LA Fitness / illegal behavior

CA, United States Review updated:

In this are my reasons for canceling with LA Fitness that I feel you need to be informed about. It is a real horror story that I fear will happen to more members presenting LA Fitness with trouble and a major lost in trust for the company. In October 2009 Both I and my fiancé wanted to join LA Fitness at the monthly membership fee of $30.00 a month. After much thought and consideration we decided to go in to sign up. We were nicely shown the premises by a staff member and found the facilities satisfactory.
Then we were quickly sat down at a table and talked to about the membership. We flatly said we just wanted a regular monthly membership nothing more. Then we were asked our goals for getting in to shape. I said my plan was to actually try to put on weight and mussel bulk because I have a very lean and tall frame . My fiancé just wanted to tone up nothing drastic. We were then quickly made to feel that there was a lot wrong with our bodies so our self esteem would be lowered. The membership process quickly turned into a negotiation that we should sign up for personal trainers. Before we could say anything another man sat down who was The training general manager (if you would like his name I would feel free to tell you)and started estimating monthly payments for personal trainers. We were baffled at how astronomical the prices were and quickly said no .He continued to say that our work outs and goals would be worthless without help from a trainer.
Since I was pretty serious about reaching my goal for an ideal body I finally let my guard down and became more interested. He made lots of promises that I would be so satisfied with my body that any price would be worth it. I was still very hesitant about the price and wanted to leave .He then wrote down and showed me that he could give me an “amazing” offer but only if I took it right away. I still basically said no thank you. Then he said what is it because you do not have the enough money ? I dumbly said with out thinking, Yeah I have money I’m waiting for a huge check actually. His eyes then turned to dollar signs I was just too naive to notice it at the time. He then offered me another deal and after much sweet talking I agreed to think about it. Since I hadn’t received my check yet it would have to be a couple days till I signed up for a trainer anyway. But then I received calls on my cell phone from the training general manager bluntly asking if I had received my check yet… because he would get in trouble from his boss for the “great” deal he was going to give me. He said I could pay a portion of the down payment right away so I could still get the deal that way he wouldn’t get in trouble. If this happened to me now I would say why the heck is it any of your business when I get my check. At the time though I didn’t want the guy to get in trouble because of me. So I went in and paid a portion of the down payment. While I was there I was then again asked if I had received my check or when I would. The calls also persisted until the day I actually did get my check and finished the down payment for the personal training sessions.
I was then rushed through the contract, he barley even let me touch the thing and just read what he thought was important . Also I found out that he only explained half of the truth about the cancellation and that the contract is very poorly written. I found this out when for some reason I received a call from a woman with LA Fitness 3 days later asking if I understood the terms of the contract and if I knew that I would have to pay 50% of the remaining balance to get out of it(50% of balance = a couple grand). I said no actually I did not know that, but that’s just great you tell me when I already signed.
Everything was down hill after that …I had training sessions canceled by the trainer even though they were made prior according to my busy schedule. The trainers were to lazy to bother to write down my work out routine in my issued La Fitness trainers notebook for my reference as well for the other trainers .Every time I went to a session I was handed off to a different trainer who had no prior knowledge of my fitness routines or goals. When I wanted to stay with one certain trainer they would try to plan the sessions for when was convenient for them not me. I was also told very many things by many different trainers about how long it take me to gain the mussel weight every thing from 3 months to a year. I was ignored on the parts of the body I wanted to work out. I also feel I was told to do work outs that would purposefully make my goal take longer so I would need the training longer. My favorite thing that happened was that guy who was so persistent in keeping track on me for when I got my check forgot to schedule me for a session I made with him prior… he was just to lazy to remember to write me in. When I told other people who belonged to other gyms how much I was paying they laughed. I was seriously paying half of my income and I never saw much result I was becoming more tone but not gaining bulk which was the whole point .I became so depressed and broke in fact I stopped going to the gym all together even though I was paying tons of money just because I resented it so much. It truly was one of the worst decisions of my life even though it should have been one of the best. The people knew they were taking advantage of a young couple because they thought we were gullible not because they actually wanted to help us in any way. I take responsibility for the decision I made and I had to pay for that decision by throwing thousands of dollars away for nothing .I hope LA Fitness cleans up there act before someone takes action a lot harder then me and it’s just a matter of time before someone does.

Ad

Comments

• Wa
      14th of May, 2011

I was asked the same question: "You don't have anough money?" at the gym here in Bristol, Connecticut when I told him I wanted to think about it. It must be part of their sale's pitch. I thought it was RUDE! I am on social security disability and I have to think hard before spending my money.

I hope they change their sale's tactics soon!

• Ju
      7th of Dec, 2014

The LA fitness in riverside ca on Arlington favors Hispanics and if you complain about policies being broken by other members...they do nothing. I INFORMED 2 PEOPLE THAT YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO WEAR STREET CLOTHES IN THE POOL AND ALSO CHILDREN ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN POOL. I SAID IT IN SPANISH AND ENGLISH AND POLITELY TOLD THE MEMBERS I LET MANAGEMENT KNOW SO THEY WOULD BE AWARE I COMPLAINED. MANAGEMENT BREAKS THE RULES FOR SOME...BUT MOST PAY N MEET THE RULES TO BE GOOD STANDING MEMBERS. THE HISPANIC MANAGER BASICALLY SAID I WAS HARASSING THEM...BUT THEY NEVER DID THEIR JOB. I AM POLITE N UNDERDTAND DIFFERENT LANGUAGES' ANF I FOLLOW THE RULES AND I AM FAIR TO OTHER MEMBERS. I WITNESSED 5 CAUCASIAN MEMBERS NOT COMPLETE THEIR WOROUT IN YHE POOL BECAUSE 2 UNDERAGE KIDS WERE PLAYING IN TJE EORKOUT LANES. LOVE KIDS...THEY TURNED MY COMPLAINT INTO LIES AND PEOPLE ARE AFRAID TO COMPLAIN BECAUSE DISCRIMINATION...SEEMS LIKE DISCRIMINATION IS TOWARDS CAUCASIAN OR MAYBE CORPORATE RULES SHOULD BE CHANGED TO SAY...WE WANT YOUR MONEY AND RULES DO MOT MATTER AND IF YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT OUR POLICIES'...TOO BAD 🙅 WE LET OUR EMPLOYEES BREAK THE RULES AND YOUR HARASSING OTHERS... CAUSE WE DO NOT CARE...HMMMM I CSLLED THE LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT TO WATCH ME TO MY 🚗 AFTER ALL BEING A LEGAL ENGLISH SPEAKING CITIZEN IS NOE ILLEGAL...LAW SUIT...ANYONE WANT TO JOIN IN...CALL ME 9517100065