Kontakt Model and Talent Agency / Fraudulent Claims

1 Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

This company hires a sub company to go around to the smaller communities promoting modeling and acting searches. They take pictures and take them back to the "agencies "they represent, they charge you $50 if you are not selected from one of these companies your money if refunded. If you are chosen then you set a meeting with the agency and instead of refunding your $50 they take that money off the cost of your photo shoot. The photo shoot costs approx $700, then they will contact you with jobs and auditions. My daughter was only ever called once for an acting job north of the city that none of the regular city people wanted to drive to. They talked us into going to a convention that cost us another $1000 and my daughter got nothing out of this seminar and "auditions" with top agencies, top agencies were there but there were only 2 people chosen out of the 100 from this agency that attended, other agencies had better luck. After the year contract was up we were contacted to participate in a Miss Teen Canada Globe Productions Pageant this to was also a rip off that the agency has a hand in they supply this company with girls to participate in the pageant. It was poorly run, organized, just about everything about it was a rip off. Attending all day training sessions every other weekend for months, they changed the date of the actual pageant by a month because they only had 20 girls for the pageant. Parent had to pay $45 each to go to the intro night on a Friday, Saturday was talent and dinner portion costing another $50 each and the finals on the Sunday were another $50 each. The dinner they didn't have enough tables set up, dinner was almost 2 hours late and we didn't get home until 2am. This whole company and anyone they are associated with are crooks they too go on elaborate vacations and cruises. Watch out for Star Search, Star Cast, Star Talent these are the companies hired by them to hunt up kids for their companies to rip off!!!

Comments

27th of Jan, 2010

StarCast is a legit scouting company. They go from city to city holding screen tests for people interested in modeling or acting. They then sell these "leads" to agencies, who contact applicants they are interested in. They aren't a scam, they are just making services more accessible for everyone involved.

Before you join an agency, do your homework. Search them on Google, BBB, call casting directors and ask for references. Scams will be in and out within a few years; if an agency has been around for over ten years, it's a good bet it's legit. Don't worry about ACTRA - they are thiefs themselves. Joining ACTRA will cost you over $2500 just to become a full member, so they are the biggest scam out there.

ANY legit agency will fill you in on ALL the details before you sign anything. Any agency who gives you attitude, or has a "don't call us, we'll call you" policy is not a company you want to hire. Yes, that's right, YOU are hiring your agent. YOU are the boss.

Personal opinions:

Celebrity Talents
    M Models
    Orange Models
    Silver Screen
    ^There are TONS more out there

Source: I am a working model in Toronto.

17th of Feb, 2010

My daughter is represented by Kontakt Model Agency (since Nov 2008). Since being with the agency, she has down work as a body double in a made for tv movie, modeled for a catalog, 1 infomercial, and 1 television commercial.

She has been called for about 7 auditions, and has landed 4 jobs so far. Not bad.

Her agent is very easy to work with. If I call him, he always returns calls promptly. He answers all and any question that I ask(which is a lot).

My only issue is that I wish they would call her for more jobs, she loves working and being on set and taking photos.

17th of Jun, 2010

to anyone who has concerns regrading kontakt model and talent agency...my daughter has gotten quite a lot of work since joining the agency in Nov 2008. since my last posting she has done jobs for the Bay, and another infomercial.

in regards to money she makes, it all depends on the type of job she is doing. some jobs pay by the job whereas some by the hour. the agency, again depending on the job type, gets 10-15%. money is paid about 1 month after the job, which is ok with me.

i have great communication with the agency, either by phone or email. the booking agents always answer any questions that i have.

be prepared for spontaneous jobs...you get called the night before for a job, in most cases. if you are available that's great, if not, just let them know. however, don't be not available too frequent as no agency likes that and they won't send you for jobs. and sometimes you have to take the child outta school depending on what time the job's call time is for. but just arrange in advance with the teacher.

17th of Jun, 2010

one last thing to note...your agent gets you in the door f or open casting calls, it's up to your child to stand out amongst all the other talent in the room, in order to land jobs.

• Ty
      11th of Jul, 2010

This is a challenging industry to be in and there are so many angles to what you may desire. I don't think its fair to bad mouth an agency because the directors didn't choose your child for a certain job! Nothing in life is guaranteed, except death! True talent doesn't give up their dream regardless of the obstacles they face!! Sounds like you just black listed yourself by being so ignorant!

