L and T Electronics (Landtelectronics.com) / Same scammers, different website!

The same group in New York/New Jersey area is back at it. They publish prices on their website about 15-20% lower than anyone else and then do not deliver. When you call to find out where your camera is they say that it is not available at that price (they wanted $100 more in my case). They try to sell you additional lenses and batteries at outrageous prices and, if past history with these clowns is any indication, will likely ship you refurbished goods as well.

If you still feel like ordering from them (the thought of 20% off is a powerful thing), don't order from them online. CALL THEM instead and see if they will even pretend to honor their website's price. Be sure to ask specifically if it is new in an unopened box. Be sure to ask if it is the US retail version. These are words specifically avoided on their website so they can keep your shipping fees and 15% restocking fees.

Since you may end up disputing the order with your credit card, try to use a card that you don't normally use and have no balance on. That way, when you dispute the payment, you can be sure to not accidentally pay.

If you do get them to deliver and they ship you something materially different than what you ordered, you will likely have to go to court to not be out of pocket for something here. By law, you're entitled to not be out a penny, but your credit card company's dispute policy is not based on fairness nor does it try to mirror the law. Anyone who's tried to sue in small claims will tell you that, even when you win, collecting from disreputable companies is a nightmare as well (if possible at all).

You would start by insisting that the vendor send a prepaid shipping label to you for the item and dispute the payment with your credit card company. You should also insist that they send you the correct item but keep the payment in dispute until they do. Unfortunately, your credit card company will insist that you pay for return shipping if the vendor refuses (expect that they'll refuse). Once you have a tracking number showing that the package (you should also have photos of the item being in the box) has been returned, expect for your credit card company to honor a 100% refund of the amount of the charge. Don't settle for losing restocking/shipping fees. Not even credit card company's policies are that crooked.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like this is common in the New York/New Jersey area. But it is pretty sound advice for about any purchase from an unknown vendor.

Comments

• Jt
      21st of Mar, 2007

I attempted purchase of Camcorder from L and T Electronics and Photography in Brooklyn. Simply put. They are thieves – Internet shopping predators of the worst kind. They billed my credit card immediately – via HotBuysElectronics.com -- and promised delivery “within a few days”. It never came – and worse.

To make a long, ugly story short, after several more calls by me and more false promises from them, three weeks later, still no camera. Then the credit card I had used with them started to have “suspicious” (as the bank puts it) overseas charges made to it. The bank caught it, and cancelled the card. L and T sales people were always polite and reassuring, placating me while they were simultaneously stealing from me.

I am sorry I ever contacted L and T Electronics and have cancelled all dealings with them. I had even researched them before the purchase. Despite that I got burned. Don’t be fooled by their slick web site and their fake “testimonials” from customers. It’s all a lie to suck you in and swindle you. You could be risking identity theft as well as robbery. I would warn everyone else to stay far away!

BEWARE OF THESE THIEVING SLIPPERY SNAKES!

Wish I had seen your site, https://www.complaintsboard.com, sooner.

• Si
      21st of Jul, 2007

Nearly fell into the same trap myself. Researching them seemed to turn up nothing bad initially - I didn't see this! I tried ordering a Garmin GPS from them, however things didn't seem right when they asked for a fax of my credit card using an email that didn't reference the order, all in capital letters, coming from landtelec@aol.com - an AOL account!

Ah huh. So much for the Internet opening up smaller traders, since my advice is to stick with the well known brands to avoid being caught out by these thieves.