KyLinTV / Bad Kylintv billing practice

US Review updated:

I purchased KylinTV service and later cancelled the service on 7/23/2009. Kylin service person told me that once they successfully charge my credit card for the last bill (of $33.98) and cancel my account in their system, they will send me an email for instructions on how to return the TV settop box. I received the instruction email on 7/28/2009 and ship back the settop box. Everything looked smooth at this moment, but there is a catch later. Read on... A few weeks later, I received a letter from Kylin's collection agency named "Saturn Systems" and the letter demanded me to immediately pay $58.98 otherwise they "are committed to use whatever means necessary and proper to secure payment". On 8/27/2009, I called Kylin about this matter and they admitted that there is an internal billing issue that mistakenly failed to charge the last $33.98 bill which caused the problem. Kylin was able to charge $33.98 after they try it again. On 8/28/2009, I called Kylin again to check if the last payment went well. They acknowledged that they did receive the payment. However when I asked them to restore any damage to my credit scores, and make sure that my credit score won't be ruined by this error caused by Kylin, they refused to do so. It is rediculus for a company to immediately direct unsuccessful payment to collection agency without trying to contact its customer first! It is also rediculus for a company to refuse a confirmation to its customer that they will try to recover the damage caused by their own fault.

Iw

Comments

• Iw
      Aug 27, 2009

I certainly would not recommend kylintv to anyone, they have very bad billing practice. And you would easily end up with bad credit score because of keylintv's error in their billing process.

• Dp
      Oct 25, 2010

I signed up Kylin TV program last year; it was a big mistake! Programs were stopped or interrupted so often, we barely watched it, even I have 20 mbps cable internet connection. After contract expired, I sent the set top box back and asked for $50 deposit back, but the money never come.

First, they said they had credited my account and asked me to call my credit card company with a "reference code" which was Kylin's internal job number. After many calls to Kylin, Kylin admitted "transaction didn't go through" and promised me second "transaction".

However, the money didn't show up after three weeks. In short, Kylin is the worst and the most untrusted company I have deal with.

Jun 28, 2011

Dear Iwan,

This is Joycey Guo, Customer Care Specialist of KylinTV. I am very sorry to hear about your story, and I would be feeling frustrated as well if I had such a bad experience like you.

As KyLinTV customer base is growing drastically during the past years globally, we are working hard to expand our capacity to handle every single case like your case. We are sincerely trying our best to give our customers highest satisfaction.

Although your case is from 1 year ago, I still would like to take care of your case and ensure your full satisfaction and give you the best we can. If it's our mistake, we definitely wouldn't refuse your request to remove AR from collection agency. About $50 STB deposit, we would refund back to your credit card within 4-6 weeks after receipt of STB, or around 8 weeks if refund on a check. We couldn't reject the possibility of your credit card account issue within that period of time which leads to failure of collection or refund. You can reach me at [protected] or 1.877.888.9598 ext:8448, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. Or please kindly let me know your contact information so that I can email or talk to you and look into the details of your case.

We want to let you and other customers like you feel that we are responsible and responsive to any customers issue, and we do care about you.

Sincerely,

Joycey Guo
    Customer Care Specialist
    KyLinTV Inc. 1600 Old Country Rd., Plainview, NY 11803 USA
    joycey.[protected]@kylintv.com
    [protected]( Toll-Free: 1.877.888.9598 extension 8448)

Apr 03, 2012

I had terrible experience with Kylin TV, I will tell every friend of mine to stay away from this company!
    I had one year package with Kylin TV and continued with another yearly package for my parents, however, they still charged to my account even I clearly told one of their representative -- please stop my pogram after my yearly package is done...now they are sending me the bill for the service that I did not request at all...
    any kylinTV customers, please switch to Charming China, they only charge $5.99/month with 50+ channels and 10+ HD channels, hundreds of new film -- all free!!! i was paying Kylin TV for $360/year with this terrible customer service.
    In order to stay away from the harrassment from kylin TV, I agree to pay the money they asked, luckily, my credit card was changed, they stopped their service, so the bill would not be scary! the representative talks like a answering machine, "this is my company policy"...Kylin TV will go bankruptcy for sure, just the matter of time!
    again, stay away from the terrible company!