11th of Jul, 2010

I made the complaint because we didn't get called for jobs or auditions or just plain called at all. I do realize that this is a challenging industry and either you got it or don't. The agency doesn't choose you for the jobs so I wouldn't say they didn't choose her for a certain job, they never called for jobs!!! They never guaranteed any jobs or work just phone calls. Trust me the true talent didn't give up and has a legit agency now. I was pointing out the fact that they scammed us for money and photo shoots thet we didn't need to spend or do. I suggest you read the whole complaint, Kontakt was not the only one I complained about. As far as blacklisted...not likely but it certainly makes people question what Kontakt tells them as I have received many an email asking for further details and saved them for falling for the same scam. Your the ignorant one, at least I have a clear conscience and know I voiced my opinion as well as saved a few other people being ripped off of their hard earned money.

• Dr
      14th of Oct, 2010

Im thinking about going for the interview, but how much does it cost? I got rip-off by John Robert Powers, they wanted 10 000$, then turned it down to 5000$, then to 2000$ and we took it. And the classes where CRAP! I DIDNT LEARN ANYTHING! I just hope Kontakt is way better, and gets me auditions I like. :D

7th of Apr, 2011

MY Daughter has a photo shoot on Saturday. ontact modeling found her not the other way around. This agency we had been to for my daughters friends intrview. She is interested in acting. At the time my daughter was with Sotherland Modeling In down town TORONTO. we paid 1000. for this 10 week training program. SHe learned a little but a little also goes a long way. TH photo shoot this agency was very bland. They had my daughter in wear very plain clothes. We were not Happy and did not sign on, at the completion.
    For that was going to cost us another Appr. 300 bucks. !49 for admin fees, 80 for Comp cards, and 50 for 2 photos of our choice.
    But, Last week Kontact, found her, so now for the photo shoot. I will keep posted. While browsing thru their photos I found that the neighbor down the street is with Kontakt. I spoke to her, and she still did not steer me away.

8th of Apr, 2011

Very interested in how your shoot went. We just came back from our interview with Kontakt, They want 600.00 for a photo shoot(comp cards). I am a little leary as he came off as a salesman and was in a hurry to get back there in a day for the shoot. Still not sure weather to continue our booking with them.

• Ap
      10th of May, 2011

I was at another agency in Woodbridge, Profile Model & Talent, and they alsy wanted around $650 for a photoshoot. I do believe that it is a scam. They said that they would give a large portion of that money to their photographer, and that some of it would go towards 30 comp cards that we could take home... for my family...why would I want that? He definitely came across as a salesman, and not really an agent. I have a friend with a Legit agency in Toronto, and they have gotten her into 2 episodes of a popular canadian T.V. show, and the lead role in a feature film for a film festival, as well as some commercials. She didn't have to pay any sort of fees, especially not for photographs (The agent just took them herself). Also, this agency she's in either represents or represented Michael Cera...so yah... Don't pay excessive amounts of money for pointless headshots...it's a scam.

• Ki
      16th of May, 2011

I used to work for kontakt model and talent. They are a scam. They will take on anyone, regardless of their looks just to get their money during the interview. Their goal was to make at least $9000 a weekend from all the "models" they've scouted at malls, and local highschool fashion shows. Overall, they milk the parents, and avoid them when conflict arises. They have been blacklisted with ACTRA for fraud. They cant keep employee's because their treat horribly, and are completely unprof. I would never recommend them to anyone, just because of what iv seen and expereinced. **PLEASE do your research before signing on to any agency. This is one agency I would never suggest joining unless you plan on being ripped off and lied to by being told "your child has such a unique look and lots of potential!" and then barely hearing from them again. Their well known within the industry, and if you ask anyone, their known for all of the wrong reasons. Youve been warned.

• Co
      19th of Feb, 2019

@kitty5 I agree that this agency is a SCAM. My daughter paid the $50 and then came for the Photo shoot which we paid well over $700 for.
    We received one call that we went for an audition for and that did not amount to anything-I get it!!
    The next time I was called to take her the night before the shoot in downtown Toronto-I was a working mom and could not alter my appointments for the NEXT day.
    Never heard from this agency since.
    Nice pictures of my daughter-but not worth the money!!!
    Be aware!!!

27th of May, 2011

I would be if Profile Model/Talent Management at the following address is a scam? Has any one had experience with this company?
    6175 highway 7, Unit 2C, 2nd floor
    Woodbridge, Ontario
    L4H - 0P6
    nterested in knowing if

28th of Jun, 2011

Profile is a sister agency to Kontakt. Just as bad and a scam also. Do not go with either one as all they want is your money. Younger children seem to get some work but not the older ones. Been their did that what a mistake.

