waving hand motion of an officer to come closer she began to hysterically yell- I MEAN really just batshit nuts crazy hysterically saying "DO you think you're just allowed to make your own rules??!!" (mind you we were not ONLY car that was stopped) but my uncle kindly asked her why she was yelling and she proceeded to yell like we didn't speak English and angrily yelled at him to give up his license. She looked as if she was going to explode! However- I did manage to get her badge number AND will be making a formal complaint both by paper and phone. Also it helps if one knows a family member who happens to work for the DA. If anybody is reading this post and feels like the situation they were in was unjust- please have the courage to make a complaint. A lot of minority citizens in American feel powerless and often feel as though they will just make themselves appear on some invisible police blacklist- but that fear is what silences us and makes them corrupt with unwarranted power. several times- I have felt personally violated by the police and I just do not see why people have to put up with their (compensating for the lack of self-esteem) verbally abusing ###.

• Mr
      28th of Nov, 2012

I agree, LAPD cops are racist pigs. I am 57, in between jobs, and I go to school online and I am at USC library everyday studying. On November 27, 2012 as I was leaving at 5pm to catch the Expo Line there was a cop car with a rookie white cop behind the wheel and a big Latino male in the passenger's side chewing gum. They followed me as I was leaving the campus heading to the train, the big Latino officer asked me if I was a student there, I told him I go to school online and I am at the library everyday, he said oh really, I said yes oh really do you need to see my I D? He said, yes, I said which would you prefer my student ID or my license, the young white rookie cop said nervously just your student ID sir, I pulled it out and showed it to them and then he handed it back to me and said have a good day sir. I know the campus is in the hood, and there was a car jacking not too long ago, as well as a shooting but my goodness are they going to stop every black male walking along USC's campus? LAPD are racists who profile Black Americans, even a 57 year old educated black man such as myself, what a shame, and they wonder why people especially black Americans do not like police officers. Go after the real thugs, not innocent people such as myself.

• Zk
      20th of Jul, 2010

I called cops to my house to report a break in of my car, my wifes car, and my room mates car. I happened to be working on my motorcycles in the garage at the time. Unfortunately instead of asking when, where, and how they asked why I had so many bikes and acted like I'd stolen them.

If being a cop is so difficult maybe you should have gone to school longer. Maybe you should get another job. I'm so sick of hearing how tough it is to be on the street every day "protecting people". In the mean time the cops in los angeles act as another form of taxation and act as if every victim is an inconvenience, every person who isn't white is a criminal, and every person is disrespecting them. I'm a white guy and I can't believe how these cops act.

Its easy to be a fascist cop when your in a state where most citizens are disarmed by the law. In the meantime my car has been broken into 2 more times since then, even though they had surveillance video of the two guys and an eye witness incident with the guys. They don't care, MOST of them are not hero's. They're more likely to be criminals than the average tax paying citizen.

• Mr
      8th of Jun, 2011

obviously there are 2 sides to the story and we havent heard the officers side of the story but just going off the "taking off the shoes" complaint that is a safety issue...they will NOT remove their shoes just as you call a holy ground...the police are not there to conform to your needs..they are their to do a job and if its that big of a deal just go down to the station and file your report there! If people didnt threaten to sue or make a complaint at a police officer just for saying a bad word the police would have a different additude..ive observed officers being cursed at and being called every name in the book and they do an outstanding job of just standing there taking the abuse yet to call someone whos driving erratically a [censored] based on their poor driving skills you people wanna yell and scream...the police departments all over the world are never appreciated until you need them!