LA Fitness / personal training program is the worst!

I have utilized personal trainers for the last 6-7 years. When a new LA Fitness opened in my town with a beautiful facility I switched my membership and signed up for their personal training program. I had a great trainer the first few weeks and then one week I went in and was told she was sick, the next week I was told she stood me up and the third week the receptionist finally whispered to me that she had been fired because she did not know how to run their computer system. I complained to management and they set me up with another trainer. I had a couple of sessions with him but he was disinterested and just going through the motions and I could never get a regular schedule set up. Then I ask for a different trainer and approached one who had just started. Before I could schedule a session she was gone. I tried in vain to cancel but as you know from previous posts, you can never never get a straight answer and the customer service is the worst. I was told to write letters and then was told that was not enough because the letters were not certified. Then I got another session and was stood up. And it happened again. And bottom line is I had to pay for a year of training when they could not provide me with an early morning trainer and did not even care enough to follow up when they knew I was being stood up. ( about 6-7 times) They are the WORST!

Comments

22nd of Jan, 2008

Question for you -- did you have any trouble ending your Body of Change membership after the year? I've heard that can be a problem sometimes.

8th of May, 2008

I am a member in Atlanta, Ga. at the Akers Mill location. I have had nothing but good experiences. The trainers are excellent!

I think that, as in every contract, you need to understand what you are getting. Also, be proactive with potential problems. Communicate with everyone involved and be patient!

8th of May, 2008

I love my LA Fitness and the trainers! Thank you for helping me to shape up!!

• Pr
      6th of Aug, 2008

LA fitness have horrible training and it is almost impossible to cancel the membership! LETS FIGHT BACK!I WORK IN PR I GOT CONNECTIONS!

I joined LA fitness December 07 and had my free personal training session where that idiot of trainer told me to lose 10-20 pounds...Im 5'8" tall and 125 pounds...WTF!
    I yelled at him and told him that I will never come back again, because one of my best friends nearly died because of an eating disorder.

So, the next day they called me to ask if I was alright and I said no and that I wanted to cancel the membership immediately.After trying to convince me to stay they finally agreed to send me the form. I never received anything, so I called them and they said I should go online. I did, but i didn't wanna set up an account so I called them again and the lady told me that the problem will be solved. they will call me back.
    because I was graduating I didn't have the time to follow up with them.

when I canceled in MAY(!!!) my Swiss credit card they started calling me non stop. then I realized that they have been using my card all the time, because I was so stupid to slide my card once over there!Since then I was sent from one place to the other and apparently all their printers are out of order...sure, but they still can print out applications!!!

I'm working for a PR guy and he discovered in 1989 a major scam with the parking meters in LA where the city had to pay over 15 million dollars back to the people that got parking tickets at manipulated parking meters. He is very well connected and we are going to the media now. If you want to be part of it let me know.I'm trying to collect as many angry people as possible!

• Ck
      14th of Apr, 2011

I wish I would have seen this sooner... I signed up at LA fitness and for persoanl training, they were very untruthfull and I cancelled both the member ship and personal training after 3 days.. in the last week they have managed to wipe out my checking account and owe me close to $1600 due to debiting my account over and over.. The managers at Akers Mill are very rude and customer service isnt much better, they should be kissing my feet for the amount of money the took from me... it could take up to 15 days to get my money back and thats not right.. this has to be a world record, 1600 dollars for a 4 day membership... I am still waiting for my money and have also contacted a law firm to see if there are any class action lawsuits against them in GA or how I can start one so this does not happen to anyone else... DO NOT JOIN LA FITNESS APRIL 14th 2011...

24th of Jul, 2012

I live in San Diego, CA and had an active membership with Bally's Fitness until LA Fitness brought them out. The good thing was they didn't increase my original membership fee which i had with Bally's Fitness. My monthly fee is $19.99. For a while I had a good relationship with LA Fitness. None of the other staff ever bothered me which was good. I enjoyed pretty much just going to different LA Fitness Centers and having a nice quiet workout. One time, I was approached by a Personal Trainer at one of the centers. he gave me a 1 day complementary workout session. Then he tried to get me to get into one of their personal training program but he never pressured me or tried to con me in anyway to get it. So I left it at that. So for the next 3 months I have been going to 2 different LA Fitness Centers until the date of 7/15/12 when i went to another location here in San Diego. When I went in to that new location, one of their personal trainers had approached me while I was working out in one of the treadmills. We had a good conversation going and he appeared to really give me good advice and suggestions on how to work out properly. Then he gave me a complementary workout sessions with him and after it was over, he escorted me to his desk and offered me one of their Personal Trainers Program. Anyways, to make a long story short, I foolishly signed a contract which i later regretted because of financial situation. I tried to cancel and the other PT tried so hard to get me not to cancel. Then after working out, I returned to his little office and there was the main manger of the Center informing me I was too late to cancel. I had informed them i was not working very much and needed to cancel but she pretty much said there was nothing they could do. So here i am stuck with their PT agreement. They already took out $149 initiation fee plus the 1st months fee of $70. Now I am very angry and upset because i feel that personal trainer singled me out that day because of the color of my skin. I never once saw him approach another member at the center like a fellow Caucasian. Only me, a low-income Hispanic male. So pretty much I feel he conned me and there now nothing i can do. I do not hate LA Fitness, only the one which i was screwed over here in San Diego, CA

• Un
      10th of Sep, 2012

I have nearly a year's worth of training sessions built up due to surgeries which prevented me from working out. When I returned to restart with my personal trainer she was no longer there and there was no one to train me early in the morning. So, I agreed to come in the evenings despite the inconveniene to say the least. I was provided with a great trainer. Apparently, he received a raise/promotion and I was told I needed to upgrade to keep him. Mind you I've paid for a year's worth of sessions. It's called extortion and its BS. Oh, sure there's some BS in the contract that they only agree to provide "a trainer." I'm so angry I could spit. This isn't over.