Apr 03, 2012

again, stay away from the terrible company!

• Ha
      May 01, 2012

i paid one year in full to Kylin in 2010, did not watch any after 5 months. the top box was trashy at most, the whole family WIFI security has to downgrade to match its outdated settings. i could not cancel since paid for one year and finally after 12 month was persuaded to keep the box until next time if i need to reactivate my account, at no charge! that was mid 2011. then in mid-Jan 2012, i finally wanted to fully cancel Kylin and fedex'd the crappy box the next day. i then had several biz trips and a surgery afterwards.
    nothing happened until 2 month later, end of March, LETTER FROM SATURN SYSTEM told me i owe them total $74 in debt. i spoke with ERIN, id 6015 at least twice before today (will call again) and both times she promised to investigate from their end and SHE LIED... i absolutely heard nothing from them at all.

2 months passed and no one from Kylin ever contacted me for not receiving the box, and this was immediately turned to the "no-response-at-all saturn systems", all saturn did was send me 3 letters asking for money, which in parallel i was waiting for some feedback from ERIN.

STAY AWAY FROM KYLIN, THESE CHINESE BUSINESS ASK FOR ONE YEAR PAID IN FULL, this is a robbery. no other business of the same line would ask you pay advance more than 3 months.

Saturn systems business model is nice too, send you 3 mails to earn $25, no need to answer phone calls or emails etc.

May 11, 2012

Kylin TV Customer service contacted me and removed the financial charge, I have already sent back the box to them.
    I am not sure if I can remove my comments, but anyway, to be fair, there is followup from their CS.

• Ha
      May 16, 2012

-- Update [protected] --
    I was able to speak to one responsible representative on May 2nd and provided my credit card statement showing FedEx charge of the returning the top box. She then went ahead and dismissed my case at KylinTV and Saturn systems.

Not sure how to remove my previous comment, but I am no longer hassled.
    -- End --

Aug 28, 2012

Dear Wendy,

Thank you for contacting me and giving me the opportunity to have your case resolved by April 26th. Again I really appreciate your time and you have already understood this misunderstanding is coming from your miscommunication to us.

Now as everyone understood and can check official statement from www.gw-tv.cn . KyLinTV is the ONLY IPTV company that was authorized to broadcast TV channels from Great Wall Package in North America. And KyLinTV is the ONLY company that delivers real HD quality Chinese TV stations outside of China. All other company claiming copy rights or HD are misleading and cheating customers.

As your case has been solved already in April 26th. I hope you have a wonderful day! Should you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

Joycey

KylinTV Customer Service Specialist
    [protected] ext 8448
    9am-5pm EST, Monday-Friday.

Oct 14, 2012

I am really angry at Kylin Tv too.
    I received an email yesterday saying that they are charging me $12.99 for subscribed TV services. But the thing is - I NEVER SUBSCRIBED TO ANYTHING. They are so sneaky too because the receipt in the email had no date. It looked like a scam but the sender was indeed from [protected]@kylintv.com. I have already cancelled my services with them last year, and now they decide to suddenly charge me again??
    It really sucks that I cannot erase my credit card information on the website, because they can charge me whenever they want to???? I hope Kylin service can resolve this issue because I am not paying a penny.

Dec 18, 2012

It was a nightmare to sign up Kylin TV program service for two years; During the last two years service. I often met with watching their TV program troubles like some TV programs not available for a few days or weeks due to their TV service program technical problems. All I can hear from their technical support was that they would report the technical problems. That's it. Finally, I waited to the end of the Kylin TV service contract without renewal and returned the two boxes back to Kylin TV.

Even though they acknowledged the receipt of the all equipments in early October this year, but my $100 security deposit just never comes back to me. I called Kylin TV Customer Service in October, November, and December repeatedly. All I can hear from Kylin TV Customer Service was that they would mail out the check in two months. But now it's over two months of what they promised me. The latest words I heard from Kylin TV was that they wanted me to wait another two months for then to mail out the check, which will be February next year in 2013. I don't know what's wrong with Kylin TV by keeping holding the refund of my $100 security deposit.

