Lakeside Collection / Double charged on my debit card

I have ordered from Lakeside for years, since before I was married. I have had mostly good results with them--albiet the usual complaints of backordered items and items no longer available and the occasional poorly made product--but customer service has always made it right. This time, I'm really p.o.'ed.

I've read on Lakeside's website that they put an initial hold on your debit/credit card for the full order amount, then ALSO put a second charge on your credit card as the items ship, THEN, when all items have shipped, they release that hold on your card and your funds are released. The problem I have with this is that I irdered almost $170 worth of merchandise, and only have $254 in my checking account. I don't care that they hold the money for the full amount of the transaction, but they need to charge your card out of that amount they are holding, not charge my card twice and hold all my money hostage. I only want to have to pay for the order once--and be able to put groceries on the table for my family.

I have 2 little kiids at home and a husband who works darn hard for every dollar we make. Being a homeschool mom, I try really hard to ease the financial burden on my husband by ordering early for the holidays and finding the best deals I can so we can eat and still have a great Christmas. That $254 is all the money in the world I have to get by on until NEXT Friday.

So, if they hold $170 and then charge $170 worth of merchandise to my debit card, not only am I broke with no grocery money, some items may not go thru because they are holding the money intended to pay for the order, and the remaining money not on hold is not enough to cover the whole order. What am I going to do? I usually pay by money order in the mail, but this year, due to my husband having a horrific accident that resulted in multiple amputations, I found it harder to get the money together to holiday shop and ordered by debit card so I could get the items on time.

I really hope a representative from lakeside is reading this and addresses this issue because I CAN'T afford to be double charged, even if temporarily. I guess by trying to do a nice thing for my family, I have ultimately screwed everything up by going with ordering from Lakeside. I really hope this isn't the case. If so, sadly, I won't ever order form them again. I have forgiven a lot of small issues I've had with them over the years, because ultimately they do most things right. But this one would be unforgivable and my husband will be beyond angry if I've inadvertently screwed us royally.

Bottom line is, they'd better re-think this policy and make things right with their customers. There's a lot of competition out there from online retailers, and customers are getting more and more flooded with options every day. Lakeside had better get their act together because these kind of policies will bring the whole company down. Give people a reason to shop with you. Price alone wont cut it.

Comments

• Me
      2nd of Dec, 2010

Hi Homescho,

Thank you for reaching out to me for assistance. I was happy to hear from you. I have sent you a direct email regarding your concerns.

Here is some information regarding our Authorization Process. When you submit your order, the initial credit card authorization is only for in-stock products that are available to ship. We do not authorize our customer’s credit cards for merchandise that is not in stock. Merchandise on backorder will be authorized when it becomes available.

Once items are shipped, the funds are debited from your account. The initial authorization is release as soon as your package ships. Also, you are not charged for merchandise that has been canceled.

Your complete order is in the process of being shipped and should be shipped shortly. I really hope you and your family enjoy the items that you purchased for gifts.

Happy Holidays!

Melanie Pyott

• Is
      26th of Jan, 2011

Lakeside WILL charge you if you cancel the order. I called them to let them know card information was stolen when I saw the charges to Lakeside and that I didn't order anything from them. The email and phone numbers they were given did not work and they stated that they had only done the pre-authorization and that it had not been shipped. The following week it showed to be deducted from my bank account anyway. When I called they said that the same people ordered the duplicate with someone in Missouri's credit card. I told them they should verify it because it's probably a stolen credit card too. Thankfully the item hadn't been shipped. However, mine was. Although I called on 1/18/11 to cancel, it was shipped on the 21st, and showed on my bankcard on the 24th. I have been promised fraud department would call within 24-48 hours. It's been 192 days. I have spoken to Cora, James/supervisor, Chanelle, Kenny/supervisor, Diana/supervisor, Manny, and Claudia, and that is when I finally started writing the names down! The last person I spoke with is Denise Certa...she too promises me that Marty Riley (another supervisor)...will call me back...which is what they all have promised...of course Ms. Riley was in a meeting and so couldn't come to the phone. I let Lakeside know of TWO fraudulent credit card use...before it had shipped...they shipped it anyway and charged them anyway...SO...who would you consider to be committing the fraud?

• Kr

Hello isanybodylistening,

You can be assured that we are definitely listening and are very sorry for what you experienced.

Our records show Mildred with our Credit Department has been in contact with you concerning the matter you referenced. She said the last time she spoke to you was at 12:30 p.m. today.

Mildred said a refund for the total amount in question was issued today and this transaction will show processed on your end within 2 business days. As Mildred promised, she will call you as soon as the funds show back in your account.

If I can be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at [protected]@lakeside.com and I will get back to you right away!

Best regards,

Kristy Gomez
    The Lakeside Collection

• Is
      26th of Jan, 2011

Yes Mildred called after my letter was posted. After all this time! Your company has some VERY MAJOR problems in customer service and preventing fraud. All of the above was promised it would not be charged or shipped and they were well aware that the charges were fraudulent, and they charged not one..but two stolen credit cards..and then shipped it to the theives. Just not acceptable. Maybe I should have posted my complaint sooner for action to take place.

• Kr
      27th of Jan, 2011

Hi again isanybodylistening,

I spoke with Mildred today and she advised the refund was showing posted on your credit card. Those funds are available for you to use.

Please know that we are very sorry for the customer service you received and for the troubles you encountered with this matter. We definitely do not take negative experiences such as yours lightly and have forwarded the information on to the appropriate department.

Should you need anything further, please contact me directly at [protected]@lakeside.com.

Most sincerely,