• Pr
      2nd of Jul, 2011

Dear Mommsy. As the owner of Profile Model/Talent Management, I would truly appreciate that you contact me directly at (905) 267-0778 ext 4 and tell me why you think my agency is a scam so that I can help you. I have not received any recent complaints from my roster and assuming that your children are on my roster, you know that I answer all complaints personally. Without knowing who you are and without you contacting me about your dissatisfaction, I cannot possibly help you. If you are not on my on roster as I know Appearle above is not, I do not feel it's possible for you to judge the professionalism of my agency as we never had the opportunity to get work for you. As a member of Breakdown Services, we get 50~100 job and audition opportunities every month and we do our best to see that everyone on our roster has a good chance. So please call me so we can resolve this. Or if you are not on my roster but just think we are a scam, I invite you to call me as well so you'll have a much better idea of what we are about. - Doug Peng

• Bi
      16th of Mar, 2012

I so agree that Kontakt is a RIP OFF. My daughter and I did the usual Best Western model search and they told us to go to Kontakt. We did and you are right $900 later with comp cards and photo shoot. I do not regret the photo shoot but was told could have gotten it cheaper by other photographers. So I waited for a call, and waited ... after about 10 months they called and said there is a casting call in Toronto for a catalogue shoot. No other information was given and after taken subway, ttc finally found the building. Went in and my daughter was the oldest there and not dressed in Christmas wear. I talked to someone there and the photo shoot (commercial) was to be for a mother/daughter Christmas time. Talking about embarrassing, did not let on to my daughter but I just felt like leaving I was so angry. I complained and they called back and told me to email him pictures. My daughter wants to be an actress not a model. She would love to have an agent to represent her as she would like to try for an interview in one of the books she is reading ... anyone out there know of someone and not a SCAM. Thank you.

• Ty
      16th of Mar, 2012

For the record we signed up my 4yr old son and niece and paid $500 for each of them! That included comp cards and photoshoot. He was in fact called once for a runway show and he could not make the audition. We were never contacted again.. Even after numerous messages to the managers there. My niece was never called at all. I eventually accepted defeat and gave up! I still have the owners on my Facebook. No big deal.. They will get what's coming to them.

• Pr
      17th of Mar, 2012

I am the grandmother of a 9 year old girl who just had her photo shoot last weekend. I was given a certain impression of what to expect when I arrived, including length of shoot. Things were much different than I expected. I shook off my negative feelings so my granddaughter could enjoy the experience. She shone! By the time she was done with the shoot, she surprised even the photographer with her natural ability. She rose to the challenge, sang and danced, posed like a seasoned model. This was the first photo shoot she has ever had in her life and what it did for her self confidence was worth $500.00. Even if she never got a call I'd have no regrets and the comp cards will still be useful.

2nd of Apr, 2012

Absolutely agree with everyone...Kontakt is 100% a scam and LIARS !!! Do not get involved with this company, you will only be disappointed. I will post this everywhere i can to warn parents cause i wish someone would have warned us.

• Cu
      13th of May, 2012

Despite the negative comments, we decided to let Kontakt have a shot. My daughter recently went in for her photoshoot, which included a professional photographer and makeup artist. I'll keep up to date on what happens next.

• Cu
      15th of May, 2012

A little bit of background information on the company and how it all started:
    Our story is quite similar to "momma of 2", we found an Ad in the newspaper stating casting calls. We attended. The photographer agreed to distribute my daughter's photos to various talent agencies, in hopes that they would take an interest in her, and call us. After a couple of days, we received a call from Kontakt Model. We agreed to go into the interview.
    Aside, I found out through a little research online that Kontakt is run by Tania and Frank Lucente, whom I believe are Italians. The interviewer, Bob Spataro, is Tania's father. Now usually, I would never post information like this online. But these owners should take on the full result of what they have done, whether it does turn out to be a scam or not.
    Anyways, we went into the interview with none other than Bob Spataro as the interviewer. It all seemed kind of sketchy at first. He never once asked any question regarding my daughters abilities, or experience. From the start, he sounded like a well-practiced salesman. He told us about how much money my daughter could make. How she would go "far". Even my daughter found it a little too much. We were expecting a formal interview, not a useless sphiel. Bob then asked us to pay a large sum of money to make my daughter's portfolio, around $500. He talked about a professional photographer taking her pictures to contruct it and etc. I was stupefied. He asked for money UP FRONT. Very unprofessional. Ignorant and unaware, I agreed to at least pay some of the fee, and left a downpayment. BIG MISTAKE. Advice for others, DO NOT pay anything up front. Once they have your downpayment, you are obliged (by contract) to pay the rest of the money.
    Leaving the building, I had realized I made a big mistake. After doing a lot of research, this company does not really have a positive reputable status within its customers. All the reviews I read verified its infamousy: it's a scam.
    Weeks since the portfolio was made, I have heard NO news from them, nor even the slightest update. I kept calling the agency but got no response or if I did, it would always be ### and words trying to hush the topic.
    More links regarding the scam: