lacie / I urge everyone not to buy any Lacie products - they are faulty and there is no recourse if they break

I bought a Lacie hard drive while on business in Dubai. When I returned, I found out that the drive was faulty and would not even switch on. However as it was not purchased in SA, no local reseller will fix it without permission from Lacie head office. I wrote to Lacie in early July & the response has been nothing short of shocking! The best solution they have offered me with after THREE months is that I should send the faulty product back to them in France at my own expense. When I told them that this was unrealistic as it would be a significant cost (over & above the cost of the hard drive which I have been unable to use), they simply told me that that was all they could do. I have not even been able to turn on the product, and because Lacie have taken so long to respond, I have been forced to go and buy another hard drive (another brand of course) in order to continue with my work. ALL they need to do is to speak to one of their local resellers and ask them to fix the product however this seems to be too much effort for Lacie - who clearly have no concern for their customers. I urge everyone not to buy any Lacie products - they are faulty and there is no recourse if they break.

More lacie Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Pm
      1st of Jul, 2012

I can confirm all this, because my first 1TB external drive became faulty after only 40 Hours and Lacie was unable to recovery the drive and the data on it. The second Hard disk (guaranteed replacement), 2 TB, seemed to be working correctly (100 hours in total) and I saved 1, 5 TB of very precious data on it and I put in a conditioned safe. After 2 years, for the first time I switched on the drive because I needed to find some documents from the recovered data, but the 2TB Lacie HD is dead like its predecessor.
    Very reassuring as a recovery unit. The only answer from Lacie to say that they have a very attractive ability to recovery data from Lacie crashed HD, for only 400 euros (interesting Chinese commercial policy).
    Fortunately I got cheap Maxtor and Verbatim external HD as well and I have no complaints to report.
    cotella.p@alice.it (Italy)