Ladies Workout Express / Cancellation being ignored

1 United States

I joined Ladies Workout Express when it opened in my area in August of 2004. The new owner signed me up for a 3 year contract stating that clause 9 on the back of the contract would allow me to cancel my membership at any time after 12 months without any penalty fees.

Unfortunately now the company refuses to recognize its own agreement even though the reason I want to cancel my contract is the local business has changed ownership and the new employees are very disturbing in behavior. How would you like to go try to work out and reach your "zone" while weirdo club owner sits on the machine across from you and just stares at you the entire time. I find the behavior creepy and offending, yet when I finally worked up enough demeanor to address the employees behavior she got irate with me and gave me her opinion in some pretty choice words.

I tolerated the behavior from the new employees for a little over two months before I quit going altogether. When I contacted the company by phone they told me I would have to cancel my membership locally and pay a fine to do so because I was terminating my contract prematurely. So, I purposely waited until I knew the nicest employee would be at the desk and I went in to cancel. She was very friendly about the cancellation and said she would explain my reason for cancelling to the manager and asked if they got rid of the employee I had an altercation with if I would return as a member because they have had many complaints about her.

Needless to say, here I am two months later with mean scary lady still employed and LWO still billing my credit card $35 per month. Then I got to thinking . . . this is probably how they want it. After all, who would want to get paid $35 a month for doing nothing and providing nothing in return for it.

I have yet to contact my credit card company to dispute any further charges but I figured I would start that process tomorrow along with a letter to the local BBB in hopes of saving would be future LWO the hassel and intimidation of joining a club that does not value its employees.