LA Fitness / confessions of a former la fitness employee

Former LA Fitness Employee:

After reading the numerous complaints on this board I feel the need to coroborate many of the issues facing LA Fitness. I want to first ofer my "inside" details of how LA Fitness operates its business. Let's begin with mangement or the lack of.

LA Fitness does not offer any formal training nor does it provide continuing education in the crucial area of managing personnel. LA Fitness also uses a very narrow metric for promotion within its manager ranks. This simple metric used is “sales” if you’re a great salesman you get promoted. That is it! Also, LA Fitness draws heavily from an employment pool lacking in maturity. Many of their "GM's" are simply children doing the work an adult should be doing. But paying adults appropriately would cut into Mr Welch building his new mutli million dollar house in Malibu California. Yep, its the truth folks. Same Wall Street menatality at LA Fitness.

As a customer, please don't put your health or your money in the hands of people who do not care about you after you've provided them a credit/debit card or check. Not to mention many of the people selling memebrships or personal training are not properly trained or educated to give anyone advice related to health and fitness. Also, these "agreements" that management likes to call are "contracts" don't be duped into their snake oil salesman type selling. Once you've swiped your card you're pretty much history regarding any value added customer service.

Another issue facing LA Fitness is their high turnover. I'm sure many of you have seen this at the clubs you frequent. How many times have you had a differnet trainer over the course of several months? If you're the average LA Fitness customer odds are you are likely to have 3-5 trainers during the course of your "contract." Why is this? Simply put, LA Fitness doesn't give two red cents about its employees. That coupled with there "creative" ways they have employees "punch in" for compensation has always been a source of confussion for its employees. Just ask an employee to explain it you. They're always looking for a way to screw their employees to save a few cents while their poor cusotmer service issue is left like a festering sore. Another tid bit worth mentioning, LA Fitness management would prefer the trainer not to call his/her clients if they are out sick. Why?????? Because some district manager gets a nice cut from the number of people who have walked through the door. Disgusting, isn't it?!?! So, they would rather a scheduled client come through the door angry than to have been notified by the trainer.

All things considered, I could not, would not recommend LA Fitness as a place for employment. Nor could I recommend it as a service to purchase. And all the previous complaints I've read are true. The stories I have heard and witneesed are dispicable on all levels of business. And to Mr Welch of LA Fitness, I hope the home you're building is close to a cliff! You F N SOB!!!

Ja
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• La
      10th of Mar, 2018

I like the LA FITNESS GYM. I joined last year 2017 and joined the facility in Waldorf, Md. The gym itself is nice, and I like the classes such as spin cycle, Zumba and power circuit and Aqua Fit. I also like the fact that it is month to month and I am not locked into a long contract. However, if you JOIN LA Fitness do not sign up for a fitness assessment. That is just a ploy by the sales department to get you to sign up for personal training and that locks you into a contract. That is how they got me. I signed up because I wanted to go to the next level in my fitness and wanted to make sure that when I lift weights I am doing the correct form and plus I thought getting a trainer would help me lower my body fat consumption faster and tone up and help me reach my goals faster. However, this past 10 months, of personal training has been a total waste of my damn time and $. I signed up for 12 months worth of sessions because it was cheaper. however, you are locked into a year and if you are not satisfied and cancel you have to pay out the difference of what you owe which I am not trying to do. The trainer they set me up with was slack, lazy and all he has done is put me on cardio equipment and I told him several times that I do not want to waste 25 minutes of my season doing cardio because I do Zumba, Aqua Fit and other cardio several days a week and during my sessions on want to focus more on strength training and weight lifting but he continued to put me on cardio equipment so I fired him and asked the sales manager for another trainer. I hope this trainer will be better. I only have sessions left until May so I am going to ride them out but once my sessions run out and my contract is up I will never use a trainer there again. The trainers are a bunch of inexperience trainers who just got certified and have never worked at any other gym before. Some are even trainee's and don't have a cert and from what I understand any [censor] can pass the certification test and not be a trainer. They have Master Trainers who are considered expert but they cost a fortune depending on how often you meet with them and they are hard to get. LA Fitness itself is nice and they have a nice sauna, whirlpool and offer Aqua fit classes but the personal training sucks and is a waste of time and I could have gotten better results training on my own. I recently started training with trainers at the company building I work at. the training is free as a company perk and I have to say that LA Fitness trainers have nothing on the trainers at the building I work at. They are much more attentive, they are organize and really work with you on your form. and they are free. If I had known this I would have never wasted my damn $ on these piss poor trainers at LA Fitness. La FITNESS management, if you are on this forum you really need to make sure the trainers you hire are experience and not just have a certification. Also, you need to school them on being professional. the guy I had was so unprofessional that half the time he was testing on his cell phone while I was working out and not watching my form at all and sticking me on cardio machines so he can play with his phone. What a waste of time.

