Ladies Workout Express / Direct debit even after contract ends

I joined this lovely gym with a one year contract; however, I outgrew its services & decided to join a full-service gym, so when my one year contract ended, which was paid 100% on time (never late), I called in to Ladies Workout Express to confirm that my contract will cease on Oct. 15th, 2006 & inquired as to whether or not I needed to do anything else to discontinue services. The employee informed me that there's nothing else to do & that services will cease once contract is up; however, I do have the option to maintain a client. On Nov 15th, 2006, I was charged a monthly fee from my bank. I disputed the charge with my bank as well as I called in to Ladies Workout Express which referred me to their 800# for National Fitness billing. The employees at the National Fitness billing are rude, inconsiderate & blatently harassing. I explained that my contract is up as of Oct 15th, 2006 & I no longer owe a monthly bill. I was told that they have the right to continue to collect monthly even after the contract is up. I proceeded to explain that I spoke with an employee at my local Ladies Workout Express facility & was told that there would be no more fees. The collectors at National Fitness could care less & continued with their speech of "THE CONTRACT STATES THAT WE CAN & WILL CONTINUE TO COLLECT ON A MONTHLY BASIS UNLESS THERE IS A WRITTEN STATEMENT TO DISCONTINUE SERVICES AFTER THE CONTRACT HAS ENDED". Needless to say, it's been a couple of months with continued efforts to dispute the fee & to no avail, neither Ladies Workout Express headquarters or local facilities have returned my call to discuss the issue any further. What a shame. I would be cautious about joining a gym that treats their clients as such. I am a consumer & I am held responsible for the inconsiderate acts of an incompetent employee who apparently misinformed me. I feel that the business should be held liable for their mistake and not the consumer.

Comments

1st of Aug, 2008

I belong to Ladies Workout Express. There is a place to check, on your agreement, if you DO NOT want to continue beyond the end of your agreement. If it is not checked you go month to month until you send a termination letter(this is explaned on your contract)