Lady Foot Locker / Unsanitary Conditions - Dirty Socks

I recently went you Lady Foot Locker in Fredericksburg, VA to purchase school shoes.

She selected the shoes and asked the associate for the size she needed. Once the associate brought out the shoes she asked "would you like to purchase socks". I knew we would need at least one sock because my daughter wasn't wearing any.

I then asked if the store had disposal socks because we didn't wish to purchase socks for the sake of trying on shoes. I was then told that the store carries socks for customers, but only washes them once a day!

I asked the associate if other people had the socks on that day and she said "yes, we've been selling lots of shoes today"! I then asked if she thought this was a sanitary practice and she just smiled awkwardly, awaiting for my next response.

It's hard to believe that a company as large as Lady Foot Locker would allow these types of unsanitary conditions in their stores. Who would try on a sock that another person wore (regardless of how short the period of time)?

Needless to say, we left the store without trying on/ purchasing anything and can't say that we will be going back!

Pe

Comments

• Kd
      14th of Mar, 2009

I believe Lady Footlocker customer service is horrible. I will never shop there again.
    A Lady Footlocker employee ordered me a pair of Nike Walkers several months ago that were out of stock in the store. She measured my foot and when I received my shoes they were HUGE, not the correct size at all. Unfortunately, I became quite ill after this special oder and wasn't able to return for an exchange until now. After explaining the situation to the sales clerk, I was told several times that the 30 day return period has lapsed and I was out of luck. I asked the sales clerk if LFL had a policy if the store employee orders the wrong size for the customer, he just chuckled. Needless to say I will never shop there again.

• Al
      4th of Sep, 2009

Next time you go to buy shoes maybe you could remember to wear your own socks! Duh!

• Be
      22nd of Oct, 2009

they never have clean socks. you better be carefully before you get foot fungus especially with their display shoes. do you know how many pple who don't have sock and have dirty disease feet goes in those shoes. a lot. Footlocker is known to use socks that other people have worn over and over and they'll tell you it's clean but their not. there's no regulation on it either. good for you for standing for your rights

• Re
      31st of Mar, 2010

9 times out of 10 when you go shopping for footwear the correct procedure would be to go prepared. I would never comment on something I don't know anything about but if I'm not mistaken shoe stores also carry socks that you can buy. I do all of my shopping with this company because they are very hard working people that put their customers first. All companies have policies! if you take a look around alot of independant stores are opening up in these malls and they're not gonna give you any money back even if you bought it 5 seconds ago. This site is full of cry babies instead of legitimate complaints OMG!!!

21st of May, 2010

This just happened to us too. I will NEVER buy a pair of shoes from Lady Foot Locker! While shopping in sandals, (no socks on!) we made a spur of the moment decision to purchase $110 shoes. I have never been in a shoe store or shoe department that didn't have the nylon footies for their customers. They pulled out a container of filthy, used and inside out socks. This is unsanitary. When asked how often these are washed, the ignorant sales clerk said we try to wash them once a week, but sometimes we don't wash them for a couple of weeks or so. WHAT?? and you give me the option to use one of these dirty, unsanitary socks or buy a pair of socks. Ha.. I had the option of shopping elsewhere, which is exactly what we did. Across the street to Dicks Sporting Goods to purchase the exact same shoes. They had FREE nylon footies. Shame on Lady Footlocker!

• So
      15th of Jun, 2010

I agree with some of your complaints, but not all of them. First off, when your going to buy shoes, wear socks, if your wearing sandals, put your own socks in your purse. Please don, t condemn the employee, it isn, t their fault, if they open clean new socks for you to use they have to pay for them. It is a shame that provide disposalble socks. But at a store level, don't blame the employee. Second, Always read your receipt, it will tell you what you need to know. It will also give you a 1(800) number. Call customer service, because at a store level, an employee is just doing what someone has told them to do.

• In
      30th of Jul, 2011

I've been working at Lady Foot Locker for almost a year now, and I see complaints on socks every day. I disagree with your statement simply because if we had to give each customer a new pair of socks, do you know how many packs would be wasted? Many customers come in every day, see a shoe they like, try it on, and decide against buying it. To open a new pack and give a pair to every customer would be millions of dollars in losses, with the 3, 600+ stores around the world. Not to mention how awful the audit reports would be.

Some stores don't even have to open brand new packs of socks each month for customers to try out. Obviously, if you aren't willing to buy socks in the store, you should have brought a pair of socks from home knowing you went to the mall to try on shoes.

The associate should have asked if you preferred a sock or a nude stocking, but that store may not have had any. It is definitely not the associate's fault, nor the store's. The company is not worrying about complaints on unsanitary socks, they tend to focus on bigger matters.