• Fo
      26th of Jan, 2017

As a former employee of L.A. Fitness at two different facilities in Maryland, I can honestly convey the failed leadership of this company. Both L.A. Fitness gyms were operated under very poor management and unacceptable conditions. Further, the unsanitary conditions in the restrooms, group fitness rooms and main floor were embarrassing. Communication from the group fitness director was very inconsistent and poor. Certain instructors were creating a juvenile hostile environment behind the scenes, joking about it, and creating controversy where none existed. Whereas other instructors maintained professionalism at all times. As such, a few of our best group fitness instructors resigned due to the ongoing egregious issues surrounding. I personally witnessed many members complain about the lack of cleanliness in the restrooms with the GM, only to be ignored and not addressed by the GM at that time. Equipment in group fitness classes used and damaged by other employees who did not have authorization to use the equipment, yet the damage was blamed on instructors who weren't even present in the gym that day. Moreover, when a few of us offered to address these ongoing issues with corporate, we were shunned and disregarded. We even offered to organized a meeting with a power point presentation to highlight why both gyms consistently received a 1 star rating out of 5. But again, corporate disregarded our offer to fly out and meet with these so called suits. L.A. Fitness leaves behind a strong evidence-based record of failed leadership and demonstrates their focus on membership numbers only regardless of countless complaints by members and employees. Myself and a few others who resigned from this company are surprised there aren't more lawsuits pending against L.A. Fitness. Shame on this corporation for bad faith conduct and not honoring their own rules and procedures.

• Ti
      18th of Jan, 2017

Absolutely true, in La Fitness there are so many rude unprofessional Activities directors for Gr.exrcise department with leader in CA Lean Kleine, non stop hiring extremely rude unprofessional Regional Directors one by one-East Coast Lean Kleine, who creates stories, gossips etc, no one responsible to fire her from her position, she does what she wants, chaos absolute chaos.Particularly Virginia branches, instead of hard work and appreciation and gratitude for subbing classes they woul rudely screem call, bother, very, very rude or create untruthful stories .Sad very sad to see this type of operation still in business!Hopefully with new Law and rules, there will be fired many and many of employees of these VA gyms.

• Fo
      26th of Jan, 2017

@Tiktik I would have to agree with your comment.

• St
      26th of Dec, 2016

LA Fitness has the rudest most arrogant managers ever. I had never worked in the Corporate environment before, 20 years in the fire service. I became a spin instructor and enjoyed being able to help the members that were so often let down by instructors either not showing up, fired or just sick of LA fitness bull####. They pay $12 for a spin class??? Then they wonder why nobody stays, Actually I correct myself, they don't wonder because they don't care. I wish for 2017 they finally go out of business!!!

• St
      26th of Dec, 2016

You are writing in fear of losing your job. Just google LA Fitness in the realm of gyms. My wife is a fitness and wellness director in the private sector country club environment. She states that LA has the worst reputation in the industry. They've had so many lawsuits it's not even funny. You should be the first one drug tested as it's very clear you used the crack pipe before putting fingers to the keyboard.

• Tt
    LA Fitness - Avoid them
    LA Fitness

While attending L.A. Fitness in Burnsville, MN, I was sucked into the personal training by being tricked into signing a contract that I wasn't offered to read. It was a high pressure gimmick, but I accepted my bad luck and tried to make the best of it. I then began receiving awful training sessions, but was told that there was nothing that could be done for me. I was 'given' the option of freezing my account (of where I was still charged a fee) but poor quality staff did not document such freezing and money was continuously taken out of my account. When confronted, they would not even refund the money that was taken from me and would not help me with my complaint. AVOID THIS COMPANY and you will not lose your money or become taken advantage of! The well being of the customer is not of concern, but only money and upholding pointless contracts!

