LA Fitness / confessions of a former la fitness employee

Former LA Fitness Employee:

After reading the numerous complaints on this board I feel the need to coroborate many of the issues facing LA Fitness. I want to first ofer my "inside" details of how LA Fitness operates its business. Let's begin with mangement or the lack of.

LA Fitness does not offer any formal training nor does it provide continuing education in the crucial area of managing personnel. LA Fitness also uses a very narrow metric for promotion within its manager ranks. This simple metric used is “sales” if you’re a great salesman you get promoted. That is it! Also, LA Fitness draws heavily from an employment pool lacking in maturity. Many of their "GM's" are simply children doing the work an adult should be doing. But paying adults appropriately would cut into Mr Welch building his new mutli million dollar house in Malibu California. Yep, its the truth folks. Same Wall Street menatality at LA Fitness.

As a customer, please don't put your health or your money in the hands of people who do not care about you after you've provided them a credit/debit card or check. Not to mention many of the people selling memebrships or personal training are not properly trained or educated to give anyone advice related to health and fitness. Also, these "agreements" that management likes to call are "contracts" don't be duped into their snake oil salesman type selling. Once you've swiped your card you're pretty much history regarding any value added customer service.

Another issue facing LA Fitness is their high turnover. I'm sure many of you have seen this at the clubs you frequent. How many times have you had a differnet trainer over the course of several months? If you're the average LA Fitness customer odds are you are likely to have 3-5 trainers during the course of your "contract." Why is this? Simply put, LA Fitness doesn't give two red cents about its employees. That coupled with there "creative" ways they have employees "punch in" for compensation has always been a source of confussion for its employees. Just ask an employee to explain it you. They're always looking for a way to screw their employees to save a few cents while their poor cusotmer service issue is left like a festering sore. Another tid bit worth mentioning, LA Fitness management would prefer the trainer not to call his/her clients if they are out sick. Why?????? Because some district manager gets a nice cut from the number of people who have walked through the door. Disgusting, isn't it?!?! So, they would rather a scheduled client come through the door angry than to have been notified by the trainer.

All things considered, I could not, would not recommend LA Fitness as a place for employment. Nor could I recommend it as a service to purchase. And all the previous complaints I've read are true. The stories I have heard and witneesed are dispicable on all levels of business. And to Mr Welch of LA Fitness, I hope the home you're building is close to a cliff! You F N SOB!!!

Ja

Comments

• Po
      25th of Jan, 2011

How could they garnish your wife's bank account for years without her knowing?

• Ye
      7th of Feb, 2011

I have worked with LA Fitness for 5 months now. I work in the kidz club at 8 bucks an hour. Not only was I never told anything about the benefits I was not given any of the papers I signed when I first applied and I was not able to read anything before I signed( that was bad on my part but the manager is to blame too.) The manager told me he was in a hurry and if I could just sign on the electronic pad and he would read it to me.
    The manager at my place is so rude not only to the employees but to the members as well. He was just given a promotion to some position where he is in charge of the complaints customers have. I have heard him on the phone and he is so rude if I was a member I would quit just because I don’t pay money to someone to be treated the way he treats members.
    He also has the employees lie about our hours so he looks good. If a child's parent is late picking them up and we have to stay pass 8:00pm we put that we stayed late so let’s say 8:15 he wants us to put it back and he tells us to make up the time another day and come in late 15 mins. I don’t feel it is right to lie on a time card and I am taking the risk of getting fired. I went two whole pay periods before I could make it up.
    He also has no care about the safety of the child as long as he does not have a parent yelling at him. He finally had to fire an employee because I told him a parent was going to go over his head and bring problems for him for letting a employee he knew shock babies still work there. He should have been fired years ago.
    I was never told by anyone I could work out for free I was told nothing. My manager has never told me about any heath benefits and my co worker has worked there for over 6 years and she also knows nothing of any health benefits either.
    We are never reimbursed for any money we put out of our own pockets for the children. I buy coloring books and toys. If you think the kidz club is clean you are wrong nothing gets sterilized it is covered in germs. So many of the toys are licked and sucked by children and they go back into the toy box that way. We are not given sanitizer, and if we buy it we don’t get reimbursed for it. I have called out sick once since working there and I was not paid for it because I am a part time employee.
    My manager has not spoken to me in over a month, I walk pass him every day he ignores me. He is the most unfriendly individual. Parents are always complaining to me but what can I do about it. He also is always yelling profanity in the gym so members are always hearing him. A manager should never be talking the way he does to employees.
    In December I was asked to come in and do fingerprints and fill out all this important paper work with my personal information on it with SSN, address, weight, height, and phone numbers, I came in on my day off and I did everything. A few days later my manager comes in to the kids club and says I never gave him the paper work, I reply with yes I did and you photo copied it. He said the company must have lost it could I travel on my time off to redo the process at the finger print place. I had a double shift that day and I had to be back to work in a few hours I get home and I called the finger print company to ask them why and how could you lose my personal information. and they were upset with me that I was accusing them of a serious issue, they called up my manager to talk to him, well it comes out that my manager lost the important paper work not them and the finger print company did not need me for anything he need the paperwork. So somewhere out there in the gym or wherever is my person information which could be used for identity theft. I was so mad he was going to waste my day and all he needed was the paper work I had at home (my copy), I went into work and gave him everything and he acts like is no big deal. Other companies would have paid for a company to watch my identity in case someone steals it, not him he acts like whatever his problem is gone.
    I also hate when the sales people bring potential members into the kids club and lie to them saying we all CPR certified and TB tested. We are not; I was never told I had to be, so if your kid chokes he is out of luck because I can’t save him I would try my best.
    I use to be a member at LA fitness years ago and I had a personal trainer he told me that not all of the personal trainers are actually certified some of them were trying to be but they were not at the time certified. My personal trainer saved a person’s life because he saw the signs of a stroke a member was having and that member had a personal trainer and that trainer was clueless.
    The machines at the gym are so old I think they are the originals. The YMCA has way newer machines. Most of the times the parents come into complain that the treadmill is broken.
    I have never worked at a company that is so unorganized and so unprofessional. I am not even given my pay slip because I have direct deposit, they said just go on to the computers at work and look at it. I should not have to go on to a work computer to look at my pay slip I should be able to access that information at home too. But I know that I should be given a pay slip. I waited four months before doing direct deposits because of knowing you did not get pay slips and they are always screwing up hours. I finally had enough of waiting a week for my pay check because my manager forgot to give it to me. I should not have to wait a week before getting my pay check. I was just told a few weeks ago you could access on the work computer when pay days would be. I was never trained or given any details of the job, all they cared about was that I could handle kids. I like the people I work within the kids club. The sales people are shady but that is a sales person for you.
    I might seem naïve but I honestly need a job that can work around my school schedule and it gives me an extra 200 dollars month. My biggest pay check was a little over 300 dollars, I am not making the big bucks I know but I should not be treated like crap either. I think it is a lot of reasonability to look after children and I think we are being taken advantage. The kids club is 15 dollars a month for your children to be there two hours every day and during the week you can come morning and evening for a total of four hours a day, which is nothing. 24 hours is more expensive but maybe there employees are CPR certified.
    Tip: Sales people are always pissing the kids club attendants off with when parents sign up for the kids club and they have two children they have them pay for one child, or if you have three children paying for two children and getting the third in for free. That pisses us off because the kids club gets nothing out of it but more children. We also love when the front desk and even our manager pockets the cash the parents give for the kids club.
    To sum it up LA Fitness is the worst employment I have ever been with. It will get me through school and that is it. If I worked with [censor]s in kids club I would have quit but I like the people I work around. I would not recommend employment or membership to LA Fitness, no wonder they are no for being a ghetto gym now. If I was looking into gyms personally I would look into the YMCA or doing a class at the local community college which is only 26 dollars for three months. Thanks for reading this long rant but it helps to get it off your chest.

• Pa
      7th of Feb, 2011
    LA Fitness - Awful sales guys
    LA Fitness

I have been working out here for a while and it seems like the sales staff is only getting worse. They have no respect for anyone, they use foul language, and I have heard them yell at the front desk people and trainers. The Training sales guys are even worse, they continue to come up to you while you are working out to try and sale personal training to you. If you say you aren't interested they will respond with a condescending remark like "thats ok I know you couldn't afford it anyway" that's what was told to a lady on a machine next to me the other day by a guy name Tony. Turns out he is the manager for training. The place is clean and if you work out in the early morning or late night you don't have to worry about the [censored] that work there.

• St
      8th of Mar, 2011
    LA Fitness - Offensive Rap Music
    Frisco
    Texas

LA Fitness club started playing loud, offensive rap music the whole evening.
    They removed Fox News and replaced it with controversial CNN.
    Membes leave weights and trash all over the floor, and staff does nothing about it.
    Interfaced with a sales staff person that was very immature and rude.

25th of Mar, 2011

This is for Anonymous232 just so we are clear. You worked for LA Fitness for 4 years and you worked closely with the owners- I'm only gathering this from your description of how they were acting (though I honestly don't believe you were in that high of a position)- yet still you don't know how to spell either of their names correctly... Darn no wonder they fired you, I would have too! And seriously guys it isn't what the owners/ bosses are doing incorrectly, it is what you are doing incorrectly. Sooner or later you are going to realize all owners of companies ultimately want the same thing. They want their company to succeed so they put their heart and soul into their company. They do what they love and they hope you feel the same way about your job. And if you don't show the effort that they believe their company deserves then you will ultimately get fired. So for all the ex-employee complainers in the world stop half-assing your job and maybe your boss won't fire you! And maybe once you actually start working you will realize how much pleasure it brings to your life. So instead of spending all of your lazy [censor] time blogging about how much you hate life, you can actually have one. And if you don't end up enjoying your work, maybe you are in the wrong area of work. SO QUIT! No one is stopping you. Enjoy life and stop [censor]ing complaining!!! You all are just little annoying jealous pests. I am going to give you a brilliant idea.. GET A [censor]ING LIFE!

PS: Life is not all about money. Not all rich people are happy, and not all poor people are sad.
    Money has no correlation to the quality of your life. Unless you are greedy. And from the looks of your blogs, greedy is exactly what you are. (Most of you at least)

25th of Mar, 2011

Forgot to add this in my last remark.
    There isn't house in Malibu... You honestly do not have a clue what you are talking about, do you? Get your facts straight.
    And by the way I don't believe your complaint. I don't think you have worked at LA Fitness, and you obviously don't know anything about the owners. So stop your lying, complaining, and rude remarks. Because liars go to HELL.
    On another note, putting other people down will make you feel better? Sorry hun, life doesn't work that way.
    KARMA IS A [censor]ING [censor]!!! IT WILL HAUNT YOU UNTIL YOU DIE IN HELL!
    XOXO. Have a good life. Because your afterlife is going to burn you to ash.

• Fu
      1st of May, 2011

HAHAHA WOW I so agree with this article 110 %. I am a certified personal trainer, I was discriminated in the hiring process, as soon as I told HR I am hiring a lawyer they give me a job. I only like my fellow workout buddies that I see there other than that this fuking gym and its managements is ### ! my GF a 5 Year personal trainer got fired from a new [censored] manager who is FOB from India and doesnt know jack ### about management. I am a business Major and know a lot about businesses and Hands down this is the worst worst place for any trainer to work at.

• Ow
      11th of Jun, 2011

Good for them. Fox News is not a real news channel.

• Sm
      18th of Jun, 2011

Ive worked for LA Fit for 4 years... truth in both sides guys. It depends what club or employees you have experienced. As far as sales being shady or arrogant... welcome to a common characteristic of ANY sales employee, not LA Fitness sales specifically. Kids club employee... at my gym EVERY front desk and kids club staff is CPR certified if they work a shift alone, it is company policy to have at least 1 CPR/AED certified staff member to be in the building at all times and toys are sterilized after EVERY shift at my location... sounds like a crappy operations manager, not a crappy company.
    For interested customers... just remember to read anything you sign. Fitness memberships are month to month and easy to cancel without further billing, IF you do it the right way, so read what you sign, dont believe what somebody you dont know tells you... big mistake.
    For interested employees... They'll give you a pay check but no commitment to you or your future. Kids club, training, operations... all good side jobs, but no career. Working operations I easily average $12-$15/ hr, but its part time.
    There is good and bad to it all.

• Po
      25th of Jul, 2011

Yeah I cancelled my membership soon after hearing too many complaints, but LA fitness known as LAF still has been charging my credit card. On the contract it says if before 3 days of use, you can go to the LA fitness where u enrolled to cancel instead of certifying mail. However these people still charge the credit card. I JUST CANCELLED THE CREDIT CARD.

• Cu
      1st of Aug, 2011
    La Fitness Gym - Rusty Fitness Equipment
    LA Fitness Gym

Have you ever seen such a poorly run fitness center as la fitness. The Huntingdon valley, PA is one of the dirtiest, poorly run, and lacking new equipment gym I have worked out in many years. All of the straight bars have a layer of rust that does not allow for easy removal of weights. Not that anyone there reracks, just gives another excuse not to. There must be some sort of health violation that the particular fitness center is seriously violating. Could you imagine they are gettin 40.00 a month from new members and they are introduced to a DUMP! Luckily I pay 99.00 a year and I’m think that is too much latley. This is the furthest thing from turn key fitness, its more like rusty, petrified fitness if you ask me.

• Ho
      4th of Oct, 2011
    LA Fitness - Horrible customer service at Cincinnati
    oakely location
    cincinati
    Ohio
    lafitness.com

I have been experiencing the worst customer service at LA fitness and am unable to get in contact with the right people to help me. Previously, when I join the young lady that sign me and my friend on my account gave us the wrong tags, instead of documenting the tags correctly they let it go on for months. When I request for someone to be taken of my account they kept charging me for that person so I tried to cancel my services. I have spoken to the Operational manger several times and each time he gave me a phony name. I call the customer service line for them to tell me that they do not have Manny Crowley, that they have Lawrence . On the 22nd I got a call from the sales rep willing to wave all the past balances if I rejoined, I told her I would be the only one rejoining she debited my account and told me I shouldn’t have any problems. Well, today I go in and was treated very poorly by a young black man, he gave me a phony name wouldn’t give me his supervisor's name or number, also refuse to let me speak to someone else and threaten to charge my account for the past due balance that was suppose to be waived. I asked to get the corporate contact and he said is corporate and that everyone reports back to him. I really love coming to the gym because the other trainers are very sweet and even the cleaning crew speaks and helps me out. But I am so disgusted at the treatment that I received today that I don’t want to come back. The treatment that I received today was not only unprofessional, but also very unethical and I refuse to invest my time or money where I can not get treated right. Several times I have address this young man that he has my account documented wrong and for him to be so selfish, and indignant to correct the situation and provide go face to face customer service is shameful on your company.

5th of Dec, 2011

This is the worst place i have ever worked at. They dont care about their employee's. Im 19 and i bust my ### going back and forth for the little clients i have. I dont have a car so i take the bus. My boss tells everyone to not give me clients. Im a damn good trainer. I once was 269 pounds! I am now 180 solid! I know how to train i love this job without him in it. I love my clients i live for this and all i ask is for some respect!! i dont get any. I will never come back here again. I cant wait to get new openings..

• Co
      4th of Feb, 2012

United Employees Law Group is currently suing LA Fitness in a Class Action in California on behalf of employees. If you are a personal trainer now or have been in the past 4 years, please contact the law office at www.paymeovertime.com

• Dr
      29th of Feb, 2012
    LA Fitness - Dishonest practices
    Tacoma
    Washington
    Phone: 6th ave

LA Fitness signed my wife up for a membership that charged her weekly dues when she thought she was going for a 1 week trial membership. When I called to complain they stated that they had her digital signature.

• Si
      10th of May, 2012

I totally agree with this!! 100% I just wish I would have read it before I applied to LA Fitness. I went in to get a job and walked out with a job (: I was pretty proud of myself. For what is worth, I thought that LA Fitness was fairly clean and they have a pool! Which was a total plus for me. NOW I COULD CARE LESS! I worked for LA Fitness for 3 weeks...maybe 3 1/2. Anyways, from day 1 the managers did nothing for me. Like most of the comments above, there was no training involved (I worked with operations), the managers couldn't give two ### about what happened in the gym, and there was no communication whatsoever. I have NEVER had problems with employment, yes I have screwed up a couple of times, but nothing to terminate me! After working for a couple weeks I noticed that I wasn't on the schedule for the following week. So I politely texted my manager and asked him what was going on...no response. So I called into the gym and talked to my GM and she said (and I quote), "There aren't enough hours for operations right now, I will call you back IF I put you back on the schedule" Why thank you for making that so clear!!! If the fact was true that they didn't have enough hours I would suck it up and move on, BUT the fact is that it wasn't true. The day before I called they hired a new employee (he actually answered the phone when I called), so basically I was lied to, laid off, and slapped in the face.
    I absolutely hated working there. Employees owed me money for EFT's that they stole from me, told me that they would pay me back, BUT COMPLETELY DIDN'T.
    Alright I could seriously go on a huge rampage, but I'm going to refrain myself because the bottom line is that I will never be going back to an LA Fitness to work or workout in and you shouldn't either. These comments aren't for the good of us to get things off of our chest, but to warn future customers or employees of the hell that you will go through. And yes like someone mentioned before, not every LA Fitness is necessarily bad, but it sure sounds like they're a lot that are.
    I'm just thankful for learning and getting out. Oh and I have an awesome job now. (: All better.

• Ki
      16th of Nov, 2012

I totally agree with this post! I am a current employee of the Kids Klub and have been for the past 1.5 years. The turnover rate here is ridiculous and management relies on staff members to keep everyone informed of things. I'm currently on my 4th Operations Manager since getting hired as the people that LA Fitness hires are either WAY too young for the position or inexperienced. My last OM was quite a bit younger than me (I'm in my late 30s and work in the Kids Klub in the AM while my kids are at school), and she felt that she could just boss me around. I was even told "there's other employment opportunities for you if you don't like how things are run here" by her. My co-workers, too, are young (either teens or early 20s) with NO kids or no experience with kids. They complain every time a child whines or cries and frequently comment on how kids react to things as "annoying". They, too, basically watch TV and get paid for it with very little interaction with the children. If there actually was a dire emergency (split lip, bad fall, etc.) I don't think my co-workers would know what to do or even what kid belonged to what parent to find them in a very quick and efficient manner as there's times where I come in and a child is in need of their parent (had an accident, their two hour time limit is up, etc.) and no one seems to know what kid belongs to what parent.

Employee coverage also... I have to practically be DEAD to find anyone to work for me as if you're not in the same click (my co-workers are all friends and got each other hired) you're an outcast. I tell them how things should be done as I'm a parent of two. I have to bring in doctor's notes to get coverage as our current temporary Operations Manager is young with an occassional attitude also and WILL NOT help you find coverage. It's our job if you need someone to work for you and I always get an automatic "NO!", so I go to my doctor and force management to give me off and actually due their job to juggle the schedule around.

Kids Klub Sanitation... Yeah, right. I don't think the toilets have been scrubbed in at least a year as Club Pride (janitorial staff) rarely gets in the KK other than to change the trash. Nothing is cleaned or sanitized, to include toys, unless I do it myself as the other staff members feel it's "not their job". Every job you have to clean a little. I don't care if it's the gym, McDonalds, or wherever. Maybe my co-workers will care when there's finally a lawsuit due to lack of cleanliness or lack of response time when I child does get hurt as we are not CPR certified (unless you also work front desk).

I do this for minimum wage since I enjoy working with children. Many of the regulars know me by name and actually look for me on the days that I do work. It, too, gives me something to do when my kids are at school. Would I recommend this to anyone else my age? Heck no! They don't care about you at all. I barely even get a hello some days and I've yet to actually have our new General Manager greet me even though I've waved to him through the window sometimes. If you're not involved with making the company money such as a manager or a sales person, you're mincemeat to this company.

Thanks for reading my rant.

• Jl
      17th of Dec, 2012

If you support LA Fitness Pro Results/Body of Change (they change the name whenever they're being sued) then you are supporting MODERN DAY SLAVERY!!! The trainers get "paid" $6.00 per session ($4.50 after taxes). They're not promised an 8 hour day or a 32 hour week, so they can be at LA Fitness for 10 hours, if they train 2 clients that day, they "earn" $12.00 that day. The trainers get no sick days, no holiday pay, no vacation pay, no personal days, no medical benefits...not even a lunch room! The "managers" get commissions for selling you a session that's suppose to be for 60 mins, but the client only trains for 30 mins with the trainer. When the "managers" tell you they're talking to the "Corporate Boss" to get a "Special rate" for you, they're talking to a fellow associate in another section of the same gym, promise you free sessions (which they take from other clients who lapse using thier sessions, probably because they're disgusted with the lack of professionalism, but can't get out the contract unless they pay a 50% cancellation fee!), & when you finally figure out what's going on & call whoever to complain, GOOD LUCK! Be prepared to get lawyers involved if you want your money back, because that's what it's going to take. Congradulate the ppl of Wynnewood, Pennsylvania who banded together as a community & voted NOT to allow the LA Fitness Signature Club (coporate slave ship) into their community. Support your community fitness facilities staffed by members of YOUR COMMUNITY who actually care about you! Not LA Fitness corporation employees getting paid slave wages while being ordered to smile at you & rob you at the same time.

• Fi
      1st of Apr, 2013

Gym is dirty /Equipment needs to be replaced ( same equipment from the day they open ) people that work on the weekend do nothing no paper towels crap all over the floor they could care less

27th of May, 2013

My daughter is an employee at L.A Fitness in Lou. Ky. She only works there because she is also a college student and has a hard time finding employment that works with her school schedule. That being said, she works on some of her days off, has worked in the day care has filed in and covered others that call in regularly and has worked most holidays. She is bullied on a regular basis by a young lady name Kayla. I've heard this named mentioned by several others that work out at that gym and none of the info. I have received is good. Why does LA Fitness continue to keep people like this on payroll and allow people like this to threaten employees with being fired when they have to call in 1 time for an emergency? Clearly, L.A Fitness does not care about the wellbeing of it's employees.