Krogercheck out

I was at the Athens GA Alps Rd store this evening with my daughter. It was quite late, I was quite tired, I hadn't expected to be in Athens however the University van service didn't pick up my daughter from her final - which didn't end until almost 10:30pm. By the time I fed her dinner and went to get her some groceries for the next week it was almost 11:15. I say all that so you know the last thing I needed was attitude from your staff.

At that time of night only self check-out was available. Which I hate and never use normally - given I was unaccustomed to it and I had a cart full, add in exhausted, I was not the quickest. Throw in an exhausted daughter who has visual spatial issues who was trying to bag for me and figure out where to set bags as ran out of room it was not a quick check out.

So excuse me if I didn't realize this Kroger couldn't sell wine after 11:30. When I rang up it just said attendant will check (because obviously one would check ID). Then it cleared and said continue checking out on screen. I handed it to my daughter (who is 22 btw) and said just set up on shelf they'll need to check ID. She no sooner set it down than the attendant snatched it up and snapped - and yes I do mean snapped at me hatefully - that I can't buy alcohol after 11:30pm. I said oh I'm sorry I thought it was midnight. To which she snarked that it was state law 11:30.
1. I was pleasant even tho I'd had an exhausting, trying, evening. Don't speak to me in that tone of voice. I hadn't done anything wrong. I didn't argue. Truthfully I wasn't wearing a watch and didn't know the time. I kept a nice tone. I didn't expect to be snapped at like that not once but twice.
2. Maybe this Kroger should post a sign by the wine.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Athens, AL The bottle I got was at back end of store and I looked - didn't see one. Turning lights off along those coolers would help too, they were all on.
3. Actually it is this particular district. Which explains why in my area (I live an hour and a half away - keep in mind I'd had to drive up in bad weather no less) I was right - our grocer sells wine and beer up to 11:59pm. Given many come into the Athens area from elsewhere it is understandable we come from places with different policies and local rules...and different states. So seriously, I don't need attitude. Attitude which continued even afterward as checking out. Obviously your attendant is not happy working there and takes it out on customers.

I'd probably have let it slide but honestly, earlier this week while in my local area Kroger (not Athens) - and the time before that - your staff was on the scale of attitudinal to down right rude. Only one staff member stands out as pleasant there and that was before Thanksgiving. No one seems to care about their job much less appreciate a customer. So much so I was already thinking I would go to the Publix near me - same distance just other direction - because for the amount of money I spend weekly on groceries and meds I don't think it's too much to ask to at least be treated courteously.

So please know it's not that I couldn't buy the wine. It was the hateful tone, disrespectful condescending attitude like I was an irritating problem instead of a customer. A problem that apparently is system-wide with Kroger.

I know one thing. We will never step foot in the Athens Kroger again. There was absolutely no reason for her to be so hateful to me. She wasn't nice to anyone that I could tell - like I said I had a cart full of groceries so wasn't a fast checkout and could hear other conversations around us - it wasn't just me.

Vi