• Sp
    LA Fitness - Cancellation Troubles
    Connecticut

The credit card that was on file for my membership had expired. When contacted concerning the expiration, I informed the man on the phone that I also wanted to cancel my membership. He said, "no problem, lets get this card number to cover the last months dues and then I will go ahead and cancel. I received an e-mail stating that my membership was up to date, so I contacted him and he said, "don't worry about that, it is all taken care of for you." Needless to say he lied and I kept getting charged. I contacted my local gym and the girl told me she would take care of it and put in a request to return the charges. Of course that wasn't true either. No matter what anybody tells you, make sure any mailing are certified and you get names and documentation for everything. I will never recommend LA Fitness to anybody, based solely on their business practices.

• Ye
    LA Fitness - Legal scam
    LA Fitness

This place is like Hotel California.

"You can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave"...I cancelled my membership in 2006 at least I thought so until they told me thay had been garnishing my wifes bank account for years without us know it. Now conveniently there's no proof that they got any cancellation and we are out the money...Dont worry LA Fitness you'll get whats coming to you...if this business is still open by the end of the year, then I'll have no faith left in humanity...I vow to fight LA Fitness until I die.

• Al
    La Fitness Liverpool - Debit account and cash back
    Liverpool
    England, Merseyside
    United Kingdom
    www.lafitness.com

Take care! LA fitness offer cash back after 3 months of regular acceptance for you get in there. It is not true; they do not give that and happened with other friends as well. Direct Debit account: do not allow that! Even when you are no longer part of the gym, they keep debiting your account and think it was just by chance, but they are not willing to refund you soon. So, you get a big, very big headache.

Honestly, I do not recommend this company; they do not follow what they offered to get you involved.

• Sm
    LA Fitness - Thieves
    LA Fitness

I have had my money taken since I signed for a membership

I have called corporate and they would not refund my money

An employee wrongfully used my billing information for

someone else and the fitness center wants me to file

criminal charges against that individual when this person

did not give them my information, I did. Then they said

that employee was no longer withtheir company, and the

contract they showed me did not have my signiture.

I am getting a lawer but you woyuld thing they would

really look in to this.thank you. look in to this!

• Co
    La Fitness, Montery Park, Ca - Handing of Staff
    California

Manager would call one of her staff useless, I would hear her call her this many times. Why would a manager regard her staff members in such a way. The poor girl you could see she wanted to cry, but what could she do. Then one day I saw them in a argument, the manager had gone through the same girls phone and had read her text messages. What kind of person does this. As of a week ago I haven't seen that poor girl. She was always so helpful and pleasant. Where do they get these mangers is there no training. Why do we paid for a service. And see behavior like this in a public place.

• Me
      29th of Aug, 2016
    LA Fitness - The place is horrible!
    LA Fitness

I've been an unhappy member of the LA Fitness in Huntingdon Valley, PA since it opened in 2002. The classes are the SAME exact ones all this time!!! There's no new stuff, nothing fresh. No access to equipment in aerobic room unless you are using it during one of their boring classes. The place is filthy...run out of paper towels and hand sanitizer on a regular basis. Equipment is broken forever and not well maintained. Machines get "stuck" while using them or have rusty parts. I only stay a member because of the convienent location. Currently the rug on one of the stairs is ripped and secured with TAPE! Accident waiting to happen.

• Sp
      29th of Aug, 2016
    LA Fitness - No customer support!
    Los Angeles
    California

I started with LA Fitness as a regular gym member. About early August 2010, I decided to sign up with a personal trainer. Their strong-arm type sales tactics coerced me into getting a 12 month term with 3 appointments per week even though I clearly stated that I was not a very athletic person and such a commitment was likely to be too much. They "assured" me that we were flexible with training, contracts, etc.

At the start of the second month, they have been completely unresponsive in scheduling training, trainer being late, and charging me for sessions that I had canceled.

I had to change my entire work schedule to simply go to the gym. I went a few days later to the gym and spoke with the manager. I politely explained the situation and asked how I could go about canceling my contract. I was told there was none and I was on the hook for the entire amount; about $3k. At that point, I was upset and let her know that I would be filing a complaint. Her reaction was jaw dropping after she stated, "I don't care what you do, it’s not my problem."

Wait, it gets worse. I have been still struggling to go to these unavailable sessions at which point my credit card could not be billed. I told them that I would pay for the invoice due once I arrived next time at the gym. Since then, they have literally been hounding me every day to pay the bill. Not only that, they are threatening at various levels to report me to collections and other systems.

I just want to be done with them.

• Te
    LA Fitness - Personal training set-up and cancellation of membership
    Texas

My father was tricked into signing a one year contract with LA Fitness. He is quite old and has a serious heart condition. The personal trainer at LA Fitness charged his credit card for unwanted services, such as personal training sessions which he cannot handle because he is diabetic and has a weak heart. We tried to cancel his membership by complaining to the manager and all he said was that this situation is like buying a car and even if you do not use the car you will still be charged for it. His explanation was totally absurd. The manager did not apologize for his employee's deception. My father did not want these services in the first place. Right now we are pursuing legal action to get our money back.

14th of Mar, 2016

Badgered by salesman as I am trying to work out. I refuse to answer his sales pitch and ignore him.
    He says OK be that way and proceeded to challenge me to a fight.
    Yells out OK keep walking...like some punk would do in High School.
    Bizarro behavior from LA fitness employees.
    Spoke with girl at front and will be in contact with manager as well as corporate.
    Will terminate membership and drop card account is billed from.

• Vi
      11th of Dec, 2015

"How could she come up to that decision without trying to coach me more, so I can do a better job"

• Vi
      11th of Dec, 2015

I agree with you 100% I am also an employee with LA fitness and the OM fired me last Tuesday because she said I messed up thier job because I didn't transfer the call to a sales person. I worked at the front desk and I did everything except the transfer only because on the link the sales person is unavailable. The OM didn't give me a verbal warning she just fired me that day for poor performance, I always come on time, greet members in a polite friendly manner while making calls or answering calls, and even though I worked part time I never failed to give her commission for making clear ups. How could she come to that decision without trying to coach me more do I nod a better job. I feel discriminated.

• Na
      11th of Dec, 2015

The Aventura, Florida branch of LA Fitness s---s. The management of LA Fitness s----s. The Trainers at LA Fitness s---k. If you want a truly bad experience, join the LA Fitness in Aventura. I speak from experience. They call you a liar, when you make a report and they side with the trainers. LA Fitness Aventura gives you goofball explanations. A woman sitting across the two lanes of the track: Low blood sugar. Of course, the trainer was just sitting watching her. Saying, "I am training her" instead of administering help at the Aventura LA Fitness. They care about new members for a week or two and then you are just the rabble to be run over with discourteous behavior and stupid excuses. The Training Supervisor said he never saw me before I must be new. I said I was a member since 2002. He said "No your not" I never saw you before and I have been here for 14 years. Funny, I only saw him for the past 2 years. They are nasty over there. All I wanted was for them to keep the track free from debris, weights, and of course people going the wrong way with their trainers. Instead of getting support I got resistance.

11th of Dec, 2015

Its unfortunate that your not taking responsibility for the fact that you have a poor attitude. If you really worked at LAFITNESS and understood that our mission statement is "To take Every single LAFITNESS member from where they are now in terms of Fitness and Functional mobility to where they want to be in the Safest Fasted most enjoyable way possible" Then you would know that we want Everyone to be serviced and helped.
    That does require EFFORT and WORK, some enroll in training some don't, that is ok because we will help Every member get a great start on their
    Health and wellness goals to get the RESUlTS that they want.
    You are MISINFORMED on ALL of this, we DON'T do fingerprints, unless of course your talking about your prior experience in jail, that's NOT US!
    All of our Trainers ARE NATIONALLY CERTIFIED, or not hired.
    I suspect your a lier...
    SELAH...

• Tr
      8th of Nov, 2015

I am a current employee and the club I work with is the worst! I started in NJ and now work in NYC. I have lost 3 PTD's two have quit and one was fired. My current PTD is a woman I've had major issues with since she started working at the club 11 months ago as a PT Counselor. I have been threatened, harassed not just by this woman but, members of the club she is friendly with. My General Manager and Operations Manger does nothing, my VP hasn't done anything and for the 1st time since I've been working with LA I receive a write up full of lies that date back to March when she was counselor. I am a group trainer and one of the few trainers left who started when the club opened up. I have clients who will gladly leave with me if I go. I have never been disrespected in all my life and I served in the army. They don't go over the contract clearly, they lie about sessions, they don't tell you when your contract is up, most if not all PT counselors don't know a thing about fitness and to cancel forget about it.