It's simple, really. Don't wear the socks if you don't want to. No one forced you to put them on, it's merely an option to see how the shoe would feel with an actual sock rather than your naked foot. It is not Lady Foot Locker's fault that you decided to be a hassling customer and demand a fresh pair of socks without paying for them.

31st of Jul, 2011

Can't you read? Who is asking for new socks to put on? Nylon footies are what reputable shoe stores and department store shoe sales offer to customers. Did you see the words "spur of the moment" decision to purchase shoes??? Obviously you did not. Impulse shopping is what makes the economy go around. Hellooo, read before you decide to run your mouth off. And FYI there was no hassling going on and no one demanded a fresh pair of socks without paying for them. Keep in mind, it's the customers that keep you in your minimum wage profession. If customers are complaining, you should go to your division manager and let them know and even suggest they consider complimentary nylon footies like everyone else does. Why don't you go to college and see if it's not too late for you to learn to read and comprehend. LFL needs to focus on customer complaints or before long their business will fail. No big loss, except maybe to you, but I'm sure you can find another minimum wage job.

• Jb
      31st of Jul, 2011

the insulting of the employee doesnt help your case. really makes you look like a tool. if it werent for those "minimum wage workers", you wouldnt have a store to shop in to begin with.
    as you may have a point, for the simple attitude that you expressed i have the tendency to side with infinityandbeyond. as he/she said, they should have offered you a choice, sock/stocking. and as he/she also said, they may not have had any stockings at that time.
    my personal opinion is they shouldnt even have to offer you either option. most people expect it because of the simple fact that almost, if not all, stores offer them and its more of a convenience thing to offer.

31st of Jul, 2011

Sorry, I don't read illiteracy.

31st of Jul, 2011

And obviously you're brainless with nothing better to do than live on a complaint board and comment 463 times with one id and multiple comments with other ids. What a wonderful life you have. Knock youself out on this one. I'm done with illiteracy and ignorance.

• Jb
      31st of Jul, 2011

when the argument is lost, always insult the intelligence!

• In
      8th of Aug, 2011

Wow. I didn't realize idiocy could reach such heights. If there's no hassling like you say there is, then why did you take the time to file a complaint on a website, bad-mouthing a store that's been around for almost 20 years? If the store is not up to your standards just go shop somewhere else. It's honestly that easy. Our 5 billion dollar company doesn't really see a loss in being unable to retain one single narrow-minded customer such as you. There's been complaints everyday and have they closed down because of it? Obviously not.

And oh F.Y.I. Before you attempt to insult me some more: I'm 17, I managed to actually graduate high school a year early and get into USC. Who would've guessed somebody as incompetent as me, who supposedly "can't read", actually gets into college and is doing far more with her life than what you are doing now! It's amazing how much some peoples' minds work, and how others don't.

I think you're the one who needs to go back to college and learn how to read before you complain about a successful store and THEIR choice in what to do with socks. Not to mention remind yourself that minimum wage professions are (as jbfirebird said) where everybody starts, even you.

• Li
      26th of Dec, 2011

Wow, you people in defense of Lady Footlocker are insane. Lady footlocker is spreading disease with their filthy, disgusting, unsanitary socks. I have never been in an establishment that didn't offer disposable nylon socks for people to try their shoes on. You can get a hundred for a penny, so why not offer them for people that spend exorbitant prices for your shoes. This same thing happened to me and my family and I will never step foot in a LFL again. I agree, some people don't read before they run their loose stools of the mouth. Perhaps, they aren't competent enough to read. Has anyone every heard of MRSA, fungal and bacterial diseases of the feet? I would never put on socks that other people have had on their germ infested feet. A 17 year old has a lot to learn and shouldn't even be allowed to comment on a subject as such without supervision of an adult. A lot of intelligent people don't start at minimum wage professions. Grow up! Lady Footlocker should be fined for spreading contagious diseases and immature minors shouldn't be allowed to comment.

• El
      1st of Apr, 2013

I know this thread was a while ago... but the very last comment has made me need to say something.

"A 17 year old has a lot to learn and shouldn't even be allowed to comment on a subject as such without supervision of an adult."

Really? It's been a while since I was 17, but I do know I didn't need to have parental supervision to voice an opinion on something. This person has worked at the shoe store for almost a year and should have a pretty good understanding on the store. If not, berating him/her and just assuming they are an idiot isn't the way to teach. Explain why it's wrong. Give some information for the other person to take with them. This goes for most of the people here: Is this seriously how you talk to people in real life? If so, then maybe it's not the 17 year old that needs to learn about how the world works. Take a step back and look at how you're all acting. From my point of view the 17 year old acted as more of an adult than any of you. And before anyone asks, no I don't know anyone on the thread and don't work for LFL either. Just a person who is appalled by how others treat someone else.

• Li
      20th of Aug, 2013

How appropriate for elimsyxes to post on April Fools Day! elimsyxes could be renamed elohssa.