• Li
      Feb 04, 2013

I really regretted ever signing up for service from KylinTV. Anything wrong with their billing and they send letters immediately from collection agency without rectifying or even calling like any other service company.
    When I called customer service, customer service don't speak english. Someone on the line with broken english says I will get a call back. I never get a call back. I don't watch chinese TV, my parents do but I paid for the service. If you are operating business in North America, you ought to have customer service who speaks english!
    So much hassle with KylinTV, I will definitely not order anymore from them. It's good my credit card company changed the number so they can't charge whenever they want.
    The program isn't that great either, whenever my parents watch, it always hangs in the middle

• Wi
      Apr 29, 2013

I called its tech support for installation assistance. The person said "No English" to me and hung up the phone. I don't think they are operating the business in USA. I cancelled the service anyway.

• Pa
      Nov 22, 2013

I am very very very upset with the customer service and billing practice of Kylintv. NOBODY ANSWERS CUSTOMER SERVICE CALLS!!! While I was on hold I was automatically transferred to voice message. And even though I left multiple messages asking them to call me back. NOTHING HAPPENS. I am so upset now and do not know what to do.

Folks, NEVER NEVER use this company for anything. Yes, they are super quick in responding if you go ahead and buy a service, but from them on you are screwed and nobody will come back to help you.

• Wi
      Jan 13, 2014

I recently ordered Kylin TV telephone service, and later found out that it is not possible to reach a live custom service. This does not happy at a particular day, it happens every day. I have a plan of $0.02 / minute, but I can't check the minute usage in their website. I have to call to find out the minute usage but it is extremely difficult to get ANY one to talk to now matter when you call. I deeply regret that I started the business with Klylin.

Jan 27, 2014

is KylinTV going out of business? never be able to get through the phone after picking 3 different choices on their phone system (only one I didn't pick is 'Upgrade to 2.0"). I am waiting for them cancel my subscription (month to month). Hope I don't have to change my CC number to stop them from charging me.

• Da
      Mar 19, 2014

I ordered their service for my parents. It was originally $100 for the year. I would never agree to any contract for automatic renewal without review(I am particular that way). They went to China in Jan, and I did not receive any calls from KylinTV. But my Jan Credit card bill comes up with $253 charge from Kylin TV, who authorized them to renew it with 2.5 times the previous charge? I have been trying for a week to contact them, morning, lunch, afternoon, always end up in voice response system, and it will hang up in 5 min or so without reaching anyone.
    This is just bad customer service, and shady business practices. If I do not get any response from them this week, I will call my Credit Card company and reverse the charge. I see they can report us to collection agency, but there should be some consumer affairs or other places consumers should get their voices heard and problems resolved. Please post links here and we can file our complaints to someplace that matters.

• Wz
      Aug 30, 2014

I previously sent my inquiry to the support but did not get any meaningful answer.

To summarize, my problem is that because your setup box is not FCC compliant, it is interfering my HDTV reception.

Whenever I power on the setup box, I cannot receive HDTV signal from in-door antenna.

Meanwhile, I have Verizon setup box, blue ray player from SONY and satellite receiver from CCTV.

I can turn on those devices but my TV reception is not affected.

It is by this reason that I want to cancel my service.

the reason is very simple, your device is not FCC compliant, and it is interfering my other electronic devices.

It is not MY problem, but YOURS.

Please refer to the attached picture, every electronic device sold in US MUST be FCC compliant and has the statement printed on the device as shown the email I sent earlier below.

My request is that since it is not my problem, you should
    not charge me early termination fee when I cancel service
    kl

感谢您的支持

谢谢

麒麟电视客服中心

But YOU DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION "WHY YOUR SETUP
    BOX IS NOT FCC COMPLIANT"?

FCC rule states every manufacture should print following
    information on the device:

“The device compiles with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the

1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and
    2) This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation”

For this, I will file a complaint to FCC (USA).

There are strict regulations in US (also in Canada) about this matter. If your device is not FCC compliant, then it is highly likely you will be out of business sooner or later in US and Canada.

• Da
      Dec 09, 2016

after all these years, kylin tv service still sucks. Calls to china are often lost or I couldn't hear anything after the other person picks up the phone. Unplug and re-plug the power helps sometimes. Much worse than iTalkBB.