Lane Bryant / bathrooms

Grand Rapids, MI, United States Review updated:

On 8/6/2018 me and my handicap aunt went to use our coupons at store 06464, which is in Grand Rapids, MI. While shopping we both asked to use the bathroom. We were told me had to go to Joann Fabrics next door. I asked the employees where they went...they said they also had to go to Joanns...It took awhile for my aunt to travel to the back of Joanns to use their restrooms...When we returned to Lane Bryant my aunt did not want to shop there and use her coupons. I did spend $86.00 and saved $149.96. When I cashed out I told the employees how awful it was they did not provide restrooms and I would call someone for them, which I did. they then told me the restroom gets backed up...Later in the day I went to the Kalamazoo, MI store 04672, and spent another $58.31 and saved $66.99 with my coupons. I told the employee there what happened to us in the sister store in Grand Rapids. THAT employee did apologize to me and gave me a contact person by the name of Laura Glover, [protected], which I did call and left a message. I have not heard back from Laura...I would love to be able to take my aunt shopping that provides a restroom. I would also like to be notified when this issue is resolved so I CAN take her. Thank you

• Updated by elizabeth doss, Aug 10, 2018

There are no bathrooms for shoppers to use.

• Updated by elizabeth doss, Aug 11, 2018

I just received an email from "The complaints board" on my personal email account, which I must say was rude, using capitol letters and all, plus the content space read "YEAH RIGHT" So I will respond to their questions here as of now I cannot respond to their email...one of those "Do not respond" things...My aunt was given a note from her Dr when she was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last year. She did get her "I can't wait card" So yes my aunt does carry her card at all times. The reason she had to use Joanns restroom, which is not a public facility, is because the employees, which 3 were working at the time, also said they have to use Joanns, which the law does state an employer must supply a restroom for employees. So her card did no good in this time for her or the employees. The employees did tell us the restrooms over flow, I probably should of contacted the health department.The restrooms were located in a hallway, which is safe and no threat to security or even theft.

• Updated by elizabeth doss, Aug 11, 2018

I would also like to post that I did contact the employee from that store today, who told me at times the over flow would get so bad it would go to the center floor...yuck...and she also thanked me because now the employees themselves do not have to take turns walking to Joanns to use the bathroom...your welcome and thank you to the plumber...

El
Aug 10, 2018

Comments

•   Aug 10, 2018

Why should a clothing store have bathrooms? These stores rent space at $30-$100 per square foot. That’s a lot of cash to pay for convenience. Clothing prices would go up and you’d complain. They have tp pay for toilet paper, paper towels, soap, cleaner, disinfection, mops, etc. Oh and pay employees to do it but not the sales staff.

Restaurants have bathrooms because people eat and drink and need to wash up and/or use the facilities.

Bathrooms are needed in stores that aren’t in shopping centers or malls. But the stores have no obligation to provide them. If they charge to use the facilities, people crawl under the doors or hold the door for the next person.

I’ll hold it until I get home. I want to sit on a seat I know is clean and unused and not full of germs. My cat isn’t fond of germs, cooties and leftovers.

😉

Aug 11, 2018

@SubSquirrel Im glad you can hold it till you get home, however, there are a lot of elderly and handicapped people out there who unfortunately can not...I would SO gladly pay a bit extra to help those people in need. After so many touch the very same items we all touch while trying stuff on, I would love to be able to wash my hands. Are there really places out there that charge for the use of a bathroom??? I would pay for that service for my aunt, or any other person out there who needs a bathroom...Including a child...

Aug 11, 2018

@SubSquirrel I suggest you look up ALLY'S LAW and find out if your state is one of the 14 states that have this law. In Michigan it does. It is always a good idea to provide for your customers needs...It is called good service.

•   Aug 11, 2018

@elizabeth doss I’m in bed 24/7 or in a wheelchair for a few hours. When healthy, I’d hold it in. Now they have travel briefs for incontinence. Again, someone has to pay for the bathroom supplies and care.

Aug 11, 2018

@SubSquirrel You should look up ALLY'S LAW in your state for the healthy days you are able to travel...Learn this law in your state...You will feel so much better knowing you can go out in public on the days you are up for it..Lane Bryant is a huge corporation where I am sure they can pay the extra cash to provide toilet paper and anything else needed to make sure their customers are provided good service...Guess it all boils down to good service...Oh and of course the laws in my state...maybe even your state...Hope you have more good days to get out and about. God bless

• Om
      Aug 10, 2018

The store isn't required to have bathrooms for customers. There is no law that states they have to have bathrooms for public use. There are many reasons. ESPECIALLY in a clothing store. More opportunity for shop lifting.

•   Aug 10, 2018

@Omeomya People think they’re entitled to a bathroom. Shoplifting was a great reason, too. That’s why stores stopped allowing open dressing rooms. You need a ticket and they count items going in and coming out.

Many stores have bathrooms that are so dirty and smelly ...

Aug 11, 2018

@Omeomya This Lane Bryant store I am referring to is located in Michigan. In Michigan, and in this cities guidelines spelled out by the Uniform Plumbing Code, Michigan has what they call ALLY'S LAW. Currently 14 other states have passed Ally's Law..and in this law it does state a bathroom needs to be provided for persons who fall under this category, which my aunt does...This facility actually has 2 restrooms, which the reason being it falls under square footage for the size and the number of people who enter, which is 41 persons a day...under 40 people a day there only need 1 restroom.

Aug 11, 2018

@Omeomya There is a law in Michigan, and 14 other states, that do have a law. It is called ALLY'S LAW...and my handicapped aunt falls under the category...look it up...knowledge is power.

@Omeomya ALLY'S LAW

Read the law better. “Restroom Access Act
    The Restroom Access Act, also known as Ally's Law, is legislation passed by several U.S. states that requires retail establishments that have toilet facilities for their employees to also allow customers to use the facilities

The store didn’t have a bathroom for employees.

Aug 11, 2018

@SubSquirrel Which not providing a restroom for employees is also illegal...I am so glad it was fixed for them, and so were the employees...They even thanked me...Guess you can say I am a advocate for Ally's Law :) and for the employees

•   Aug 11, 2018

@elizabeth doss Which law states bathrooms for employees must be provided? They run next door which isn’t convenient, but stores at my local mall don’t have bathrooms for employees. Some are small counters in the middle of the aisles of the mall. Some stores are tiny with minimal products and no back room.